Jane Eyre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jane Eyre Reviews

January 7, 2016
Rich, beautiful and superbly acted adaptation of Charlotte Bronte's classic novel.
½ December 7, 2015
Stunning, atmospheric, passionately performed, elegantly gothic, and perfectly matches the novel by Charlotte Bronte. Plain Jane, FIERY heart.
A few lulls in the Jane character, but ready to forgive w so much more going on here.
The director meticulously touches on each important detail from the eponymous novel, and is visually and emotionally satisfying.
I did my high school thesis on this novel, and never wanted to see a typically uninspired movie version - I somehow had a feeling I should see this version, and it paid off in spades!
I love this one, it's brilliant in scope, passion, feel, eloquence, and truth.
4.5 of 5
November 4, 2015
This movie is beautifully rich with Gothic atmosphere and visual eye candy. Fukunga has a talent for framing scenes and shots.. unfortunately she lacks the skill to direct her actors properly.. Mia woefully miscast as Jane. Don't get me wrong, she looks the part, but she lacks the fire and passion Jane has in the novel.. Jane was serious in the novel but Mia just plays her cold and unfeeling, not one whit the character i have adored since childhood. It doesn't help that Fassbender delivers a bland performance as Rochester.. he is better than Mia but he plays it waay too serious. Rochester is serious in the novel, but he had energy, he had wit he had a sense of humor as shown by his teasing of Jane. This is the man who disguised himself as a gypsy woman to play a prank on his guests. He has a dark and brooding air which Fassbender doesn't have in this movie. he like Mia plays it cold and serious and it results them having zero chemistry and walk from scene to scene stiffly and make the wonderful wit and charm in the dialogue bland and lifeless. They don't make the relationship believable which leaves the movie flat and fairly tedious to sit through. the only time i ever saw them as Jane and Rochester was "farewell" scene when Jane leaves him which is probably one of the best in any adaptation. I don't blame the pair for this, many a great actor has stumbled and faltered from bad direction. i also have the same problem with the child playing Adele.. bless her, but again, she is too serious. where is the frivolous lively little girl who loved to dance? Not here apparently

Is there nothing to enjoy in this version? Well like i said, this movie is gorgeous to look at and is rich with atmosphere. Judie Dench is wonderful in the role of Mrs Fairfax. And the Farewell scene like i said is probably one of the best in any adaptation..

Overall, this adaptations is beautiful eyecandy, but it lacks the substance that makes Jane Eyre so enjoyable. it tries too hard to make it serious and dark which leaves it lifeless and bland and that in turn makes it loose the charm, mystery, beauty, and occasion sweetness of the original story.. Diehard Jane Eyre fans will enjoy one or two scenes and the general movie going audience who are not familiar with other adaptions or the book may enjoy it.. But if you want a passionate, visually beautiful adaptation's with life in them, i'd recommend either the 2006 BBC miniseries starring Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson or the 1983 version starring Timothy Dalton.

Until next time

Masked Hatter
½ September 24, 2015
Nailed it. I haven't read the book nor seen any other adaptations, but I can't imagine another delivering a more interesting, sad, and compelling take. Wasikowaska steals the damned show. Eat ur heart out Fassbender.
½ September 7, 2015
While I've never read the Bronte novel this is based on, the dialogue gives away the absolutely gorgeous writing style that clearly hasn't been lost in this film adaptation. It's flowery yet dutifully and beautifully delivered by the more-than-capable cast in this subtly steamy costume drama. Wasikowska turns in a convincingly earnest and heartbreaking performance as Eyre. Ornately shot, meticulously designed, and enchantingly scored, its dull tendencies are easily overshadowed by its skill and romance.
August 4, 2015
Jane Eyre is a brilliant adaptation of Charlotte's Novel and Mia Wasikowska delivers the greatest possible portrayal of the titular character!
½ July 22, 2015
A lovely, elegant adaptation, although I don't remember such a profuse amount of kissing in the book. Fassbender's version of Mr. Rochester is very intense.
½ July 22, 2015
I'm such a sucker for romantic movies. This is by far the best version of the story that I've seen. Way to go: haunting, romantic... flawless!
½ July 21, 2015
Wonderfully directed, but the story itself just never grabbed me.
June 24, 2015
The acting was wonderful, the setting was amazing. I will watch it again. Highly recommended.
June 19, 2015
This drama film based in the novel give the appropriate atmosphere to the story. The main actors contribute to it. Fassbender and Wasikowska are credible as the landowner and the governess and their age difference . Jane Eyre is not a common girl for its time, she has ideas from her own and discuss them openly with men. She is also not desperately looking for a husband, she deserves respect and is not an object to ornament a man's life. I shall read the book.
½ May 20, 2015
Highly unrealistic; a film in a which a character with the face of Michael Fassbender thinks he's ugly.
½ May 6, 2015
Don't expect a frilly period romance, this is dark, brooding and bleak, with great performances from Mia Wasikowska, and Dame Judi. Most of all I was really impressed with the child actors, too often films seem to forget to cast kids who can actually express human emotions with their faces.
The main detractor for me was pacing; the scenes prior to Thornfield lag, then after Jane and Rochester meet time flits by making every scene between them feel rushed.
There was one unintentional uplifting comedic moment - when the young Jane Eyre gets knocked out by head butting a locked door - add a laugh reel and it's better than any hopeless Adam Sandler gag - but here needed to be left on the cutting room floor.
½ April 26, 2015
Loved the story. Wish the end showed them getting married. I feel like they did a good job reflecting the book.
½ April 21, 2015
It's a cliché uttered by bibliophiles everywhere when a movie is based off of a literary work, but as an avid reader myself, I am going to say it anyway: the book was so much better.
While I enjoyed this adaptation, I felt that the characters lacked some of the depth they possess in the book. Jane and Mr. Rochester do not seem to make sense together. They do not particularly challenge one another intellectually or balance each other's shortcomings; at least not to the same extent that they do in the book. Jane has her bluntness, but less of her self-reliance and wit. Rochester has his harshness, but less of his humor and passion. Then on the other end of the spectrum we have St. John Rivers, who appears to be charming and personable rather than the cold, emotionless statue he is in the book. While under his care, Jane feels suffocated by his rigorous demands, and he shows no real affection toward her, only asking for her hand in marriage out of utility rather than love. And when she turns down his repeated, obstinate proposals, he essentially declares her refusal an act against God's will. In this movie, however, it seems foolish of Jane to turn down the sweet and enthusiastic St. John in favor of the brash and controlling Mr. Rochester.
With that having been said, what the story is missing in personality, it makes up for in beauty. The characters look fantastic (albeit perhaps a bit too pretty; St. John is said to be handsome, but Jane and Rochester are plain at best). The setting is breathtaking. The raw emotion captured by Jane as she collapses in the rain at the beginning is spot on. And I appreciated the unique way they arranged the sequence of events, starting with Jane coming to Moor House and retelling the story of her life as though she had started writing her memoir there as opposed to following the book chronologically. It added an air of mystery that immediately sucked me in. Over all, it was a well-made movie. It's just tough to convey 500 pages of detailed, first-person descriptions in a two hour film.
April 18, 2015
WOW......WOW.......WOW........WOW......JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH.......SURE IT IS NOTHING SPECIAL 2 WATCH BUT IT IS AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH.......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.......I think that Michael fassbender, judi dench, Jamie bell, Mia Wasikowska, sally Hawkins, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this romance/drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......I think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch........I think that both Mia Wasikowska as Jane Eyre, Michael Fassbender as Edward Fairfax Rochester were absolutely brilliant throughout this movie as the leading roles as they worked really well together throughout this movie........WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.......man this is such an enjoyable romantic movie 2 watch, its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......

Casting

Mia Wasikowska starred as the title character and Michael Fassbender as Edward Rochester. Fukunaga and the producers wanted an actress close to Jane Eyre's age in the novel, in contrast to many previous versions. Fukunaga liked Wasikowska's "sense of observation in her eyes" and that "[she] could communicate [Jane's inner turmoil] in a way that didn't feel theatrical". He felt her looks could be played down as required for the role. On casting Rochester, the director stated that while there were actors closer in appearance, he felt Fassbender had the spirit of the character. Jamie Bell, Judi Dench, Sally Hawkins, Simon McBurney, Imogen Poots, Holliday Grainger and Tamzin Merchant also joined the cast.

Production

The film was produced by Alison Owen's company Ruby Films, with financial support from BBC Films, Focus Features and Lipsynch Productions. The script by Moira Buffini appeared on the 2008 Brit List, a film-industry-compiled list of the best unproduced screenplays in British film. The story is largely presented by way of flashbacks. In October 2009, it was announced that Cary Fukunaga would direct the adaptation. Fukunaga had been in England promoting a film when he met with the BBC and learned about their plans for a new adaptation. The filmmakers decided to play up the Gothic elements of the classic novel. Fukunaga stated, "I've spent a lot of time rereading the book and trying to feel out what Charlotte Brontë was feeling when she was writing it. That sort of spookiness that plagues the entire story... there's been something like 24 adaptations and it's very rare that you see those sorts of darker sides. They treat it like it's just a period romance and I think it's much more than that

Critical reception

Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 86% of 138 critical reviews are favourable. The site's consensus is that "Cary Fukunaga directs a fiery and elegant adaptation, while Mia Wasikowska delivers possibly the best portrayal of the title character ever."

A. O. Scott made the film an "NYT Critics' Pick", saying "This Jane Eyre, energetically directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga (Sin Nombre) from a smart, trim script by Moira Buffini (Tamara Drewe), is a splendid example of how to tackle the daunting duty of turning a beloved work of classic literature into a movie. Neither a radical updating nor a stiff exercise in middlebrow cultural respectability, Mr. Fukunaga's film tells its venerable tale with lively vigor and an astute sense of emotional detail."

Richard Corliss of Time named Mia Wasikowska's performance one of the Top 10 Movie Performances of 2011

man this is such an enjoyable romantic movie 2 watch, it is such a very powerful drama movie 2 watch, it is such a really sad movie 2 watch, but it is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch with such a brilliant cast throughout this movie.......
April 10, 2015
Beautiful cinematography & fantastic chemistry between Wasikowska & Fassbender.
½ March 7, 2015
Beautiful cinematography and color palette.
½ March 3, 2015
Slow and dry, even by period drama standards.