Jason's Lyric - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jason's Lyric Reviews

February 23, 2016
Beautifully filmed and well-knit story. Whitaker was his typical powerful presence. Love ALL his movies.
July 30, 2014
Entertaining and well acted.
June 5, 2013
good drama the acting was a good relation to real drama going on in the world!
December 7, 2012
Romantic, worth a look!
October 2, 2012
18 years and I still love it
October 1, 2012
I love this movie!!!
August 27, 2012
Just saw this movie again & was just going through its reviews online. I am surprised some critics, including those here at Rotten Tomatoes, think its location was the city of Houston, TX. That is erroneous. It was actually set in the city of Dallas, TX. Please take note.
July 8, 2012
a down 2 earth love story. great cast.
July 1, 2012
Great piece. Encompasses so many family struggles. An all time favorite.
June 16, 2012
great movie real love!
May 26, 2012
Add a review (optional)...
April 19, 2012
another awsome movie.... :)
April 17, 2012
1 of my all time favorite movies.
April 11, 2012
this is one of my favorite movies
April 9, 2012
I absolutely love this movie! The end was kind of insane, but this movie is very realistic! Also, the romance was scenes was incredible!!!
April 5, 2012
still loving this movie
March 1, 2012
This film pretty much came out at a time when more and more films featuring blacks in positive images were coming out.
However, this film tries to be three films at once. First its a story about the tragic events in the brother's past. The second story is almost an urban version of "Romeo and Juliet". The third plot revolves around how Jason's brother constantly gets into trouble leading to his tragic end. The love story would have been enough. Unfortunately, in the end it turns into a typical bloody shootout, but it does have a twist ending and that helped to save it.

January 8, 2012
sweet and well acted
hunterjt13
July 20, 2011
A man falls in love while attempting to curtail his brother's criminal behavior.
If I recall correctly, this is John Singleton's fault. Though it's unfair to judge an artist based on his imitators, Singleton's Boyz 'n the Hood began a rash of "hood" films that eventually culminated in the Wayans brothers' parody of the genre. Jason's Lyric "feels like" an imitation, stuck in a particular time, fitting all the generic requirements in, unable to breathe on its own. The abusive father, the aspirations of escape, and the burgeoning love are all things we've seen from Singleton, and there's nothing radically new here.
What is more, the love story plot, which, during the first hour of the film, is evenly interspersed with the "hood" plot, is so excessively sappy. Every elevator song you ever heard underscores Jason's courtship of Lyric, and the idyllic landscape gives the plot a maudlin feel. He washes her feet for Christ's sake! Then, the film tries to be realistic in the "hood" plot, and when the two plots converge, I couldn't shake the feeling that the film had multiple personality disorder.
Forest Whitaker's performance during the film's first ten minutes as the damaged Vietnam vet was fantastic; Whitaker set the bar so high that it's no wonder the rest of the actors could only disappoint. Jada Pinkett is alluring and beautiful, but there's not much of a character here. It doesn't help her that the script gives her the most expository lines, especially before Jason reveals the truth about his dreams.
Overall, this is a poor imitation of John Singleton; see Boyz 'n the Hood and you can tell everybody that you saw Jason's Lyric too.
April 21, 2011