Janis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Janis Reviews

½ June 27, 2015
Good Documentary That Doesn't Get in Its Subject's Way

Very good, narration-free documentary that intercuts performance footage with interviews. This is a straight compilation film, using then-existing material. I don't think there was anything shot specifically for this film.

For such an electric talent, it is especially good that the directors just stay out of the way, and not try to staple significance, meaning or whatever to their subject. They just let Janis Joplin sing and speak for herself.

And, that's the best thing you could possibly do for a Janis Joplin doc!
May 31, 2015
Its an interesting watch. Its all archival footage and it was put out just four years after Janis' death, but shows a lot of good performances. Documentaries of the time are a lot different then those made today and it doesn't have the incite we have on her life today either. It needed a narration or something to keep it going rather then being 80% performance. I think at the time though, they went for hitting emotions. I really enjoyed the Dick Cavett interview though and there were a few moments you get to see her true personality behind the scenes which is what really makes this film worth watching.
November 25, 2013
Wonderful documentary on Joplin. Oh the things we find on Netflix. Great old footage including in depth interviews and awesome concert footage.
blkbomb
July 7, 2013
Janis is a documentary/concert footage movie that I enjoyed because I love Janis Joplin and the whole hippy generation of music and lifestyle that she was apart of. As far as the movie goes, I expected a little too much out of it. I figured it would dive into some of her life, but really it was just dumb little surface issue interviews and a bunch of concert footage. Obviously it's watchable because Janis was a born performer and her eccentric, hippy atmosphere she exudes during her performances is trance inducing to watch. I just wish the movie would have strived to give us more information about Janis Joplin, but obviously the makers of it felt that they would just let her music to the talking for her. I can't really blame it for that I guess. The concert footage is really well done and it feels like you're at the concert watching Janis. The last concert shot of the film was the best, where Janis belts out, "Take another little piece of my heart now, baby" and invites the audience up on stage. She just keeps singing as all her tripping fans just dance around her.

Janis is worth a watch, but I would say you have to be a true fan of hers to really like it. There's not much in the way of substance, so if you like to watch documentaries on icons like Janis for their stories and facts on them, this isn't the movie for you. I would have liked the movie to go that route a little bit more than it did, but as it is, Janis and her performances are enough to hold this documentary up. So fans of the genre and of Janis should give this one a watch. If anything watching her live in concerts will just make you more of a fan then you already were.
June 6, 2009
Great documentary that relies mostly on archive material but manages to delve deep in her personality.
October 10, 2008
RIP Janis Joplin. 1943-1970.
½ September 12, 2008
Break another little bit of my heart now, darling, yeah, yeah, yeah
½ April 18, 2008
I've seen some mediocre reviews for this, but I loved it. The performance sequences are incredible, and the interview segments vary from poignant to funny.
February 16, 2008
I wish I lived to meet this woman in person. I love her, and this movie gave me insider view of one of my icons!