Jeff Who Lives at Home - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jeff Who Lives at Home Reviews

September 21, 2016
This heartwarming tale takes advantage of Jason Segel's versatility and Ed Helm's best performance is years.
The soundtrack helps a lot and really connects with the whole story.
The only bad thing noticeable in Jeff Who Lives at Home is the cinematography. It looked like as if a 8 years old kid was playing with the camera.
September 5, 2016
A sweet movie about the power of coincidence and the bonds of family and friends.
½ August 4, 2016
Funny and with good acting and some drama. It's a great film about two brothers. One is a socially awkward shut in and the other is a screw up in a terrible relationship where he might be being cheated on. It brings the two brothers that don't care about each other come together and come closer. I thought this was a great film and I loved the duality between the two brothers and their bond growing. It's on Netflix and I say if you have Netflix check it out.
½ May 15, 2016
It starts off strange and interesting and im curious to learn more about this jeff guy but for a short film i felt the story about his mother was boring and the story about his brother was not much better the ending is all sappy might make you cry.
May 2, 2016
The soundtrack helps a lot and really connects with the whole story.
The only bad thing I could see in Jeff Who Lives at Home is the cinematography. It looked like as if a 8 years old boy was playing with the camera.
½ May 1, 2016
unexplicably so much me and not me altogether! love it! quite weird!
½ April 19, 2016
must watch....great life movie
February 7, 2016
Don't miss this one.
½ January 29, 2016
A classic fact that anything meaningful, needs to be a slow moving affair.. While acting needed to be a bit sharper, but it was the slow script that killed a lot for this one..
January 27, 2016
Not my favorite indie. Not a complete waste of time, though.
December 21, 2015
The deep central theme of connective but seemingly random events and the search for a sense of destiny or the universe shaping the course of one's life are interesting and potent ideas that unfortunately don't take flight during the course of film. However I suspect that this is deliberate and the film simply meanders along gently throwing out the odd laugh or poignant moment. There's nothing really to not like here but you can't help feeling like Jeff as you're watching it waiting for that feeling of cosmic wonderment or grand realisation that upon arrival feels decidedly underwhelming.
½ November 11, 2015
A bit uneven - but when it's good it's REALLY good. Truly charming and peculiar.
November 6, 2015
Whatever and whoever are the real stars of Jeff, Who Lives at Home. The film champions the idea that there's order to randomness, but it's up to the individual to make the first connection and see fate through to conclusion. The film is expertly assembled and a pleasure to watch. It's easy on the eyes and mind, but that doesn't make it a thematic lightweight. On the contrary, this is a deep and involved movie, but it's deep and involved like few others, the picture easily intermixing casual cinema with dramatic heft. Jason Segel's performance is exceptional, and the supporting cast understands the movie's superficial qualities and nuance alike. It may be said that all of Jeff, Who Lives at Home's randomness is leading towards a perfect movie.
October 26, 2015
Starts off weak and boring and though the ending attempts to pick up a little, it's too little, too late.

I found it more tedious than funny.
October 15, 2015
A Crisis Puts These Characters Lives In Perspective.. & So It Tis On Par With Other Interconnected-Stories Genre Flicks, As They All Attempt To Pull Together...But This Is A VERY Bland Variation. You Might Say It Has Heart, But No (Soul) Style Or Substance. Kinda Feels Half Empty.
September 18, 2015
Cute and anti-cynical (:
@lital zommer
September 2, 2015
Sweet, funny, and crass, the duplass brothers absolutely deliver.
½ August 21, 2015
A very slight movie, but one I really enjoyed watching. I'm always a fan of Mark and Jay Duplass and naturalistic-feeling mumblecore-type movies, so I pretty much knew I was going to like this from the beginning.

A lot of the plot in the movie is reminiscent of other movies and TV - I'm particularly reminded of the TV show Married, which Judy Greer also stars in, and Togetherness, the TV show Jay and Mark Duplass created - but the actors and style keep it from feeling too redundant. That scene when Linda has her argument with Pat, it could come across as the obvious explosive argument that needed to happen, but when Judy Greer started crying, I was immediately invested, it felt so real. If there's a single person who contributes most to the quality of the movie, though, I think it's Jason Segel, whose facial expressions throughout do so much heavy lifting in making Jeff more than a stereotype. Just look at the little twitches in that great opening scene of him talking about Signs. There's this intense concentration on his face, interrupted by soft, sensitive smiles as he muses on the beauty of a movie and its message. Those facial expressions keep his character likable throughout, and he never comes across as naive or immature. He's a sweet, sincere guy.

If there's something imperfect about the movie, it's the last act. The end of Sharon's story is really sweet. I'm less sure about the idea of Jeff jumping into a lake and saving some people's lives. I'm not sure I liked that they teased Jeff possibly drowning, though his line "I'm hungry" undercut the sentimentality a little bit. Again, these filmmakers are capable of making really cheesy and imperfect material feel real and genuine, so when Linda runs up to Pat and cries as she embraces him, I almost cried, even though the sequence seemed like a different movie in some ways. Still, it felt natural for Jeff to make an impulsive decision like that, and the determination on Segel's face made it believable.

I also don't think we needed to hear at the end that the father he saved was named Kevin. It felt a little trite and predictable, even though it brought the story full-circle in a satisfying way, and if they wanted to show us his name was Kevin, I would've liked it in a slightly more understated way, like as an easter egg in the background of the news or something. I was a little curious what the exact meaning of the movie was, in the end; is the movie coming out definitively on the side of fate and destiny? It feels good to see Jeff's faith confirmed, but I'm always a little wary of endings that rest on the idea of "wow, everything is related!" or something, like in the movie Crash. Of course, I like this movie more than Crash, and if you could call it pro-destiny, it made that point in an elegant and understated way.