Jazz on a Summer's Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jazz on a Summer's Day Reviews

February 7, 2008
chuck , funny and louis armstrong is good trumpet player, good for anyone on a band.
½ January 18, 2008
The performances are very good but I just loved the great feeling of summer and the "zeitgeist" that Bert Stern has managed to capture.
December 21, 2007
Beautiful photography captures a fantastic music festival. Some of it staged, yes, but, that doesn't detract from the feeling of the time and place. There's nothing like jazz on a hot, bright, summer's day.
December 12, 2007
Bert Stern is brilliant, and I love how much he focuses on the crowd, with warmth and humor that is uncanny for a documentary, and also manages to capture the atmosphere of 1959 Newport... not to mention the classic jazz, of course! And it's not marred by voice-overs, which is even better.
November 5, 2007
Wow. If you like jazz, love jazz, or if you're not even familiar with it enough to have an opinion...SEE THIS FILM! Great to watch, or have on for background noise.
½ October 24, 2007
strangely sexy... is that weird?
September 27, 2007
Jazz greats interspersed with footage of the crowd (60's summer fashion) and the America's Cup in Newport. Fantastic.
August 9, 2007
A must see for all jazz fans with great performances from louis armstrong, gerry mulligan etc. Also an interesting document of affluent white america in the 50s.
July 23, 2007
This moive set the standard for filming live music festivals without this there would have been no Woodstock movie - Chico Hamilton is the highlight for me.
June 21, 2007
My favourite doco/movie of all time
June 18, 2007
Best-filmed music performance documentary I have ever seen. Rare footage of Dinah Washington, Theolonius Monk and more. Great footage of hipsters partying at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival. I have to watch it twice in a row and play it loud whenever I put it on. And I am not a huge jazz fan.
June 7, 2007
best music documentary i have ever seen!