Jason Goes to Hell - The Final Friday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jason Goes to Hell - The Final Friday Reviews

½ January 22, 2017
I was wrong about "Halloween III".

THIS is the worst movie I've ever watched multiple times.
½ January 14, 2017
Oddball Friday the 13th series entry and the last before Jason went into space with "Jason X" (because that worked so well for the Leprechaun franchise [eye roll]) has Jason being blow to pieces at the start of the film and him possessing a series of people who carry out his murderous intentions. Kane Hodder does briefly appear in the film as Jason and in another bit part as a security guard, but there is sadly not enough Jason to make this film it all that interesting for fans expecting to see the familiar hockey masked killer. There is a clever opening scene to the film that kind of mocks all of the previous films, with a young woman at a camp at night along getting ready to shower when Jason attacks. She ends up being an undercover FBI agent sent to lure Jason out into an ambush what literally blows him to bits and metaphorically blows up the formula of the previous films. Also on the plus side you do get Erin Gray in the film, a score by original composer Harry Manfredini, the original film's director (Sean S. Cunningham) returning as producer, and a funny final tag at the end of the film that teased (SPOILER ALERT) a Freddy vs. Jason film, which in reality didn't materialize until 10 years later. More interesting, I read that the film features the the skull dagger and Necronomicon from "Evil Dead II," although I missed it, but teases a Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash film, which has yet to materialize outside of comic books. Overall, this one is probably not recommended for anyone outside of fans of the series who need to be completionists and see all of the series entries, even if this "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" like approach is markedly different from all of the previous films.
January 13, 2017
So dumb and cheesy but it's so funny. That's why I gave this two stars and not zero. This movie makes the first one an amazing movie. 3.5/10 Pros: Cameo of someone special at the end, story ties to the first movie a little bit. Cons: terrible plot, just plain bad.
½ November 2, 2016
Man, where to start? Let's see...this guy eats Jason's heart and then he has to find some other person where this weird snake/alien type creature must enter their body. Huh??? Why?

This is definitely the worse movie of the series, no competition! It doesn't even feel like a Friday the 13th movie. Also, it wasn't scary AT ALL! I'm not sure what they were going for with this one...clueless. Anyway, I rate this one 3/10 OR 1.5/5 Feel free to skip this one!
½ October 26, 2016
During the 1980s, only two years passed without an entry in the Friday the 13th series. That's eight films in ten years, and while the quality usually betrayed those short production times, they always felt like kin. Spiritual relatives. It took four years for a ninth chapter to see the light of day, plus a switch from Paramount to New Line Cinema, and somewhere along the way there was a great disconnect. A true B-grade picture in every sense, Jason Goes to Hell is the worst Friday yet, and one of the most desperate, flailing, pointless films I've ever seen. Though veteran blade-swinger Kane Hodder has returned to the role, this Jason bears little resemblance to the cool, creepy psycho killer of the earlier films. Inflated and deformed, at this point he's basically a roid-raging leper in a twisted, vaguely-familiar hockey mask, but he's changed in more than just a physical sense. The story revolves around his black heart, literally migrating from host to host to inspire fresh killings after Jason himself is blown to bits in the opening scene. We've swallowed some absurdly stupid plot devices over the course of this franchise, including a similarly lame-brained "fake Jason" angle in 1985's A New Beginning, but this one sets an awful new standard. It plays like cruddy straight-to-video '90s gimmick horror, not the quaintly under-produced slasher material that had typified the series to this point. Needless to say, the acting hasn't improved (somehow, impossibly, it's actually grown much worse) and the production values, which enjoyed a well-deserved bump in Jason Takes Manhattan, are once again cut-rate and pitiful. Not a good look for New Line, proving right out of the gates that they don't understand what they're making and don't honestly care, one way or the other.
October 17, 2016
Since this film was the only Friday The 13th film I haven't seen because of extremely negative reviews, I decided to check it out and feel proud that I've watched all the films in the franchise. Now, I'm really not proud since I just watched this. Without a absolute doubt, Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday is the worst Friday The 13th film ever made. I wasn't expecting much because of what everybody told me about the film, but I was at least expecting a fun experience with a few really nice scenes. But honestly, it wasn't fun. There was nothing fun about this film. Absolutely nothing. This entire film is a failed attempt directed horribly to get money out of more people who were expecting something entertaining. The plot, the characters, the dialogue, the missing of Jason Voorhees in the movie, everything is so unbelievably poor. Your probably wondering about the plot; "Isn't it the same?" No, it's not the same. The location of the film is not even Camp Crystal Lake. The location is a restaurant and a hospital. Yeah. Anyway, this mess centers around Jason Voorhees being murdered by a SWAT team and him being sent to the morgue. A medical doctor doesn't think Jason is dead though, so he eats Jason's heart. Of course, doing that, he turns into Jason basically, with Jason taking over his body and Jason trying to find a new body. The plot then centers around this couple having a baby, and the husband gets killed by the new body controlled by Jason with the old body turning evil with Jason leaving him and taking the baby so he can kill Jason? Yeah, this is terrible. This is honestly nothing. It's not even bad, it's not enjoyable. It's not bad, it's terrible. This is REALLY terrible. It's not even dissapointing, it's just sad they would actually try and make this and slap the Friday The 13th title on it. This is honestly more of a low budget horror film made for the television network SyFy then a theater released Hollywood horror film. This film is a complete waste of time that shouldn't be watched by anybody, it shouldn't have even been made. I honestly don't even remotely see what they were trying to do with this film, because the film didn't even go anywhere. I wanted to re-watch it to actually see if the film was understandable but I didn't because i knew it wasn't, so here's what I do remember. The film starts off with this random girl going to a cabin in Camp Crystal Lake. Now after this, Jason Voorhees attacks, and then the SWAT team basically kills him. I don't know if the girl was told to do that so the SWAT could kill him or the girl just randomly showed up there and decided to shower because that's literally what she does. Jason is then taken to the morgue and this medical doctor thinks he's still alive so he eats Jason's heart and Jason basically controls his body, so he kills some people in the hospital. After that, it's basically Jason going to different bodies while showcasing people's problems and events that have absolutely NOTHING to even do with Friday The 13th. The couple's problems, the doctor's past, the restaurant's problems, the hospital's problems, the problems with having a baby, the birth of the baby, the doctor turning evil again, a new couple, it just goes on and on and on with pointless dull filler that basically adds nothing exciting or new. This film is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and that's pretty harsh but this film is extremely awful and completely brainless and pointless.
August 8, 2016
An interesting final installment that completely retcons all of the previous films. Loved the little nod at the end to another classic horror series, though!
July 15, 2016
A step-down from what "Paramount" had to offer for the franchise, but the FX is bloody delicious.
July 15, 2016
This Friday the 13th is without a doubt the most boring in the series. Jason is only in the info, and at the very end. The rest is just other people being controlled by Jason. The only thing really cool is at the very end of the movie, but I won't spoil it.
½ July 12, 2016
It's not as bad as some of the other films in the Friday the 13th series but Jason Goes To Hell is still not very good. The movie tries to be original but in all is just too stupid to be taken seriously. At least it sets up Freddy vs Jason!
July 11, 2016
Not the greatest entry but it's certainly better than most sequels in the never ending series. Very gory and non stop entertainment.
½ July 9, 2016
Jason Goes to Hell is definitely the worst movie in the entire series which is saying a lot considering how many bad sequels there are. Jason looks like a mutant hulk that isn't green and has a messed up face and isn't even in the movie very much. Instead Jason is a parasite that goes from body to body turning people into killers. Overall a boring movie.
½ June 22, 2016
Jason's spirit takes over bodies and goes on murderous rampage. This was thought to be the last Friday the 13th film until Jason X was released. Movie is just bad. There's no other way to put it. A special dagger is supposed to have the power to kill Jason for good and send his spirit to Hell. I wish I had the power to forget I saw this movie. The acting is bad and the effects are worse.
June 13, 2016
I don't care what anyone says, this movie is my 2nd favourite Friday The 13th movie it's got good kills, good gore, high body count and yeah so what if we don't see much of Jason, I love the idea that he gets blown up and his spirit goes around possessing people, so I'm gonna give this movie 2 thumbs up and 5 stars! :)
June 9, 2016
Jetzt läuft es bei Jason Voorhees so wirklich rund! Er wurde gejagt, erschossen und in die Luft gesprengt. Doch diese böse Seele kann man einfach nicht vertreiben.
Die Macher der Serie haben sich wohl gedacht, wir gehen mit Jason weit weg, der normalen Norm. Jetzt ist es nicht mehr Jason, der jagen geht. Sondern seine böse, schwarze Macht, die von einem Besitz ergreift. Das heisst auch, man sieht Jasons Hockeymaske am wenigsten.
Sicherlich geht es in diesem Teil sehr rund und die Slasher Freunde werden ihren Spass haben. Aber was jetzt mit diesem Teil der Reihe gemacht wurde, kann ich nicht verstehen. Es hat nicht mehr Nostalgisches und mit Bodenständigkeit zu tun. Aus einem einfachen Waldläufer ist mehr oder weniger ein Dämon geworden. Andererseits heisst es auch, jeder kann Jason sein. Eigentlich wir alle.
Man merkt schon das es The Final Friday" heisst: Die Ideen sind ausgegangen. Die Phantasie ist aus der Norm und völlig konfus konstruiert. Schade eigentlich, denn ich habe diese Serie sehr gemocht. Darum finde ich es nicht so schön, was die Leute mit Jason gemacht haben.
Fazit: Sicher unterhaltsamer Horror die leider ein Mythos völlig auseinander gerissen haben!
½ May 27, 2016
While definitely not the least bit scary but at the very least taking itself somewhat serious, keep in mind that Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday seems geared towards more of the supernatural genre than that of the horror genre. The ending was also definitely a pleaser.
jamrcla
May 9, 2016
Yet again I struggle to get into the film due to the lack of questions answered like how did he survive after Part 8? And what the Fuck is going on in this film? It makes no sense, The kills were boring yet again, The only bit I enjoyed was a cameo from Freddy Kruger helps drag Jason to hell, Friday 13th went all too supernatural and turned a franchise that was just about acceptable to absolute garbage with more plot holes than I've had hot dinners.
½ May 8, 2016
Jason Goes to Hell, although still part of the official franchise timeline, can be viewed as a stand-alone effort for several reasons. It was the first (and only) F13 film released during the 1990s, the first to lack the "Friday the 13th" title card, lives by its own set of "Jason rules", and was, like its predecessor, entirely ignored by future sequels. By "Jason rules" I mean the newly introduced concepts that (a) Jason is a parasitic, body-hijacking demon who is seeking to destroy his remaining family because (b) only a member of the Voorhees bloodline can definitively kill him. It's a lot to swallow in one sitting so let's start from the top.

The film begins with an excellent cold open, dropping the audience almost immediately back into a darkened camp and recreating the kind of stark suspense we haven't seen since Part 2. Unfortunately it's also the highlight of the movie and the only point where it resembles a Friday the 13th film. Jason is dispatched as quickly as he's introduced and from there we get heart eating, body-jumping, and 90s lady bangs. The body of this picture in no way resembles the aesthetic we've come to know and your level of enjoyment depends on how willing you are to accept these fundamental changes.

I must comment on how stupid Jason's makeup is in this movie. He looks like a dirty ball of hamburger meat dropped in hair clippings that someone slapped a mask onto. Also, what's with the all denim outfit? I don't remember him being so coordinated with his fashion. Maybe it's better we were spared the sight of that greasy Canadian tuxedo for most of the film.

There's one clear question a fan has to answer when watching this: is the concept of Jason as an invading symbiotic organism stupid? Probably but, the way I look at it, at least he's in the movie. I certainly dislike how little screen time the hockey mask gets but I also respect the writers for doing something new that isn't cheesy or a thoughtless gimmick. New Line doesn't afford us much of a respite from that behavior moving forward so we must be grateful.

Another change is that Jason Goes to Hell doesn't follow the same formula as the other films and has more of an action, shoot-em-up feel. Again, this isn't what I'm looking for in one of these films but it does keep you interested throughout in ways that bad installments of the Classic Era failed to do. Leaving the camp removes most of the suspense and the abundance of filming locations eliminates any sense of claustrophobia. Director Adam Marcus also focuses on making the film self-referential and fun with varying degrees of success. It isn't campy in the way Jason Lives was but the film still gives a wink and nudge to series aficionados.

Jason Goes to Hell was, and is, a polarizing entry for franchise fans. Some admire its effort to go somewhere original while others feel the new "Jason rules" spit in the face of established series continuity. Personally I share both points of view and wish the writers would have kept things at camp where these movies are most likely to succeed. The Freddy Krueger gag at the end is another flat conclusion in a franchise with a rich tradition of idiotic endings. Unluckily for us it also led to a cringe-inducing feature film that set American horror cinema back several generations. Stay tuned.
April 4, 2016
this was the worse Jason film I've seen so far
and boring
½ March 27, 2016
Horror has not been so confusing,stupid and god awful bad until this crap was released to the poor world, last minute was pretty good with Freddy.