Jason X - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jason X Reviews

November 2, 2016
Pros: Jason X has a cool concept, not the same repetitive concept in some of the previous films. The kills are pretty cool and that machine that repairs body tissue is AWESOME! Where do I buy one of those? Take my money now!!!

Cons: Some people may not like the whole space setting of the film (though I do). The actors delivered some really bad lines at times...may not have been their fault but these lines were weird/out of place. In fact, the weak dialogue in some parts of the movie is preventing me from rating it a little higher.

Final Grade: 6/10 OR 3/5
½ October 31, 2016
Ok, we all know this movie is STUPID. But you can at least get a little enjoyment out of it's creative kills, and Robo-Jason looks cool. We need it in Mortal Kombat X. But still. It's dumb, but enjoyably dumb.
October 31, 2016
Easily the fifth or sixth time Friday the 13th has jumped the shark, this time pulling a double corkscrew backflip along the way. Following in the hallowed footsteps of Leprechaun 4, Hellraiser: Bloodline and Critters 4, this installment finds Jason cryogenically frozen for four hundred years and defrosted aboard a lightly-staffed spacecraft. No explanation is offered for his abrupt return from the depths of the nether, where he was unceremoniously dumped at the end of Jason Goes to Hell, though I'm not sure that really would've made a difference. This is a willfully stupid playground for half-baked science fiction ideas, terrible wardrobe choices and budget special effects; a cut-rate production that would feel right at home on the Sci-Fi Channel at 3am. Predictable to the end, it touches all the bases with gratuitous nudity, shallow characters, mysterious returns from certain doom and a truckload of dismemberments / decapitations / deaths. The only thing we're missing is the trademarked screeching cat fake-out, presumably because no self-respecting animal would be seen in such a production. Apart from one fleeting moment of self-deprecating parody near the end - which is totally out of place, but admittedly had me howling - there's no reason for this to exist. It's the kind of thing that would've thrived on the bootleg circuit, akin to Roger Corman's unreleased Fantastic Four, but by actually sending it to theaters, New Line took the wind out of those sails. The best thing I can say here is, hey, at least it's better than the last one.
October 12, 2016
Wow! This sucker gets two stars for the surprise factor.
October 3, 2016
Surprisingly not the worst in the franchise.
½ August 13, 2016
A dwindling franchise gets even worse in yet another installment that doesn't fail to disappoint. (3/10)
August 7, 2016
This a bad film, a truly bad film. But, it knows how bad it is and works it to its advantage making it a truly enjoyable film.
July 15, 2016
A decent and fun way to say farewell to Hodder as Jason Voorhees.
½ July 12, 2016
I have seen all the Jason film and trust me, this film is not that bad by the series standards. It's stupid and boring at times but is still fun. This film, on its own is a good sci-fi slasher flick
½ July 11, 2016
You can't help but love this ridiculous concept!!! Funny, with nonstop gruesome action, file this under "so bad, it's good"!
July 10, 2016
Most people would say that putting Jason Voorhees in space would be the worst thing that the filmmakers of the Friday The 13th franchise can possibly do in the history of the franchise, and that's both right and wrong. One of the reasons it's right is because the turnout of this film is an absolutely absurd mess that is incredibly stupid, terribly directed, and awfully acted. One of the reasons it's wrong is because the film turns out to be really entertaining because of how bad the film really is. Trust me, it's not a good Friday The 13th film, it's not even throughly remembering because of how bad it's put together. But it's definitely a really fun film. Basically what you get is Jason Voorhees murdering teenagers in outer space. It's so bad, but it's pretty hilarious.
½ July 9, 2016
Jason X is set in space. Jason looks good in this this film until his upgrade at the end when he becomes uber Jason. Overall this movie has awful special effects and looks like a made for TV SyFy channel movie. Jason X would be the worst in the series but has some competition.
June 24, 2016
Der Jason Spass geht in die zehnte Runde! Und diesmal geht es hoch in den Himmel hinaus!
Jason wird ganz tief gefroren. Dann in der Zukunft wird er von einer Gruppe von jungen Wissenschaftlern entdeckt, um ihn, zur Studienzwecken zu studieren. Dort wird Jason natürlich wieder zum Leben erweckt und er macht wieder das, was er am besten kann: Jagen!
Natürlich verkommt dieser zehnte Teil völlig dem Trash. Und die Effekte sind auch nicht gerade eine Augenweide. Es macht sicher Spass, Jason zuzusehen, wie er wieder einer nach dem anderen meuchelt. Aber es ist auch völlig überflüssig.
Man kann auch sagen, dass die Franchise, von der Jason Reihe, wirklich tot ist. Es bringt nichts mehr Neues und hat auch keine besonderen Überraschungen mehr. Jason ist endgültig den Rang abgelaufen. Das man solche Werke noch machen darf, irritiert mich ein bisschen.
Fazit: Auch wenn nur noch der Name steht: Spass ist etwas anderes. Ich habe den Film nur geschaut, weil ich Jason Fan bin. Sonst ist er wirklich nur absoluter Trash!
June 22, 2016
So for the 10th (yes, X means 10 in this case) Jason film, they take the story to the future where a team uncovers Jason's body and go figure, he wakes up and starts killing people. The script isn't that great and a few of the gags are so full of camp you almost choke on it (android girl scene). Where other Jason films have been suspenseful and kept to their successful roots of chopping up kids in a camp, this one is pretty far reaching...... and bad.
June 13, 2016
I don't think it's that bad of a movie...
jamrcla
½ May 9, 2016
Jason X has no reason to exist as the whole idea is ludicrous, Remember when Jason was sent to hell in part 9? Well obviously filmmakers don't as he's yet again resurrected without any explanation on how, The film itself has no right to be as entertaining as it is, Silly tongue in cheek humour, Jason kills are a little better and he dies again but this time gets a upgrade and becomes Uber Jason but the idea doesn't last long and the film comes to a predictable end, It's the most entertaining Friday 13th but the story just is too silly to call it a good movie.
May 8, 2016
We've hit the reset button yet again. Jason X is another one-off entry in the series which largely ignores what came before and changes things so much that no film picked up where it left off. Horror sequels tend to function ineffectively in a vacuum and Jason X is no exception, it's a tough watch.

I never realized it before but in many ways this film is a futuristic remake of Jason Takes Manhattan. Think about it, most of the action takes place on a ship, Jason is surrounded by undergraduates, there's a professor/student seduction scene, Jason's makeup is lacking, and it's all god-awful rubbish. I don't understand the thinking here. The last two films took Jason away from camp and both were huge failures with the fan base, how can you make this mistake a third straight time?

Once again I'll state the obvious: Jason in space is a dumb idea. I've heard this film described as "Jason for the Matrix generation" and maybe that's true. Jason X was built around a futuristic aesthetic using all sorts of CGI shots of space flight and sci-fi weaponry and, you know what, who cares? Since when did people watch these films for the digital effects? The answer is never. The filmmakers even go so far as to create an android character who looks like Carrie-Anne Moss's Trinity and include a rapid-cut fight scene with her and Jason near the end of the film. The idea that an audience member would be thrilled or entertained by this makes me ill.

Much like Jason Goes to Hell this film comes off as more of an action-focused production and doesn't much bother with suspense or scares, not even cheap ones. A good example of this would be the second act which involves a team of trained commandos tracking Jason through a spaceship like in Alien. Of course their expertise is wasted on the stealthy Jason who, despite being bulky and rancid smelling, can sneak up on anyone at any time and slash his way out of the situation. It's a dull charade.

I find it interesting that, although they were all major studio releases, Friday the 13th films are often thought of as B-movies. Jason X is probably the closest any of these sequels come to actually fulfilling that expectation. Poor costuming, set design, and visual effects make Jason X a film that generates groans and eye rolls as often as ironic laughter. It's another tedious, uninspired sequel in what has quickly become a marathon of unwatchable dreck.
April 28, 2016
CYBER JASON and CRONENBERG!
April 2, 2016
Suprisingly better than I thought
½ March 5, 2016
Not the best it is stupid when he goes uber Jason but the otherwise a good movie