Java Heat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Java Heat Reviews

½ December 4, 2016
After finishing this movie, I am convinced Kellan Lutz will never be in a good movie. The dude sucks something awful. It didn't help that this script was absolute doo-doo either. No actor in Hollywood would've saved this film from its ridiculousness. Literally made the main actor an idiot who doesn't use his brain, at all. I feel bad for Mickey Rourke. Stop doing these films Mickey, you're better than this, way better.
November 25, 2016
The best attempt to make a movie without a plot. A Frankestinish Mickey Rourke and nice scenery of Indonesia.
September 4, 2016
Pretty terrible action film that I only watched because I love Mickey Rourke and I wanted to put something on that only deserved half of my attention while I worked on my laptop. The film is about a Muslim detective and an American posing as a graduate student trying to find the man behind a series of terrorist bombings in Indonesia. The mad bomber is none other than a white suited, greasy haired Mickey Rourke. Rourke is in full goofball mode here, sniffing flowers, wearing ridiculous looking sarongs, and simply doing what I suspect was trying to give hie character something more than what was in the script. The main thing I enjoyed about this film is trying to imaging that Rourke was the same character he played in "Double Team" and had somehow lived. Just as in "Double Team" Rourke does get a slow motion shot of himself walking away form an explosion he was responsible for. That was about as good as this film got. Probably only worth watching for Rourke completionists (which I count myself among).
December 4, 2015
Turn them into hooker royalty.

A Muslim and American detective collaborates to try and bring down a terrorist drug lord in the Indonesia city of Java. The American quickly becomes to scapegoat for many of the terrorist's acts complicating their efforts and the Indonesian detective's ability to trust him. Can the two work together and track down the terrorist kingpin?

"You know you can trust me."
"Yeah, that's why you're sitting in the back."

Conor Allyn, director of Hearts of Freedom, Zoe Gone, Pocket Listing, and Hyper 5, delivers Java Heat. The storyline for this picture is very mediocre and cliché with an excellent villain. The script is mediocre and the action is fairly good. The cast delivers below average performances and really only has Mickey Rourke worth noting.

"Like a bull in a China shop."
"Why would a bull buy dishes?"

This was recently added to Netflix so I added it to the queue as a fan of Mickey Rourke. This was a very blah action film with little going for it. Rourke had some good moments, but not enough to make this worth watching. I'd skip this, even if you're a fan of action pictures.

"You get in bed with a snake don't be surprised when you are bitten"

Grade: F
½ July 18, 2015
What a great propaganda movie, just like our dumbander and chief asked for: Muslims are good, Christians are not good, Americans are abscessed with sex and aggression and colonialism is bad!
December 13, 2014
still it's a good Indonesian movie
September 22, 2014
A wretched mess of an action film pulled even further down by a leaden lead performance from Twilight heartthrob Kellan Lutz who doesn't have half the charisma required to hold together this jumble of cheesy shootouts and chases.Mickey Rourke provides some unintended laughs with his comical attempts to be evil but it's all in a lost cause.
July 9, 2014
Kellan Lutz = an extra star for his sexiness!
½ July 8, 2014
For an action movie, Its not that bad
June 16, 2014
Monday, June 16, 2014

(2013) Java Heat
ACTION

It's trying to imply to viewers that it's an action movie, but despite it's obvious limited resources, I still kind of like it, even though the Indonesian culture shown is blatant and uninteresting, the acting is mediocre as well as the story. Jake Wilde (Kellan Lutz) goes undercover working in Indonesia after a nearby terrorist explosion with Lieutenant Hashim (Ario Bayu) on his tail. We soon find out that the 'Sultra of Java' princess was not really killed in the explosion after all, but was really kidnapped with Mickey Rourke playing the bad guy as Malik, who's somehow behind it except that viewers can't really see the link until the movie is progressing.

All I can say is that as a big sucker for actual explosions and stunts without help from CGI, even though the few fight scenes the movie had was lousy and amateurish, I still liked this since it looked like that it was trying to do more with the little money the movie had without degrading. I also don't see many movies that involve Indonesia culture.

2.5 out of 4 stars
June 7, 2014
Java Heat is a disappointing film. It is about a Muslim detective who teams with an American posing as a graduate student to find the man behind a series of deadly terrorist bombings in Indonesia. Kellen Lutz and Mickey Rourke give terrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Conor Allyn did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
March 19, 2014
Didn't like the acting...felt so "acting" :D
February 7, 2014
The performance of Ario Bayu is really great! :D
½ February 4, 2014
Se regarde, sans plus.
½ January 12, 2014
A decent action film from Indonesia. The story is not in any way original and contains no surprises but it is a workmanlike piece of film-making. Aside from Mickey Rourke and Kellan Lutz the cast is almost entirely unfamiliar, but the acting is of as good a quality as one is likely to see in an action movie. Ario Bayu gives a particularly fine performance as the competent cop in charge of investigating a suicide bombing. The production values are good and the movie does a fine job of using its setting and atmosphere.
½ December 22, 2013
Oh, how I want to like Lutz. He is so beautiful and SO built. and yes, he is likable in a big dumb dog kind of way. but based on his performance in Java Heat, he would be hard-pressed to act wet in a rain storm. His reactions and choices are so laughably inappropriate, one wonders if the editor has deliberately chosen all the wrong takes just to make him look foolish. It's a shame, because the movie wouldn't be half bad otherwise. It delves into the culture of Indonesia in interesting ways; it has a nicely creepy villain in Rourke; and most of all it has Ario Bayu, who is the real deal. His constant aggravation with Lutz's character comes off like a fine actor's irritation at having to play scenes with a boy who means well, but is simply incompetent. It's like watching Andre Aggasi play tennis with an armless opponent. It is almost worth sticking around for the end, to see Lutz make his exit with a cheerful "See ya, Jake"!" This is a character who has just been through hell avenging the death of his brother, and is off to face a court martial. Words fail me.
½ December 21, 2013
I'm not sure what the plot is about, but the action scenes are decent enough.
Cameron W. Johnson
½ December 7, 2013
"Pick up your feet, got to move to the trick of the beat; there is no elite, just take your place in the java heat!" I don't know why, but this film's title kind of makes me think of Sniff 'n' the Tears' "Driver's Seat", probably because somebody's got to remember that song. Well, at least that one-hit wonder pop-rock tune from the late '70s is getting more promotion than this film, though, to be fair, this is so much like a forgettable '80s action fluff piece that people must have forgotten about it over the course of about 30 years, even though it just came out. Okay, perhaps this film isn't that '80s, but it doesn't really perk you up quite as much as you expect out of a film about coffee doing battle... or whatever this is about. Like I said, they haven't been promoting this much, but I can tell you that Mickey Rourke looks like he could use some caffeine, or at least a better agent. Rourke and Kellan Lutz both need new agents, because Lutz is finally making his big break into the independent circuit after all of that "Twilight" nonsense, but he has to settle for some Indonesian action thriller that hardly anyone is seeing or liking. Well, I guess "barley" is more fitting than "hardly", because there's at least one jerk out there who likes this, even if I-I mean, he has some problems with it.

The film offers some thin, unsubtle characterization, and it could have potentially compensated for that if it at least spent more time drawing out the character types, yet as things stand, there's hardly any background to immediate development, while gradual exposition proves to be lacking, or least feels that way, due to some serious unevenness to character usage. Even the jumps between Kellan Lutz's and Ario Bayu's sides of the same central narrative that they lead jars, and yet, whatever the plot layer in focus may be, there's at least consistency in familiarity, as there are few, if any refreshing elements to the character types, as well as a "complex" thriller plot that is not intricate enough to keep you from predicting. This effort entertains just fine along the way, but you know this path, and whether you've seen it through certain '80s thrillers that seem to have some influence on storytelling or through a fall-flat modern thriller that takes itself too seriously, this storytelling is hardly anything new, going so far as to take subtlety issues that are practically trademark in films of this type. The lighter moments - some of which go so far as to incorporate all-out comic relief - are relatively rare, but are about as rarely organic as shifts in tone, breaking tension with some cheesiness, backed by a lack of subtlety that ironically also backs tension. The film is consistent in conventionalism and a lack of subtlety, yet it continues to be uneven in focus and tone, and that's challenging enough to your investment enough without all of pacing inconsistencies, which at least seem present when director Conor Allyn runs out of steam. This film is rarely too dull, but there are times in which dry meditations and other questionable directorial elements bring storytelling to a whiplash-inducing half that blands things up and distances, though not without retaining enough of your attention to direct it toward other flaws, which are considerable in quantity and severity. The final product comes pretty close to mediocrity, a point that many are saying it actually descends from, but for me, decency is ultimately achieved, by a hair, to be sure, but enough so for me to be engaged, at least on a visual level.

Shane Daly's cinematography is not quite unique enough to be all that striking, but it's still stronger than certain people are giving it credit for, being bleak enough to compliment the grit of this environment, while keeping up enough softness to carry a distinct handsomeness. Fine cinematography is pretty much the most recurring stylistic strength in this film, yet style is perhaps brought to light the most during brawls, shootouts and other assorted action goodness, backed by formulaic, but impressively harsh staging, whose intensity plays a big part in backing this thriller with a genuine sense of consequence. If tension is ever present, it's certainly quite prominent during the action sequences, as surely as other heights in engagement value go anchored by sharp style, yet, I must that is might be substance that ultimately saves the final product from mediocrity. Sure, this story is generic and thin, and the telling of it is not too much more biting, yet there is still a fair bit of bite, at least in concept, no matter how predictable this dramatic action thriller is, which isn't to say that the interpretation of this narrative isn't still commendable in plenty of areas, including the portrayal of thinly drawn characters. The particularly underused Mickey Rourke steals the show with both an excellent accent and an intimidating presence as an antagonist, but the leads keep things going, to a certain extent at least, with Kellan Lutz having bland moments, yet ultimately a decent amount of charisma, while Ario Bayu proves to be even more effective in his portrayal of a charmingly short-fused, but sharp and humanly flawed man of the law who gets in over his head. Really, every performance is pretty decent, including a key offscreen one by Conor Allyn, whose directorial efforts are more like Lutz's onscreen performance, in that they have their share of bland spells, yet are generally quite decent, playing with anything from an often atmospheric score by Justin Caine Burnett, to the aforementioned striking style and action in order to grip, or at least entertain. Yeah, there are bland spells, but at the end of the day, this is pretty entertaining stuff, and while I kind of wish that the final product was more than that, - say, a more refreshing and coherent thriller - that's enough to get it by as decent, even if it doesn't get things by as especially memorable.

When the heat has cooled down, the final product is chilled down too much by underdevelopment, genericisms, inconsistencies in focus and tone, and many an atmospheric cold spell to drift too far away from mediocrity, which it still manages to evade to a fair extent, as there is enough handsomeness to the cinematography, intensity to the action, intrigue to the thin narrative, charisma to the lead performances by Kellan Lutz and Ario Bayu, and effectiveness to Conor Allyn's direction to make "Java Heat" an adequately entertaining and often genuinely intense thriller, no matter how much thrills go limited.

2.5/5 - Fair
November 24, 2013
Shooting location is near my house! With Emmett Cullen haha..
½ November 10, 2013
Java Heat is an action drama about American over in Indonesia trying to solve the murder of a princess with expensive jewelry. not bad for a low budget action movie. B-