Jaws - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jaws Reviews

August 26, 2016
See why people thought that sharks where terrible in 1975
August 21, 2016
One of the biggest box office sensations of all time, a modern classic masterpiece that launched director Steven Spielberg's career, this film became a phenomenon that has the distinction of being the first summer blockbuster, and the film to break the $100,000,000 mark at the box office. It profoundly changed the way movies are made and marketed. The suspenseful tale of a island resort town in New England that has been terrorized by deadly shark attacks from a monstrous great white shark. This film builds the tension methodically and unerringly and pays off with one of the scariest finales in film history. Special kudos must go to the exceptional performances of Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss and Steven Spielberg's dazzling direction, there is a masterful and now legendary Oscar winning score by composer John Williams that brilliantly underscores the anticipatory danger the audience feels well before the shark is ever seen. Verna Fields scores big with her amazing Oscar winning editing, and Bill Butler's cinematography is exquisite. An American landmark film. Highly Recommended.
August 19, 2016
The storytelling in this movie is brilliant. The acting hits the tone of the film right on the head and it makes for a truly atypical horror film. The special effects were great considering the time it was made and the fact that man-eating sharks really exist gives the film a realism that a lot of people aren't quite ready to embrace.
August 16, 2016
5/5. Simply an incredible film that holds up remarkably well. It's still terrifying, intense, and will make you think twice about going in the water.
½ August 13, 2016
Jaws constantly keeps you wondering when the shark will strike next and who will fall victim. Brody, Quint, and Hooper make for a fun trio with great chemistry.
August 13, 2016
FINALLY saw this classic and it was incredible.
½ August 12, 2016
160812: Amazing piece of work. Great actors portraying even greater characters. Will never be replicated.
August 11, 2016
My brother and I laughed at this movie until the shark leaped out of the water. Then we screamed...
August 8, 2016
It's the only film that has had a massive effect on my whole life. No other film has ever come close....it's genius from start to finish
August 7, 2016
A masterfully executed movie, highly entertaining, engrossing and perfectly cast. Considering its troubled production it's astonishing that it turned out so well. A very rewatchable, solid 5 stars.
August 7, 2016
what else can you say? A modern day masterpiece.
August 7, 2016
Jaws is a great summer blockbuster with plenty of thrills and scares. It doesn't hold up as well as it did in the 70's, but Jaws is still one of Spielberg's greatest films.
August 7, 2016
I'll never forget seeing the original JAWS at the General Cinema theatre in Anderson, Indiana. I'll never forget the head at the bottom of the boat. I really don't think that Steven Spielberg has ever topped JAWS and it will be hard for him too.
½ August 3, 2016
Since I wasn't born when this was made, I don't have the nostalgia most people had watching it later on, but it still was a good movie. It was thrilling an kept you on the edge throughout most of the movie. Honestly, a pretty great movie to this day.
July 29, 2016
There are not many who are not at least familiar with the classic film Jaws. Directed by Spielberg, he proves why he is one of the masters of suspense. Jaws has a simple story of a shark terrorizing small beach resort area. A police chief (Roy Scheider), a ichthyologist (Richard Dreyfuss), and a grizzly fisherman (Robert Shaw) all team up to destroy this man eating menace. Where Jaws exceeds is in direction and music. The underwater shots from the Shark's point of view and the epic theme song combine for an unforgettable experience. Along with a mechanical shark that was ahead of its time, Jaws is one the best summer blockbusters of all time and its Oscar nominated was warranted.
July 29, 2016
Jaws is the 11th best movie I ever seen cause the acting and plot is great and the shark effects are amazing!
July 28, 2016
From Quint's shanties, to Bruce, to the haunting score, pretty much everything about this movie is memorable. The suspense starts right off the bat with 15 seconds of black screen, and continues throughout the entirety of the film. The film also doesn't skip on characters. With the paranoid Cheif Brody, to the marine Biologist Hooper, to the slimy greasy Quint. The characters are so like able and you do truly care for their safety. In conclusion Jaws is one of those movies that will truly stand the test of time (even with the fake ass lookin shark).
July 27, 2016
Filmmaker mastermind Steven Spielberg ' s most well crafted film in my opinion is jaws. Jaws is a film that still makes me wonder what lerks deep in the lake that I go to and that made me think about it for a week before thinking about other films. this film is simply fantastic with great visual effects and mind blowing performances and monologues from actors- Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss and Murray Hamilton!!!
July 24, 2016
The movie that made me obsessed with film, Jaws is scary no matter the size of the screen.
July 22, 2016
One of the best horror films I've ever seen. It is a well-crafted story with great cinema moments.