The January Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The January Man Reviews

September 8, 2017
I own this and watch it every New Years.. I fell in love with and identify with Alan Rickman's character and love this movie especially for his character.
July 2, 2017
Stellar cast but less-than-stellar results. Fired, but excellent, police detective is brought back to find the identity of a serial killer. Not taken seriously enough to make the end result worthwhile.
October 2, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie.
August 17, 2016
This was a film that I've always heard of an understood that friends had liked, but it eluded me to the point that I finally just recorded it out of curiosity off of cable to finally give it a day in court.

I liked but didn't love the movie, mostly because there's a bit too much humor in it for my tastes when you;re dealing with a serial killer, y'know?

The biggest selling point is Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and her big pile of sexy hair, because she looks amazing in this flick and I suppose I didn't mind Kevin Kline's jokes all that much, but I doubt I'll revisit this any time soon.

Rental.
June 27, 2016
The January Man is a disappointing film. It is about a former New York City police detective. Kevin Kline and Susan Sarandon give terrible performances. The script is badly written. Pat O'Connor did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ June 10, 2016
Former cop traces serial killer in this predictable but entertaining action comedy.
April 18, 2015
A movie that only could have been helped by not being made at all.
October 12, 2014
One of best and funniest comedy thrillers I have ever seen.
½ April 6, 2014
An indescribably bad movie, but fascinating in a 'what-the-fuck-were-they-thinking?' sort of way. A star-studded ensemble cast is basically thrown away on a confusing, pointless story.
August 9, 2013
I normally enjoy Kevin Kline but this movie was probably the worst movie I actually paid money to see with some expectations. A horrible script wasted the talents of Kline, Susan Sarandon and Harvey Keitel. By the way, the editing of the movie was so bad that a boon mic can be seen.
March 24, 2013
Low budget thriller but with some pretty big names. I can see the flaws, but it's still entertaining.
½ February 23, 2013
It could have been much better with a better script and some tightening of the plot
½ January 22, 2013
Fantastic cast, pretty good premise, but this movie is a complete dud. It isn't funny, it isn't thrilling, the serial killer's MO becomes completely unbelievable. Had this film had a better screenwriter and director, I am positive this would've been great because everything else is locked in. Really, really wish this cast had something they deserved.
October 29, 2012
It's not in the same league as: 'Lethal Weapon' or: 'Beverly Hills Cop' but it is still an enjoyable film, (with a great theme song).
January 2, 2012
The mystery is suspenseful, but when the murderer is revealed... "that's it?" -_-
October 4, 2011
Some barely coherent political cover up subplot kept me from getting hooked by this movie. Kline plays the funny central character who marches to the beat of his own drum. He isn't exactly welcomed when he returns to being a detective to catch a serial killer. Aiello plays the captain of police who butts heads with Kline's character. Rickman plays a quirky artist-type friend of Kline's. Mastrantonio wants the mystery solved because she was close to one of the victims, wants out from under the thumb of her father the mayor, and falls way too quickly for Kline's charms. The way the killer is tracked down is offbeat and while the movie has some good moments I found it strange that all these characters were thrown together in something so disjointed.
½ October 3, 2011
After watching a few minutes of this movie on cable, I checked the reviews for it on my iPad, and they were hostile. Fool that I was, I still kept watching and now am infuriated for the precious hours I wasted on it.

This movie doesn't know if it wants to be a drama or thriller or romantic comedy, and it mixes these elements in an arbitrary and ham-handed manner. I respect and love all the actors in it, but I'd like to kill the writer and producer. (Now THAT would be a thriller with a happy ending.)
June 8, 2011