Jerry and Tom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jerry and Tom Reviews

January 1, 2015
The murder victim cameos were the best part... Danson and William Macy stole the screen until they died.
½ December 22, 2014
A hidden indie gem that I'd never heard of, but was very entertained by. Even if it's a lesser-than Tarantino/Scorsese wannabe, it has charm and direction I dug, plus a great cast.
July 19, 2014
I think this movie, while not great, certainly blends Tarantino-style dialogue with Scorsese execution. In many ways this is like watching a more modest and smaller version of GoodFellas. Neither Jerry or Tom are really that far up on the mob ladder, they're really two-bit hitmen. The story is deceptively simple, Tom brings Jerry into their business. At first Jerry is apprehensive and nervous about doing a job. As time progresses, Jerry becomes a little too reckless and cocky for his own good, so Tom has to rein him in, to keep both Jerry and himself safe and out of trouble. Simple enough. Problem is the film feels more like a series of skits than a full-fledged narrative. Yes, Jerry does go through a change and his change from nervous rookie to ruthless killer is the thread that's holding all of this together, but it's not great. It's just barely a narrative. Thankfully, the dialogue, which feels like something out of a Tarantino movie, is very good and Sam Rockwell and Joe Mantegna have great chemistry together. That certainly makes the film's structure a little more tolerable and I do find the script really well-written, with plenty of clever lines, but I don't think that the movie is probably as fully realized as it could've been. I can imagine everybody raving after reading this script for the first time. Maybe not raving vociferously, but definitely feeling very positive about it. It doesn't come that way on screen unfortunately. I don't blame the script, I don't even blame the treatment itself, but it just didn't come together as well as it could've. Still this was a good, solid movie with great dialogue and good acting, these elements just don't come together to make a great film.
March 1, 2014
Great script and cast make a rather different kind of mob hit man movie with lots of tongue in cheek. I'm not a fan of gangster movies, but this one was very entertaining and full of irony.
January 21, 2013
Wholly overlooked black comedy about a veteran hitman showing the new guy the ropes, Jerry and Tom is an exercise in masterful dialogue directed by a newbie with vision. It may be too talky for some, but for the cinephile it's one of those rare treats that you find while snooping around netflix too long. Mantegna and Rockwell are a strangely charismatic team.
January 12, 2013
This was terrible! The dialogue was awful and went nowhere and you never care for the characters at all. A very cheap Tarantino imitation indeed. On a positive note the sets and costumes looked cool.
½ December 20, 2012
Making his directorial debut within the post-Pulp Fiction spate of tongue-in-cheek hit man pictures, actor Saul Rubinek interlaces a witty Mamet-inspired black comedy about car salesmen moonlighting as hit men with visual experimentation to slickly tie its caricatural set pieces and clever dialogue. And the good time the delectable cast clearly had making this film transposes into a good time for us. I suppose this reduction to absurdity of a frayed mini-genre is too cliquish and abstract as such to have go far when released, but it should've enjoyed an at least modestly noteworthy afterlife by now.
December 20, 2011
"Jerry and Tom" is a wholly unknown work of cohesive directorial vision, showing us independent cinema at its absolute best. The director, Saul Rubinek, exhibits a largely unexpected amount of talent. Scenes will transition from one setting to another without cutting a single time, blending perfectly together. It's utterly magnificent and will no doubt leave you in question. As for the acting, Mantegna and Rockwell are great and funny in their lead roles and the supporting cast is phenomenal as well. I only had a problem with the flashbacks, which I could've done without, but overall, I was pleasantly surprised. The mood was just right and most of the violence was kept off-screen. You got wonder why the best films are the ones that no ones ever heard of, but that's a good thing. Movie lovers tend to feel accomplished when they find a hidden gem. I know I do.
August 12, 2011
Though often funny as a black comedy, with stylish direction and a great visual sense, it lacks a narrative and back story befitting of the actors involved. I loved both Sam Rockwell and Joe Mategna in it, but it was hard to relate to either of them with the unorthodox shifts in scenes and time, which did look good but sometimes gave the film an overall disjointed feel. Certainly unique enough to make it worth checking out.
July 23, 2011
sam rockwell is an under rated actor. he's really great in this.
June 1, 2011
Just a quick rating of a movie seen in the past.
June 1, 2011
A terrific cast bolsters this dark crime comedy about hit me. Some amusing situations, decent pace and well edited. It never bored me.
June 1, 2011
Sadly overlooked film about an older hitman teaching a younger hitman the ropes. Saul Rubinek's direction is impressive, and very visual considering he is an actor. It brings to mind George Clooney's debut as director, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (oddly enough, also starring Rockwell). Scenes blend in and out of each other and some of the transitions between scenes will leave you scratching your head wondering just how they did that. And talk about an all star cast. Mantegna and Rockwell are predictably amazing in the lead roles, but Ted Danson, William H. Macy and everyone else does fantastic jobs in supporting roles. A constantly entertaining watch that leaves me scratching my head wondering why it doesn't have some sort of fanbase.
August 21, 2008
If you love acting you'll love this. More like a stage play than a film, great character study. Three superb actors - but best of all my favorite: the astonishing Sam Rockwell.
March 29, 2008
i have a real soft spot for Sam Rockwell after this movie, can't seem to find a movie i don't like with him in it.
½ November 27, 2007
Great Dark Black Comedy, This is a rare movie not to be missed.