Jean De Florette - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jean De Florette Reviews

October 29, 2013
A classic and my favorite French film. The film is 4 hours, split into separate movies due to it's length. "Jean De Florette" is the "prequel" to the equally good "Manon of the Spring". Best to watch both together. Highly recommended
½ September 29, 2013
This movie is the first of a two part adaptation of a 1960s novel. It is set in France after WWI. The story unfolds over a few decades. It is a tale of conspiracy, greed, murder, love lost, revenge, and probably some others. The story held my interest.

Three of the lead actors are prominent in French film. All of them are very good. One is Le Papet (Yves Montand). He is the aging head of a long standing local village family. He is a man of few scruples. The other is his nephew, Ugolin (Daniel Auteuil). He has perhaps a bit more moral substance; but, is also a mental lite-weight. He is easily manipulated by his uncle. The good guy is Jean (Gerard Depardieu). Unfortunately, he is too trusting of his new neighbors/friends. The local villagers, who know some of what is going on, refuse to help him.

The bad-guy duo go about trying to acquire the land and water inherited by Jean. They use methods by turns, forthright and under-handed. The pair are revealed to be morally bereft. The story unfolds and certain truths are exposed.

This film and its sequel, MANON OF THE SPRING, are worth a look.
July 21, 2013
This is true cinema. I adored this movie, and would love to own it. Even though it was in French, I was able to follow it and enjoy it thoroughly. One of my favorites of all time.
June 6, 2013
A beautiful film in every way. Well, almost every way -- Gerard Depardieu is not handsome even when caught on film when he was young and thin. Despite his aesthetic challenges, the story is marvelous and beautifully acted.
½ May 15, 2013
depressing in a great way
April 24, 2013
One of my Dad's favourite films. I found it a bit of a bore. I preferred the sequel, 'Manon of the Spring'.
March 5, 2013
Must be watched with it companion piece Manon of the Spring. Epic masterpiece!
February 14, 2013
A brilliant movie and my new favorite foreign film!
½ February 10, 2013
Compelling and beautiful.
½ January 26, 2013
An outstanding film that broke my expectations by a mile! Great acting and plot
ElCochran90
December 31, 2012
It could have been conceived as a four-hour epic and it still would not lose its magic. Berri's wonderful and visually stunning adaptation could also be interpreted as a reflection of the Turkish masterpiece Susuz Yaz (1964), and how that precious resource called "water" still awakens the greed even in the most uncivilized human beings. Terrific score by Jean-Claude Petit and magnificent landscapes, with a surprisingly decent Depardieu and the always immortal Yves Montand.

97/100
December 9, 2012
The melodic drama, storytelling approach and characters were as beautiful as a Poem or a Song!
December 7, 2012
Want to see at some point in the future! A treat !
September 14, 2012
Grandioses Auteuil et Depardieu (version originale seulement!)
August 27, 2012
Superb tale of deception and revenge. Must be seen with its successor Manon of the Spring. Together, these are a profoundly moving experience.
August 20, 2012
"Ugly exteriors often hide the purest souls"
July 26, 2012
I saw this movie when I was 6 and its still one of my favorites
July 4, 2012
The characters are people of flesh and blood and the scenery looks amazing.
½ June 29, 2012
Very impressive and heartfelt film. A window to another world.
June 18, 2012
Greatest foreign film I've seen.