Gangster's Paradise: Jerusalema - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gangster's Paradise: Jerusalema Reviews

July 29, 2016
I watched this movie a couple years ago. It was listed as a foreign movie which I try to watch foreign movies on Wednesdays. Anyway to my surprise the movie was in English and was a very well made movie. The story line was very good and the excitement was very good. This movie matched and could hold up to any American movie with a multimillion dollar budget.
If you have time you should absolutely watch this movie
March 16, 2015
This film probably let itself down for being well known by having too much of the script in the local languages.....great for an SAfrican watching it, but not for a foreign audience. Does tell a good story, especially about the war between SAfricans and Nigerian druglords in Hilbrow, which is very real, and very current.
January 22, 2014
Powerful, violent, fascinating, and extremely well-acted crime movie about the rise and rise (and eventual fall) of a black South African crime lord.
October 31, 2013
This "potent, energized slice of South African life" is a "rags-to-riches tale cut from the same cloth as City of God, Goodfellas and Scarface." Reminds me most of Stander and Viva Riva! "Bold and extremely complicated, this epic thriller is an eye-opening exploration of Johannesburg."
June 24, 2013
All I'm gonna say is : by any means necessary
April 29, 2013
Good film although there have been so many of them now. A typical Gangster film with its cliche storyline.
½ March 24, 2013
It lacks a bit in the character & editing department but Gangster's Paradise tells a good coming-of-age/gangster tale that entertains as it is insightful.
½ January 29, 2013
Ultimately, like all the best gangster films, it is a story of people, not principles. Actions, not ideas. And it is very nearly a masterpiece. It's entertaining from start to finish and totally worth a watch. I say SEE IT!!!
½ November 27, 2012
Great movie about the slums of Africa - very similar to the city of god.
November 16, 2012
Great movie!!!!!...i couldnt stop thinkin about it when it went off..
½ July 14, 2012
not a bad movie, good change up.
April 25, 2012
u gotta check Gangters Paradise...two thumbz up! Jerusalema!
April 18, 2012
"After every revolution comes a new order, but before that comes opportunity." Boyhood friends organize to revitalize a South African slum and take away the fortunes of white slum lords. They cunningly exploit the fledgling legal system and use a little muscle. Things get messy, and there are gunfights.
March 31, 2012
This 2008 South African movie is hot! This movie reminds me of the movie "American Gangster" but better!
February 19, 2012
The life story of a good hearted gangster sat in South Africa. This is a quite thrilling film where there is a lot of development and lots of things going on. It's pace is good and it never feel boring. Still it felt a bit half harted and it should have been even better produced. It's an entertaining film, but a bit forgetable. It's smart, historical and action packed and nothing feel overdone. Jerusalema is "Cidade de Deus's" little brother, taking place on another continent.
January 16, 2012
Great Movie , Reminds me of City of God.
½ January 8, 2012
The rise and fall of a man in South Africa who initially just wanted to make a better life for himself, but got completely lost along the way. Good movie.
December 22, 2011
lame sequel of sorts
½ October 3, 2011
I've seen this story before (rags 2 riches gangster flick), but the execution is excellent......unflinching safari into South Africa's underbelly....not as captivating as "City Of God", but holds it's own despite languishing in familiar territory.....Samfry
July 30, 2011
Another wannabe City of God, not amazing but gives you an incite into SA.