Jefferson in Paris - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jefferson in Paris Reviews

February 18, 2016
good historical drama
½ February 12, 2016
A bunch of supposition unsupported by the known facts but a handsome production, if a bit overlong. Jefferson's daughter Martha Jefferson Randolph, by all reports a vivacious charming girl, is done an injustice by way of the sulky, petulant flat performance Paltrow gives of her.
½ May 9, 2015
Jefferson in Paris is a decent film. It is about Thomas Jefferson serving as the French ambassador prior to the French Revolution. Nick Nolte and Gwyneth Paltrow give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. James Ivory did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.
½ August 14, 2013
Comes off as weak sauce and with almost no direction. The film seems to wander aimlessly through Jefferson's years in Paris without much point. There he is talking to his daughter who hates slaves and wants to join a Parisian convent. There he is flirting with a married Italian woman. There he is flirting, maybe?, with his young slave. There he is talking to French people. Not only does the film not have a clear story in mind, it also seems to forget that not everyone speaks French. There are a number of conversations all in French with no subtitles. Just people speaking French for whole scenes. I can see where Nick Nolte may have kind've had the look, but he was pretty bland as Jefferson. Thandie Newton was fun to watch; vibrant and interesting. Gwyneth Paltrow was also interesting as a spoiled, confused teenager.
March 10, 2013
What a fascinating story that covered these overlapping stories of independence. It also had a good cast. It was something I was glad to know more about, despite the parts that seemed contrived, i.e. Martha's dilemmas. Additionally, many themes were too complicated to be covered in this relatively short film, regardless I still enjoyed learning about the various relationships in Jefferson's life and how he managed to balance them or let them fall. The production was rather simple at times, but they managed to do well on a limited budget to portray the pomp and circumstance of the French Court at the time of the revolution and all the freedoms involved. They managed to attack Jefferson's contridictions in his hacing fought for freedoms, yet still he had not giving them to all, i.e. his daughter and his slaves.
½ January 26, 2013
While not a particularly powerful film, this remains an interesting look at the time spent by our third president in France and his romances there. Oddly enough, Jefferson (as played by Nick Nolte) becomes one of the least interesting characters in the film as everything just seems to be happening around him rather than as a result of his actions. This is both a result of Nolte's less-than-firey performance and a script that tries to both play it safe by never showing Jefferson and Sally Hemmings romantically together but insisting that it happened regardless.
Nonetheless, I was caught up in the historical drama of it all with its handsome production values and a great supporting cast.
I've never wanted to slap Gwyneth Paltrow more than in a few scenes here and let's be honest - that's really saying something.
October 5, 2012
This was not what I expected at all, it fell flat in way of explanation. There was so much left untold yet the plot dragged on and on. I kept waiting for something, anything to happen but nothing ever did. I was very disappointed because it seemed to have such potential.
March 20, 2010
½ November 25, 2009
American point of view -
½ August 4, 2009
It was okay. Nick Nolte would not have been my first choice for Jefferson, but he did surprisingly well. This movie focused more on Jefferson's personal life than on the politics of time.
½ July 11, 2009
The only reason to watch this movie is Seth Gilliam, who is admittedly a pretty good reason. Oh, and to be fair, Vincent Cassel has a brief cameo as Camille Desmoulins, so if you are a Cassel or Desmoulins fan then by all means . . . fast forward to that part of the film.

A more interesting story would have been Sally's relationship with Jefferson's daughters and her brother, and the affair with Jefferson in the background.
January 14, 2009
If you like a period drama which sticks closely to historical fact, this one is very informative. Most of it takes place at Versailles before the French Revolution but after the American War of Independence when Thomas Jefferson was US Ambassador to France. The backgrounds are sumptuous and the plot fascinating: Jefferson was an intriguing and complicated man.
January 2, 2009
Thandie Newton is intriguing and Gwyneth Paltrow is well cast. Nick Nolte is a strange kind of Jefferson but overall the film hangs together.
September 4, 2008
pas un chef d oeuvre, mais le point de vue est interressant
½ July 31, 2008
I was hoping Nick Nolte's role as Thomas Jefferson would be a little more inspiring...he appears tired thoughout his performance...Gwyneth Pathrow as his daughter was excellent ...frankly I don't give a damn about Jefferson getting busy with his slave girl Sally Hemings...its almost ironic as Jean Jacques Rousseau abandoning his wife and children
½ September 27, 2007
Great movie. Shown primarily from Jefferson's point of view, which compliments the 2000 CBS miniseries Sally Hemings, which shows her relationship with Jefferson from her point of view.
June 7, 2007
Great film, a bit vulgar in parts but when have the French not been vulgar. I'd highly recommend it
February 23, 2007
I do not like Paltrow, but I'll take a chance on this one because I'm interested in the story.
November 24, 2006
Nick Nolte: surprising clarity & precision, and not a hair out of place.