Jayne Mansfield's Car - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jayne Mansfield's Car Reviews

Harlequin68
½ September 15, 2015
In "Jayne Mansfield's Car," a woman had run away from her family to start a new one in England. Decades later, she dies. Her last request is to be buried back in her native Alabama which her old family has complicated feelings about, as her new family accompanies her body.

"Jayne Mansfield's Car" wastes a very good cast that includes Robert Duvall, John Hurt, Billy Bob Thornton(who also directed and co-wrote), Kevin Bacon, Robert Patrick, Ray Stevenson, Frances O'Connor and Katherine LaNasa on a cliche-ridden story that just seems satisfied with recycling tired stereotypes about the South(strange, considering Thornton is from Arkansas), the English and the 1960's. In fact, France O'Connor is about the only one of the cast to rise above the occasion. Which is a shame because there are some good thoughts via this family haunted by war that the best way to make someone a pacifist is to drop them in a war zone.
July 5, 2015
Ensemble drama with a stunning cast. A death brings families from USA and England together and bring their problems too
½ December 19, 2014
An all-star cast, in a film written and directed by, and aso starring, Billy Bob Thornton, about a good 'ol boy southern redneck, Jim Caldwell, with a morbid curiosity in fatal car wrecks, played superbly by Robert Duvall, and his eccentric, hugely dysfunctional family, set in 1969. It is also about war and peace, the generation gap, and how family is defined. Big Jim is one cold-hearted sumbitch who at one point laments that his eldest son, who never saw action, turned out to be pretty normal while the younger two, who enlisted, saw heavy action, and came home heroes are mighty screwed up. It is about how different generations see war, based on their experiences. The heat of the small-town Alabama summer just drips off the screen and the dialog seems genuine and unforced. There is a dark humor that trickles in and out of various scenes, which otherwise might have become overbearing and depressing. I thought it a well done film, in spite of one little plot twist toward the end that went off in an absurd direction I liked it. A lot.
August 17, 2014
Not an overly compelling story, but some great performances and scenes. Also featuring a wonderfully understated anti-war message (which got a bit heavy at the end).
Frances O'Connor...sexy.
Katherine LaNasa...hot.
½ March 26, 2014
Superb cast ,and moments of genius,but painfully slow and mundane between the few moments of pure entertainment.Not at all what you'd expect with this name,which only refers to a Pop Culture moment taking place in their town.Not really worth an indepth review.The only highlights are Frances O'Connor reciting the Light Brigade naked ,and Billy Bobs character,badly burned in WWII ,wearing his medals directly pierced through his badly burned torso.I can't say I recommend this film
½ March 22, 2014
Review:
For some unknown reason, I really couldn't get into this film. It starts off well and the concept was great, but the director failed on the execution. It seemed to drag after a while, but I liked the various characters who all had there own personal issues. My expectations of the film was quite high because of the cast, but once that the whole family starts getting on, it turns a bit boring. With John Hurt, Robert Duvall, Billy Bob Thornton and Kevin Bacon, the director should have made use of the A Listers.

Round-Up:
Judging by the money that this movie made, it's obvious that I wasn't alone with the fact that this film just wasn't what it could have been. It's not that all of the actors and actresses didn't put in a good performance, it's just that it seemed like the storyline dried up after a while. The chemistry between the characters was quite interesting to watch, especially Duvall & Hurt who were great together and I loved the scene when Duvall was tripping in the woods, but nothing else really stood out in the movie for me.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: $15,000 (Terrible!)

I recommend this movie to people who are into there family dramas set in the 1960's who are drawn together by under unusual circumstances. 3/10
March 20, 2014
Well I have to admit in spite of these tepid reviews, I like this movie already just from peeking at the making of and seeing the cast...it is definitely an actor's movie...while I gather the story telling isnt great, it is one of those well worth watching just for the cast and their work. I find this to be the case for me with most movies I have seen directed by actors...the vast majority dont do very well, as often they are a bit obscure or too weird for the mainstream, not to mention low budget and too character driven for the mainstream and to not insult the public, just not the sort of thing studios spend the gadzoillions on marketing which is required for a film to go public these years...point blank...i am thinking of features i have enjoyed by other working or well known actors like TIm Blake Nelson (you know his face if not his name), Tim Roth, Steve Buscemi and others...this one too...while from these reviews, I suspect I will find it is not the best storytelling, I am sure I will enjoy it...so there..eat that Gravity #AllIsLost
March 17, 2014
A case where a great film is wasted on much of it's audience. Glad I didn't depend on reviews here to pick a film to watch.
March 15, 2014
Not sure how I feel about this movie. It was a bit rambling, and the characters were difficult to engage with because they were all a bit odd and over the top. And if you're looking for a regular plot and action, you won't get that either. this is strictly a character study of a dysfunctional family. I personally love character studies, but I didn't particularly like any of the characters here that much, so I wasn't that invested in it. What makes the film worthwhile is the excellent acting. Robert Duvall and Kevin Bacon are great. Billy Bob Thornton is simply BRILLIANT. The movie is worth watching for his masterful performance alone. The only thing I have liked him in more was the coen brothers' "The Man who wasn't there."
March 14, 2014
OMG this movie was a hoot. BillyBob Thorton has some of the most outrageous writing ideas. I will never look at reciting poetry naked while my partner wakes off the same way again. Odd film but worth viewing. The actor were convincing.
½ March 7, 2014
The oddly titled Jayne Mansfield's Car -- the "car" figures into one scene in the film in which a "decapitated" car was toured around different locations of the country as some kind of a morbid curiosity -- is directed by Billy Bob Thornton (Sling Blade) who also stars in the film as a son of a judgmental and cranky Robert Duvall (The Apostle) in 1969 Alabama. After the death of Duvall's ex-wife -- who left him and the children years before (after the war) to marry another man in England to start a second family -- her body is returned to Alabama for a proper burial ... but accompanying it are her other children (Frances O'Conner [A.I.], Ray Stevenson ['Rome']) and her widower husband (John Hurt - Alien). The film is about these souls coming together and talking ... and about Duvall's three sons coming to terms with him and his disapproving -- of just about all things -- ways. As a veteran, Duvall has a different outlook on the world even though his sons (Robert Patrick [The Terminator] and Kevin Bacon [Footloose]) have also served. Bacon also has some father-son problems with his own son. Not much happens here as it is a study of people ... namely one between fathers and sons. I didn't dislike this film but it is a difficult one to recommend as little happens. The title is more interesting than the film itself. Like this review, it meanders ... there is some depth here; but you have to want to dig it out and put in the time to get the (paltry) reward. I liked the look of the film -- 1960's Americana with picnics and apple pie but that is the surface level. What lies beneath isn't as rosy.
March 6, 2014
Jayne Mansfield's car is an OK drama about two different families coming together for the death of family member trying to get along. The very good cast stars in this one Billy Bob Thornton Robert Duvall and Kevin Bacon and Ron White. C+(2013)
February 25, 2014
With a cast this impressive and a premise with such promise, "Car" should have been a masterpiece. Sadly, the script goes absolutely nowhere and the characters have nothing to offer but cliches. And with about 10 characters too many, there is a lot going on yet nothing really ever happens. Still, I can't say I was bored. It makes for a, well, interesting 2 hours.
February 23, 2014
I am going to pass on this one.
February 20, 2014
Got it but couldn't get into it lol
February 15, 2014
Don't trust the reviews - this is a very good film.
February 9, 2014
Fine ensemble drama with a great cast
February 4, 2014
This is one of the most boring films ever. Billy Bob Thornton is a smug, no talent wannabe. I will never rent anything with him in it. Too bad the other cast members who are really talented wasted their time in this piece.
January 30, 2014
I'm still wondering what I just watched.