Jaws - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws Reviews

½ July 18, 2017
This movie is full of entertainment, excitement, and blood. Very well made. Whoever doesn't enjoy this movie or gives this amazing piece of film a f*ckinh sh*t review, they can meet me in the parking lot for a fight
July 16, 2017
A damn near perfect monster movie. Always tense and the script has just the right amount of "An Enemy of the People" and "Moby Dick".
July 16, 2017
A truly spectacular thriller movie. Considering it was made in 1975 this is one epic film.
July 12, 2017
The innovative camera angles work with the film's score perfectly to elevate the terror below.
½ July 9, 2017
Extremely suspenseful and taught, each scene flows into the next with ease and the acting is very good as well. I can say I was genuinely scared and on the edge of my seat for this film, and I was throughly entertained the entire time. The special effects are top notch and the shark is not shown too much, Spielberg instead uses time to develop characters and it pays high dividends in the end
July 8, 2017
Jaws is one of the best thrillers ever made. Beautifully filmed and with some excellent performances, Jaws is a a movie that still todays gives us the thrills, the feels and the laughs.
July 6, 2017
Steven Spielberg's classic film about a giant shark terrorizing a small New England resort community is masterful entertainment and also (along with "Star Wars") ushered in the age of the blockbuster film, essentially ending major studio support of smaller edgier films of the 1960s and 70s. I recently listened to an interview with Roger Corman, the prolific low budget exploration filmmaker, who noted that after he saw "Jaws" he said to himself that he's in trouble because the majors figured out what he'd know for years, in terms of what audiences wanted to see, and did it much better. An argument could pretty easily be made that this is the greatest nature-gone-wild movie ever made. "Jaws" truly is a great film, but when most of it's competition was the the likes of "Frogs" (about a deadly hoards of frogs) or "Them" (about giant radioactive ants) or "Night of the Lepus" (about giant killer rabbits), it shouldn't be much of a surprise "Jaws" wins out (okay, Hitchcock's "The Birds" is a pretty excellent nature-gone-wild film, but "Jaws" is still better). But back to "Jaws," this is the film that put Spielberg on the map. Up to this point he'd mostly done television and had one film under his belt, the fine "Sugarland Express," but "Jaws" is a popcorn movie of the first order. Roy Scheider is the Chief of Police for the sleepy beach community of Amity Island when he's confronted with a likely shark attack at the outset of tourist season. Murray Hamilton is great in a supporting role as the mayor who won't let Chief Brody shut down the beaches, that is until a horrific attack in front of legions of beachgoers. At that point Brody is authorized to enlist the help of young shark expert Matt Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss) and crusty shark hunter Quint (Robert Shaw). Brody, Hooper, and Quint are a wonderful trio of contrasts aboard Quint's ship as they hunt the giant great white shark. One early exchange between Hooper and Quint quickly sums up their relationship:

Quint: You have city hands, Mr. Hooper. You been countin' money all your life.
Hooper: All right, all right. Hey, I don't need this... I don't need this working-class-hero crap.

And you have Brody, who lives on an island but doesn't ever go in the water, playing the level headed one of the trio who wants to be anywhere but on a boat. The character dynamics between the three are terrific fun to watch and lead to many memorable scenes and quips ("You're gonna need a bigger boat." or "Cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water." or "Slow ahead. I can go slow ahead. Come on down here and chum some of this sh-t." or "I'm not going to waste my time arguing with a man who's lining up to be a hot lunch." and then there's the USS Indianapolis speech. Quint's tale (and character motivation) is a perfect marriage of acting, writing, and direction and is likely my favorite scene of the film. Robert Shaw is absolutely riveting as he tells his tale of his WWII naval vessel going down after being hit by Japanese submarine torpedoes and the men having to survive for days in the water as sharks preyed upon them. "I'll never put on a life jacket again." There's been much discussion as to who wrote this scene, but according to Spielberg it was first written by playwright Howard Sackler, who wrote about three quarters of a page, and was then expanded by the great John Milius to about ten pages of dialogue, and lastly Shaw himself pared down Milius' work to what appears in the film. This has to be one of the all-time greatest moments committed to film. But the suspense Spielberg builds towards the end as the ship is slowing sinking while the three men struggle to figure out how to kill the shark and/or how to survive. The way the camera bobs up and down with the waves and how the camera gets lower and lower into the water as the boat slowly sinks is extremely effective in immersing the audience in the situation, especially if you've seen this film in a darkened theater on the big screen, where you nearly feel Brody's sea sickness, not to mention his terror as the shark gets closer and closer. But as fun this film is as a rollercoaster thrill ride, you also can't forget the quieter moments, such as the dinner table scene where Brody and his son silently mimic each other, which audiences would later realize is a moment of pure Spielberg. Or the smaller comic moments early in the film with Broday taking reports of kids from the karate class "karate chopping" the fences, perfectly establishing Chief Brody's usual police activities. Even these small moments all serve a purpose and there is not a wasted moment. Additional, no one could review this film without acknowledging the contribution of John Williams' iconic score. After watching the film I listen to Williams' score and found his heavy use of strings and even some of the themes very similar to Bernard Herrmann's score for "Psycho." Overall, this film is an American film classic and is a must see for all audiences.
June 29, 2017
Watching one of the great movies of the 1970s and of all time) - JAWS. The original blockbuster. A simple story of man against nature.
½ June 26, 2017
Classic movie! Its soundtrack has lived throughout the decades and will forever be. It won an Academy Award for it, obviously!
June 25, 2017
A thrilling shark drama that is most of all a technical masterpiece, adding so much to special effects in cinema. This classic blockbuster can never be beaten by any other shark movie, and will most likely remain the greatest of its genre.
June 24, 2017
Jaws isn't only the best shark movie of all time, but it might just be the best film of all time. It's an entertaining, suspenseful, timeless movie. It has great and memorable characters. It was the first summer blockbuster and lt's a film that only gets better the more you watch it.
June 22, 2017
This one of the best Steven Spielberg films it's a true classic it's by far the best shark suspense movie of all time and it shall stay that way
June 22, 2017
One of my favorite "go to" movies - can quote most lines by now - still see something new depending on where I see it!
June 18, 2017
A truly epic masterpiece. That provides its viewers with a terrific theme song, visually excellent scenes, great acting and enough comedy and story to go around with. Jaws is an immense and truly epic classic.
½ June 18, 2017
Salah satu karya lagendaris dari Steven Spielberg , jagonya film fiksi. Ga cuma menegangkan tapi siapa yang sangka cerita tentang hiu bisa sangat berkualitas. Ni film super duper keren menurut ane , soalnya susah banget bikin visual hiu dan aksi di laut di jamannya. Jaman sekarang sih emang gampang tinggal pasang kain biru atau hijau jadi deh sama teknologi canggih, tapi ini tahun 1975 gitu loh, hebatnya lagi ni film ditonton sama kita yang bahkan belum hidup tahun itu dan tetap Wow !
June 16, 2017
If you are looking for an amazing Spielberg film or an amazing Universal Studios film, this ones for you. This film is filled with amazing cinematography and great acting. The score is one of John Williams' best. It's a suspenseful film that keeps you on your feet the whole time. This film also has the really awesome "Vertigo Shot". Look for that. This film is an amazing example of how awesome Universal Studios is.

Rating: 10/10
June 14, 2017
This classic horror movie is incredible. My mom love the film and I love it to. And I just love the classic.
June 5, 2017
Best animal horror movie ever
June 4, 2017
jaws is the best shark movie ever made and the graphics are still very good
May 31, 2017
Jaws is no doubt one of the most iconic movies of all time and a prominent part of our cultural literacy. How many variations of "We're going to need a bigger boat." have you seen or heard in your everyday life? It is easy to see why Jaws became the first big summer blockbuster film. The visual effects still hold up even with today's standards. If you pause the film, you may be able to see how fake the mechanical shark actually looks, but combined with Spielberg's masterful camera work, he has been able to fool audiences for decades. However, it isn't the shark that makes the film so great, but the lack thereof. The shark isn't actually shown until halfway through the movie, keeping audiences on the edge of their seats. An invisible enemy combined with the iconic soundtrack by John Williams creates an aura of suspense that is palpable.
The scene that really makes this movie memorable is the speech delivered by Quint to Hooper and Chief Brody out on the Orca after comparing scars and sharing drinks. He describes the weeks he spent floating in the sea after the Indianapolis sank, watching his crewmates get eaten by swarming sharks. Throughout the movie Quint is your stereotypical sea captain, singing sea shanties and drinking almost nothing but booze. Robert Shaw's stony faced, slightly slurred delivery is remarkable, horrifying the audience just as much as it horrified Hooper and Brody. This speech reveals to us why Quint is the way he is while making his death that much more ironic. The thing that has haunted him for most of his life is what ultimately ends up killing him.