Jennifer 8 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jennifer 8 Reviews

August 24, 2012
Poor man's WAIT UNTIL DARK eventually yaks itself to death.
August 12, 2012
Jennifer 8 is a very uneven suspense drama, with elements of a strong serial killer thriller, but also a number of issues which undermine it. The cinematography is great, and succeeds in creating a very eerie unnerving feeling throughout the film. Some of the performances are pitch-perfect (John Malkovich), good (Andy Garcia), but also flat and unconvincing. This is largely due to a script that has some excellent dialogue exchanges, but also features a number of clunky lines and a confused sense of direction. The film is never as involving as it should be. Still, Jennifer 8 manages to keep things interesting enough with a compelling protagonist, and some really strong work (albeit belated) by John Malkovich.

3/5 Stars
½ May 3, 2012
uma was so convincing as a blind person. she had me kid.
April 7, 2012
Could have been a great movie with an interesting plot and characters. Some how that got lost in execution and with movies that have come since the flick feels even less impressive than it might have been once.
November 9, 2011
How does jen 8 not at least get an 8, its ridickalis, you people don't know how great a movie is, you really don't, its impossible for you see whats good. I need to make a movie where I go around killing all you lame ass film critics, you can rate my movie, and then the fun begins, and its the last films you ever rate, this is one of andy garcias best roles.
½ October 19, 2011
Wednesday, October 19, 2011

(1992) Jennifer 8
THRILLER/ SUSPENSE

Andy Garcia stars as John, burnt out cop transferred from LA to a smaller city this time where the weather is always awful, snows on some days, rains on others. A dead body gets discovered on this garbage dump site and John's in charge of the case. While searching around, another body part has been found nearby while searching for a knife and this time it's a hand which doesn't appear to match to the body! It's later been suspected that the hand belonged to a blind female person named Jennifer and that she's the 8th victim- hence the title, leading this investigation to the institution for the blind. There, he falls in love with one of his witnesses, Helena played by Uma Thurman is when things start to become miserable again for John, with untypical obsticles happening, becoming more obsessed with this case, getting him more into trouble!

Another typical implausible serial killer film that stars Andy Garcia, Uma Thurman and Lance Hendrickson. The first half hour starts out great until it becomes one plot hole after the next which no other police district or police officer would neither help or assist him upon his investigation, including the witness herself. No fingerprints, DNA, tire tracks (in the snow or mud) or search warrants are ever presented, where John always have to take liberty breaking into other peoples homes to find information he needed. The only bright person was the Lance Hendrickson as Freddy which was short lived! Everything was planned out so perfectly for the serial killer who appears to be one step ahead of the police that the movie tends to drag, making it longer than it should be!

1.5 out of 4
½ June 1, 2011
This is a movie that begins so well and goes downhill so badly. Andy Garcia plays a burnt out L.A. detective who is a recovering alcoholic (which they all are in these movies) who is trying to quit smoking, but throwing away cigarettes with every pack he owns. He moves to Eureka, Calif. to work alongside his brother-in-law played by Lance Henriksen. While responding to a body dump at the city dump, they discover a severed hand. From there, the movie goes downhill. First off, nothing is ever said again about the dead man even though the cops rule it a homicide based on no evidence except hunches. Then, Uma Thurman comes in playing a blind woman just as every actress has, as a frightened, timid character. There's a creepy looking janitor who is just a complete perv, but not a murderer and a host of cops who spend more time frowning and looking suspicious rather than actually doing police work. For a small town, this police force has a lot of detectives. Then, the movie takes a turn in which the Garcia is framed for a murder. It's stuff like this that makes the movie sloppy because one, you can't introduce a character halfway through a movie like this unless he is the killer and you can't introduce his first name toward the end for a "Oh, now we get it!" revelation. Worse, there is a red herring ending where the killer is stalking someone, but it turns out to be the wrong person. It worked in "Nightwalks," but not here. Filmmaker Bruce Robinson has said that he made this movie on the pretense it would be a hit and he would be able to make better movies. Well, it's obvious that he wasn't as much into making the movie and it shows.
DrStrangeblog
May 29, 2011
"Sir, I think I've found something horrible!"

Deliberate, rather well plotted detective curio that is long in development yet short on visceral thrills. I guess we don't see this kind of mystery in multiplexes anymore because of the proliferation of cop shows on TV that tell this kind of story. Some fine acting from Lance Henriksen and Andy Garcia who are strangely cast as brothers, with Garcia amusingly letting his natural Cuban accent slip out when his temper rises. John Malkovich is great in a small but crucial role as interrogator, and don't forget about blind girl Uma! I appreciated that the expected romance between cop & target was allowed to develop so that it made some sense and that the police department behaves in a very logical, methodical way. The killer's motive is not very convincing, but their identity at least is not merely chosen for shock value. A pretty good movie that mostly holds up through the end, I'll take it over any 3 episodes of C.S.I.
April 24, 2011
Not a bad cop thriller. One definitely worth watching and waiting for the ending. I thought Uma Thurman did an excellent job pulling off a blind girl. Andy Garcia's acting seemed a bit dry and emotionless. It's enough to be noticeable, yet not bad enough to ruin the whole movie. Without giving anything, I did especially like how the murderer was served justice in the end. Added to our "must buy" list for our DVD collection.
January 8, 2011
why did this film get bad reviews for?? i enjoyed it, good storyline! plus andy garcia's fittt!!
½ December 28, 2010
a classic from the early 90's
½ December 27, 2010
Pretty suspenseful movie.
½ August 29, 2010
I always wanted to see this one and it really didn't disappoint...acting was good..plot was interesting...nice twist...a bit better than just ok...
½ July 9, 2010
I found it boring when there was still VHS rental. A little bit better by re-watching it but far from good for its loose, lengthy & serious dragging from the middle till the end.
½ July 3, 2010
This film progressed interestingly. First half or two thirds of the film tells the story at a fairly moderate pace. Just when I thought it was predictable and about to end, a twist happens, which had me thinking the film had lost the plot, but then pulls itself together again with a script that was well-written.
½ January 14, 2010
Loved this film, thought it was really entertaining and was shocked many a time by it. A proper psychological thriller and kept me guessing til the end. Andy Garcia and Uma Thurman worked well together and I always admire actors/actresses that portray a blind character. Although I didn't recognise any of the others in the film, they all did a great job.
January 3, 2010
Very dull, very average psychological thriller.
½ December 20, 2009
Slow. A little hard to get into.
November 6, 2009
Not bad cop thriller. Decent performances all round and keeps you going throughout. You really feel for Andy Garcia as he deals with a small town mentality and fucks up left, right and centre. Well worth a watch.
September 19, 2009
A good cast, but I failed to get into it.....maybe I didn't give it a chance but I didn't get pulled into this film....