Jaws - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws Reviews

½ March 5, 2017
Jaws failed to grasp my attention, I was sort of bored.
½ February 23, 2017
Don't know how it got a PG rating, ??. Makes you not want to get into the water, whatcha I think was goal!
February 17, 2017
a classic, simple and fun to watch.
February 16, 2017
This movie scared the crap out of me
February 11, 2017
Nothing short of remarkable, Jaws is just as compelling today as it was when it was first introduced to the world in 1975. Masterfully paced and well acted under the guidance of Steven Spielberg, Jaws is quite simply a perfect motion picture.
February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 29, 2017
jaws is the best shark movie ever made and the graphics are still very good
½ January 25, 2017
Jaws Is One of the best horror movies of all time and yes its a horror movie! The movie still holds up today yeah the shark looks robotic but its still scary especially the part where the shark ate the kid. This is a must see movie
½ January 25, 2017
Still fantastic all these years later. It shows that a movie can be scary as hell without having to go overboard on all the gore.
January 25, 2017
An Absolute Classic Movie.
January 21, 2017
Strong script and well acted, but it could be a little more suspenseful and terrifying for this genre.
January 19, 2017
Great soundtrack. Well done suspense. Pretty impressive anamatronics.
January 12, 2017
Gave this a re-watch with the wife on Blu-ray, as it's one of her favorite films, and it holds up amazingly well even after all these years. You can really see how this turned into a summer blockbuster and changed how we look at movies, as it builds in such a way as to keep you guessing who might be expendable, where the beast may strike next.

Highly recommended.
January 7, 2017
Great film. I've always loved it. The only flaw is that the pacing is a bit weird and it is quite slow
January 2, 2017
Back when I first saw this film as a child, it scared me quite a bit. Later, when I watched it again for the first time in a while, it didn't scare me as much, but it certainly was thrilling. Now, having read the book it was based on, I have a fuller and more in-depth understanding and appreciation of all sides of this classic story. With the knowledge of what was missing in the movie from the book, I thought it would detract from the viewing experience. Instead, I found that the book and the film covered two very different aspects of the story, each expertly done for the utilized medium.

In the book (which was released a year before the film), we find that the shark hunt is not only a matter of public safety but also infused with the politics of the island of Amity and the personal drama of a cuckolded police chief. These human elements made the characters seem more like the monsters than the actual shark did. Those who have seen the film will know that there is no affair with the police chief's wife, mainly because there's no time to cover it. Instead, the film focuses on the tense chase and destruction of the shark that terrorized an island in the midst of the height of its tourist season.

What I found interesting about watching Jaws this time around was actually how Hitchcock-esque the film seemed. As Spielberg's breakout film, Jaws did have a few moments of his signature, albeit still undeveloped style, but much of it almost felt like Alfred Hitchcock was behind the camera (especially with the "Vertigo shot" at the beach). So much of the cinematography was expertly framed and shot that you almost don't realize that practically a third (or more) of the film is just three men on a boat. Even though I had seen this film many times before, it still is a thrilling ride up until the explosive conclusion.

An excellent film adaptation to accompany a fantastic book's plot, I give Jaws 4.0 stars out of 5.
December 29, 2016
This film really creeps out a lot of people with its shark and the suspense is handled beautifully Thanks Steven Spielberg and John Williams
December 29, 2016
Not my cup of tea but a cinematic thrill.
December 29, 2016
Although the titular shark of the movie 'Jaws' has aged poorly, Steven Spielberg's excellent direction and the incredible performances from top actors ensured that Jaws would go down in history as one of the many greats. The only negative to Jaws is that it inspired thousands of shark films, none of which have ever reached its level and most of which are a curse to the world.

Jaws cannot be anything but five stars; it's brilliant acting - specifically, Robert Shaw's - as well as some excellent writing and great imagery means that the film will no doubt stay in the minds, and bring fear to the minds, of all viewers for as long as it can be seen.
December 29, 2016
Peter Benchley and Steven Spielberg conspired to make me terrified to even take a bath when they created this classic movie. Straight away, we have to deal with the giant rubber shark that leaps onto the boat towards the climax of the movie. It didn't really work in the 1970s and it really doesn't work now but by the time it appears, it ceases to matter as the sheer terror has been well established. The movie is formed of two distinct acts. Firstly, we have the onshore story of how the small American community of Amity Island learn of the monstrous, great white shark that has come to visit their shallows at the start of the holiday season. While in the second act, we go aboard the fishing vessel Orca with her captain, the local police chief and a shark expert and follow their attempt to track and kill the beast. This second act is a real jewel of a character piece thanks to the fine acting talents of Robert Shaw, Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss. I love the scene where Shaw's Quint and Dreyfuss' Hooper compare scars in an attempt at one-upmanship and the line from Schneider's Chief Brody "You're going to need a bigger boat!" has entered film legend. There's also that terrific score by John Williams that does so much to terrify the viewer. The theme is now such a part of popular culture that there can be few of us that haven't had those menacing bars of music reverberating through our heads at some point while we paddle in the sea at Paignton.
December 26, 2016
A cerebral horror, a nail biting suspense, and a magnificent adventure epic, Jaws is a masterpiece classic that is thoroughly engaging and has all the elements of a terrific story.