Jason Goes to Hell - The Final Friday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jason Goes to Hell - The Final Friday Reviews

jamrcla
May 9, 2016
Yet again I struggle to get into the film due to the lack of questions answered like how did he survive after Part 8? And what the Fuck is going on in this film? It makes no sense, The kills were boring yet again, The only bit I enjoyed was a cameo from Freddy Kruger helps drag Jason to hell, Friday 13th went all too supernatural and turned a franchise that was just about acceptable to absolute garbage with more plot holes than I've had hot dinners.
½ May 8, 2016
Jason Goes to Hell, although still part of the official franchise timeline, can be viewed as a stand-alone effort for several reasons. It was the first (and only) F13 film released during the 1990s, the first to lack the "Friday the 13th" title card, lives by its own set of "Jason rules", and was, like its predecessor, entirely ignored by future sequels. By "Jason rules" I mean the newly introduced concepts that (a) Jason is a parasitic, body-hijacking demon who is seeking to destroy his remaining family because (b) only a member of the Voorhees bloodline can definitively kill him. It's a lot to swallow in one sitting so let's start from the top.

The film begins with an excellent cold open, dropping the audience almost immediately back into a darkened camp and recreating the kind of stark suspense we haven't seen since Part 2. Unfortunately it's also the highlight of the movie and the only point where it resembles a Friday the 13th film. Jason is dispatched as quickly as he's introduced and from there we get heart eating, body-jumping, and 90s lady bangs. The body of this picture in no way resembles the aesthetic we've come to know and your level of enjoyment depends on how willing you are to accept these fundamental changes.

I must comment on how stupid Jason's makeup is in this movie. He looks like a dirty ball of hamburger meat dropped in hair clippings that someone slapped a mask onto. Also, what's with the all denim outfit? I don't remember him being so coordinated with his fashion. Maybe it's better we were spared the sight of that greasy Canadian tuxedo for most of the film.

There's one clear question a fan has to answer when watching this: is the concept of Jason as an invading symbiotic organism stupid? Probably but, the way I look at it, at least he's in the movie. I certainly dislike how little screen time the hockey mask gets but I also respect the writers for doing something new that isn't cheesy or a thoughtless gimmick. New Line doesn't afford us much of a respite from that behavior moving forward so we must be grateful.

Another change is that Jason Goes to Hell doesn't follow the same formula as the other films and has more of an action, shoot-em-up feel. Again, this isn't what I'm looking for in one of these films but it does keep you interested throughout in ways that bad installments of the Classic Era failed to do. Leaving the camp removes most of the suspense and the abundance of filming locations eliminates any sense of claustrophobia. Director Adam Marcus also focuses on making the film self-referential and fun with varying degrees of success. It isn't campy in the way Jason Lives was but the film still gives a wink and nudge to series aficionados.

Jason Goes to Hell was, and is, a polarizing entry for franchise fans. Some admire its effort to go somewhere original while others feel the new "Jason rules" spit in the face of established series continuity. Personally I share both points of view and wish the writers would have kept things at camp where these movies are most likely to succeed. The Freddy Krueger gag at the end is another flat conclusion in a franchise with a rich tradition of idiotic endings. Unluckily for us it also led to a cringe-inducing feature film that set American horror cinema back several generations. Stay tuned.
April 4, 2016
this was the worse Jason film I've seen so far
and boring
½ March 27, 2016
Horror has not been so confusing,stupid and god awful bad until this crap was released to the poor world, last minute was pretty good with Freddy.
½ March 15, 2016
The worst movie I ever seen. Watched every single Jason movie recently. This has to be one of the worst movies of all time. I remember it being bad from the one other time I watched this, but damn it doesn't even compare. Even with my mindset being good which makes movies more enjoyable, this was still straight trash
March 13, 2016
I think this movie is alright it's stupid that Jason only in the movie 10min but it's still a good core movie. But the ending was the best part of the movie in my opinion
February 13, 2016
Friday the 13th: Jason Goes To Hell - The Final Friday is a compulsive mess. This is not how a Friday The 13th movie should be because in the other Friday The 13th movies i don't remember seeing Jason getting inside other peoples bodies and possessing them to kill his victims. Kane Hodder is barely ever in the movie and some of the scenes don't make sense. Example: The starting of the movie is this woman who is staying over in the Voorhees house(I don't remember seeing a Voorhees house in the other movies) and somehow Jason gets into the house. What didn't make sense to me was the part when she runs into the middle of a field and Jason gets blast away by a SWAT team and gets blown up. There is a lot of things missing from this movie that made a fan and critical fail.
½ February 6, 2016
,,,,,¢,,,,,¦,,,,¢,,,,,¦,,,,¢,,,,¦,,¢,,,¦,¢,,¦¢,¦,
½ January 8, 2016
If this movie had been more like the first 10 minutes and the last 10 minutes, I'd definitely like it better. But nonetheless it's still a pretty good movie. If you can look past the fact that it's not physically Jason throughout most of the movie, and realize that it's Jason's heart that's fueling the body's to commit the same acts then you'll enjoy it. It's still technically Jason even though it doesn't appear to be. And I have a feeling that's one of the main reasons why it has such bad reviews. Plus, when you do see Jason in this movie, he looks badass.
½ December 17, 2015
Jason Goes to Hell? Good. Let him stay there!
October 8, 2015
Jason's soul, in the shape of a worm-like creature, is transferred from body to body via mouth-to-mouth to possess other for his killings to find his sister to become a new unstoppable psycho killer. If this sounds stupid and boring, try watch the full 90 minutes of it. Its also filled with uninteresting/hateful characters and plot holes. If this wasn't a "Friday the 13th" movie it might have passed as a so-so horror/sci-fi movies but being constantly reminded of it being "the man behind the mask" is just painful. Pair this up with "Jason X" and you've got two great contenders for the worst "Friday the 13th" sequel(s).
½ October 4, 2015
It's funny how future Jason writers are pretending this movie never existed... and they're doing the right thing.
½ September 28, 2015
With hardly any budget, no material to work from, the franchise before and poor acting even by horror movie standards, Jason goes to hell won't even appeal to hard core fan's of the series (if there are any) because of the mildest horror movie jump scares and terrible cgi effects! Jason should have gone to hell sooner!
September 18, 2015
This gleefully gory and complex installment of this great franchise is not for the faint of heart! They do a fantastic job of doing something new with it, and has arguably the best kills of any installment! A-
September 15, 2015
The most gory and graphic slasher film which I have ever seen in my life, but, the most ridiculous writing which has ever been adapted to the big screen!
½ September 8, 2015
Ahhh the hated by most loved by a few New Line Cinema offering in the Friday The 13th franchise. Seeking to breathe new life into proceedings New Line take the gamble of going down a body jumping possession route reminiscent of Wes Cravens Shocker, whilst adding in a family element similar to the Halloween sequels. The result feels like a cheese filled funeral service for 80's slashers and it works to an extent as a stand alone slasher film, it is an enjoyable watch, however as a Friday The 13th film it fails to deliver what fans of the franchise want to see. It's other crime is the music it makes it feel like a cheap made for TV movie which was New Lines style at the time, check out Freddy's Dead The Final Nightmare for an equally bad score. Kane Hodder appearing as a security guard / victim is a nice insider nod to the fans as is the bounty hunter Creighton Duke's nod to quint from Jaws. Definitely worth a watch for some tongue in cheek slasher fun but not the greatest Friday.
August 23, 2015
'Jason goes to Hell' isn't really much of a Jason movie, it's not a slasher movie at all. It's actually kinda like invasion of the body snatchers. The plot: Jason's body is destroyed and he begins possessing innocent people to use for a murdering spree, attempting to kill his last remaining ancestors. The storyline is actually very good. It's suspenseful and captivating and what makes this one of the creepiest films in the series. And it was a unique and risky move for a Friday the 13th film. Also the special effects here are great, lots of gory deaths, and cool makeup. The movie is a bit too tongue-in-cheek sometimes but overall it's very good, but not really much of a Jason film. 62/100
½ July 27, 2015
Worst in the whole franchise...just a god awful movie.
June 30, 2015
As bad as previous film in the series but at least funnier.