Jamón Jamón - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jamón Jamón Reviews

January 5, 2016
A couple of the worlds acting elite in a very early film for both of them. This is an excelent story of love and lust in the middle of nowhere, Spain. It's pretty funny and, of course, pretty raunchy, so much so I had to abandon my plans to watch this on a flight about two minutes in.
½ December 31, 2014
All I can say is that if this is anything to go by, then the Spanish sense of humour is very different to mine. There are some great performances in the film, in fact, the whole cast (lead by Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem) are very good but my, is this an odd film. It's a bizarre tale of sex, jealousy and pork that I think has a potentially good, if twisted plot hidden in there. Sadly, this just doesn't shine through and many of the scenes are jarring and unnatural. The convoluted plot of the love triangles that exist between two families, one wealthy, one poor has some very dark and twisted moments and some that are completely unexplored. I can't, for example, for the life of me fathom why Bardem and his best friend feel it necessary to go an fight a bull naked in the middle of the night. It's a scene that just seems plonked in the middle oft he action with no real consequence. Maybe I'm missing the point but I'm afraid Jamón Jamón didn't really do much for me and certainly didn't make me laugh enough.
½ December 12, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

I was browsing through the library and I happen to stumble upon Bigas Luna's Jamon Jamon. The decision to give this film a watch was due to the fact that I wanted to be spontaneous and wanted to expand my mind to uncharted areas of cinema.

Jamon Jamon is a blend of many tones and wraps it around a tale of love, social class, and vulnerability. With every scene, one cannot predict on how the characters would react, as the film plays around with them and shows aspects of these characters that are unusually interesting. The characters driven by their sexual desires and impulses with contributing factors of social class and ambition that makes each one feel different from one another. The plot itself is melodramatic, and the Bigas' execution and the performances of his cast promotes this, leaving me at times cringing or sighing, but every once in a while he manages to surprise me with minor character development and raw magnetism from the film's cast. Jamon Jamon does not try to be luscious or sexually intimidating, instead it plays around with it, adding a comedic element to the character's reactions that keeps it from being overly serious or dramatic; which is why I find this film hilarious that when physical intimacy is not shown on screen, the film becomes operatic, but when it does start to get steamy, it manages to become funnily natural.

A central issue that I had with this film is the plot's lack of direction, not exactly knowing on what it is trying to say. Luna gives the material layers of symbolism and profound ideas but it gets lost in the fundamental narrative, leaving me only engaged with the superficial aspects of the film. The film's ending becomes dramatic to the point where one cannot empathise with the relationships portrayed on screen, but it never reached to a level of being frustrating.

Jamon Jamon marks the debut of the now-acclaimed Spanish actress Penelope Cruz. She was the perfect fit as this woman who is desirable and beautiful but she allows the character to not get lost in her physical sexuality; emotions and intelligence were fleshed out, allowing the decisions that she makes feel plausible. I found her performance to be brave, especially when it comes to the sexual aspects of the film, as it is clear that she is game for it and performs these scenes without boasting her own physical attractiveness; she keeps herself within the role and works hard to maintain strong emotional chemistry with her male partners. Javier Bardem, playing a man who is hired to seduce Cruz's character, was fine in the role but I have seen roles from him that are far more complex and through those he shows unrestrained dedication, while here he manages to scrape by with his inherent sexuality and does enough with it to keep his performance from feeling too stale.

Jamon Jamon was a challenging film, even if its storyline is cliché and melodramatically executed, as it manages to provide thought provoking imagery and situations, though it doesn't quite justify itself by the end, and supported by the astonishing leading performance from Penelope Cruz.
½ October 27, 2014
A fun and enjoyable flick. Ham, cheating, underwear, pigs and tits are keywords and it's a plesant mix.

It's off-beat and like few other films. It's pretty messy where everyone is involved in everyone in a way. It develops pretty good, and even if it's never laugh out loud funny, it's a pretty smart and stylish comedy.

Surreal, charming and very sexy at the same time, one of the hottest scene I've seen takes place one hour in or so in the film.
There are other quite remarkable and absurd scenes here, but I guess I won't give them away. This is one of Bardem's first flicks and Cruz's first full lenght-feature.
Their first meeting and one of two films they share screen time.

7.5 out of 10 bull balls.
½ September 14, 2014
Las clases sociales, el sexo y la comida son elementos presentes en Jamón Jamón, un clásico de Bigas Lunas. Con las actuaciones de Javier Bardem como Raúl y Penélope Cruz como Silivia. José Luis es novio de Silvia. El es hijo de unos padres ricos, dueños de una empresa de ropa interior en la cual trabaja Silvia, una chica humilde, de madre prostituta Silvia se quedará embarazada y la madre de Jose Luis quiere romper el noviazgo para lo cual contrata a Raúl un modelo de ropa interior y artesano jamonero para que enamore a Silvia.
September 1, 2014
Mah. The story wasn't that interesting, and also the director tried to focalize the attention of the watcher on some particulars that would like to be artistic, but that are just unintersting and totally useless to the filming and to wath's happening. The only part that partially saves the movie, is Javier Bardem's character, so rude that it was impossible to do it worst. And Penelope Cruz, of course.
May 5, 2014
After a promising start it falls apart. Still, nice tits.
January 1, 2014
19-?????? ???????? ???? ??????? ?????! ???, ????????, ?????! ??? ???.
½ November 20, 2013
Monday, October 1, 2013

(1992) Jamón Jamón/ A Tale of Ham and Passion
(In Spanish with English subtitles)
ADULT DRAMA

Starring veteran Spanish actress Penelope Cruz as Silvia who works at her boyfriend's men's underwear factory. And during one of their secret hookups, Silvia then informs her boyfriend that she is expecting. And instead of her boyfriend telling her controlling mother all about it since his mother hates Silvia and her family's guts because she thinks that Silvia is only a gold digger. Motivates the mother to hire a person named Raul (Javier Bardem) to see if he can shift Silvia's attraction to him instead and leave her son alone except that she too becomes infatuated with Raul as well.

At first it appears to look like the Spanish variation of "Romeo & Juliet" but it becomes much more than that. Both Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz who're a real life couple weren't household names in North America during the time of this movie yet and were just starting to make their mark. But by looking at the big picture, if you take away all the full frontal nudity particularly Barden's privates both back and front and Cruz's breasts and rear end this movie would be left with nothing else except to be another 'soap opera' people can see all the time since it also includes both the boyfriend's mother and father making passes at people their children's age, the Barden character screwing not just the girlfriend but also the mother as well. We can only come up with so much that nothing seems to surprise us or anyone else for that matter anymore.

2 out of 4 stars
½ June 16, 2013
Una tragicomedia con ese nombre sólo puede tener un contexto bizarro...
April 24, 2013
This spanish melodrama is both provocative and raunchy. Too bad Jamon, Jamon follows obvious paths.
December 29, 2012
This film made me even more beautiful.
September 8, 2012
Pelicula palomera, entretenida y divertida. En esta cinta aparecen dos ya veteranas chicas Tinto Brass, junto una jovencita Penelope Cruz con mas cuerpo que actitud, y a un Javier Bardem que ya mostraba su potencial de gran actor.
½ September 6, 2012
Guaca!
A crazy spanish sopa opera that I couldn't figure if it was trying to be a satire, a comedy or serious. I can't say I'd recommend it but it was quite enjoyable to see something so bonkers
July 29, 2012
Sex-spiced and quirky in the way the Spanish knows how, but Almodovar probably does sort of thing better.
July 22, 2012
haven't seen this for a while. one to revisit methinks.
½ July 4, 2012
A Very Dark but Enormously Successful Unique Film,
May 1, 2012
sex was just shooting out of penelope cruz's every pore in this spanish comedy. liked this highly entertaining film from the first five minutes on; javier bardem as an underwear model!
a very, very young (and breathtaking) penelope cruz plus a very macho javier bardem - more than enough reason to watch this.
warning : no prudes!
spanish cinema, here i come. first pedro almodovar, now bigas luna!
½ April 30, 2012
theres a good cast javier bardem(in really tight jeans!) jordi molla(my favorite spanish actor) and penelope cruz(i still have my doubts about her acting but)
it seems sorta low budget, but it has all the elemnts to make a weird, u have to talk about movie. its an acquired taste.
December 1, 2011
Jamon Jamon was imagined, I suppose, as a serio-comic examination of that situation where one lets his basic sexual instincts take control over his entire being. What makes it bad is, I would say, two things: 1) every person in it shares these characteristic and, as a an expected consequence; 2) they all become extremely boring at about twenty minutes into the film.

This was the first pairing of future spouses: Javier Bardem who, with his above the waist outfit could be considered as a predecessor to male characters from Twilight and Penelope Cruz. She plays a poor young girl Sylvia, who gets pregnant by her rich boyfriend Hoze Luis. Now, I know the thought of an abortion proposition immediately came to your minds, but no! Hoze Luis actually turns out to be quite noble and wants to marry Sylvia. The problem is his lack of spine, as he is not capable to fully confront his obsessive mother (Stefania Sandrelli) who thinks her son could do much better. She hires Raul Gonzales (Bardem) to seduce Sylvia and separate her from Hoze Luis. That intention is short lived as the mother soon starts to feel attracted to Raul and wants him all to her self. If anyone has seen few telenovelas, this kind of plot is familiar.

Speaking of that, the whole movie, in writing, with its one-dimensional characters, is a soap opera material which had to be elevated by director Bigas Luna in some way. Apparently, the most creative way he could think of was to throw in great amount of nudity and sex scenes. Most of them are pointless because the whole film is like that, and they are not very sexy to begin with. During the one between Raul and Sylvia I honestly thought that her contractions started. After that experience, she needn't worry about giving birth. It couldn't possibly be as painful as that sounded.

Javier Bardem has proven him self as a terrific actor over the years, but this is the single most uninteresting character I have ever seen him play. The fact that his Raul gets all the ladies shows us that Luna doesn't have much respect for women in general. By that I mean mostly on Cruz character, who should be the most sympathetic person here, but the script just doesn't give her credit.

I honestly don't know what Luna was getting to with most of the stuff he threw in here. There are a few musical moments which suggest his desire for a certain kind of mood or emotion, but I wasn't able to name it because he didn't achieve it in the scenes, and couldn't feel it because I didn't feel sympathy for none of the characters.

When it was all over, I realized that Jamon Jamon didn't do anything for me. It didn't even change my perception about the possibilities of using a ham. If I ever find myself in a situation where protection of my integrity is necessary, I think I will rather choose more conventional, already proven weapons.