Jane Eyre Reviews

• May 06, 2017

There wasn't much I liked about the film. The costumes and overall old-school vibe was great. Samantha Morton was an amazing Jane. I cannot say the same about Ciaran Hinds. His acting, in my opinion, wasn't the best, and there was no spark between them both. Throughout the whole film I kept thinking that he was a bit creepy and Jane should stay away. If you ask me, the 1977 version is not the one worth watching, but I do know that there are many people who love it. It's the perfect movie for those who love old films and are fans of the original novel. But to be honest, there probably are better adaptations of it, where the two leads mesh well together.

• Mar 05, 2017

This riveting adaptation of Jane Eyre is number one for countless reasons. The most important being the startling emotional engagement/first kiss between Jane and the dashing, esteemed Mr Rochester. The kiss is both passionate and tender, capturing their fiery yet gentle love through the lens of a Romeo and Juliet style forbiddenness that increases their romantic intensity. Mr. Rochester is the sexiest, sultriest, most alluring bachelor of Bronte's time. His captivating performance draws in audiences, allowing for an unprecedented intimacy. His articulate, yet gravelly voice is so enticingly masculine, yet sweet upon the ear, like peanut brittle. His facial hair is a wonder to behold, spanning the distance between his upper lip and his nose like the great Sahara desert. And his talent seems to have a direct correlation to the number of chins on his creamy, alabaster neck. Another high point of this film is the perfect quality of sound and use of sound effects. Particularly, when the horse does not open its mouth, but by the magic of movies is able to majestically whinny. And Jane's prominent forehead is beautifully accentuated by the fashion forward styling of her hair. All in all, no other adaptation compares to this one. The raw, aggressive emotion captured by Mr Rochester will captivate and attract any who have the privilege to lay eyes on his bewitching face.

• Dec 07, 2015

You cannot have a passionless Jane, and an unlikable Rochester. Crappy tv version is all cliches, cow eyed looks, boring, and most grievous of all - passionless. See the Orson Welles version and/or the Michael Fassbender version where ironic to the novel, the men are stronger and more interesting, and yet they are watchable and at least touch the fiery passions of the novel's Gothic brooding setting among the moors. Don't bother with this one - seek the classic from 1948 or the recent 2011. Both build atmosphere and mood, and are well played.

• Dec 25, 2014

"Jane Eyre" is one of my favorite novels to read, and this television-movie version is the most accurate to the book that I have found. Jane isn't portrayed by a whimsical beauty and Rochester isn't some Hollywood heartthrob - Jane is plain and sensible and Rochester is loud, rude, and initially unlikeable. Just as they were written. This movie was split into two, so they didn't have to cut out anything major from the book.

• Nov 07, 2014

Good adaption of a great book.

Good adaption of a great book.

• Oct 14, 2014

Definitely not my favorite between this and the 2011 with Wasikowska and Fassbender. There were a few moments here that I like, but I felt that the newer feature film was more beautiful and much stronger. I have yet to see the 2006 mini-series.

• Jan 09, 2014

The second version of Jane Eyre I've watched. The former is 2011 with a more handsome and vigourous Rochester. But, somehow, I prefer Ciarán Hinds. He gives a feeling of "The phantom of the opera" 2004: so mysterious yet incredibly protective, even when he is wounded. Samantha Morton has turbulent eyes. She may not be a typical Jane Eyre. But she fits perfectly as a sweet lover of this Rochester. How can a young lady be that determined while still appearing to be so delicate? p/s: Actually, Morton is nowhere near a beauty. But how charming she is in this movie :3

• Sep 13, 2012

Prefer other versions, but adore the film, the book , the writer. Pain and longing - make a great combo.

• May 24, 2012

This movie with Smantha Morton and Ciaran Hinds is my favorite. It's how much love brought on by Rochester to Jane Eyre that actually made me cry.

• May 04, 2012

samantha morten is spectral, though not the BEST jane eyre. but ciaran hinds is one of the best rochesters by far. worth seeing.