Jess + Moss - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jess + Moss Reviews

½ October 9, 2015
An impressionistic film shot in 16 mm in Kentucky about a young boy and his older cousin hanging out by themselves and dealing with their secrets and abandonment issues. There is a story, but not much of one. Your enjoyment will depend on how much you enjoy watching a beautifully shot film that doesn't really amount to much. I enjoyed it.
½ August 23, 2012
A quiet, slow film composed mainly of small glimpses at the way these two young people deal with their abandonment issues. Watching the film was almost like visiting an art gallery or museum, with gorgeous images stacked one on top of each other that did little to advance the story, such as it was, but kept this viewer completely enthralled. One felt there was an emotional developmental delay in Jess (Sarah Hagan), possibly caused, we eventually discover, by the tenuous hold she has on her mother, who disappeared from her life in some indeterminate past. Meanwhile Amos, or Moss (Austin Vickers), is dealing with the loss of his parents to an accident. A few other people float about the edges of the film, but it is these two young actors who carry the bulk of the film and were certainly up to the task. The images are what stays with one as the credits roll. It truly is a beautiful film that would normally be out of my comfort zone with such a minimal story, but somehow this one succeeds where many have failed to engage.
June 3, 2012
One of those hidden gems you hope to be able to find. It's like a feast for the eyes and ears of the art film geeks. Seek this one out.
½ April 12, 2012
A meditative exploration of friendship, loss, memory, and sexual awakening, set against a backdrop of the decaying rural South. Jeter trades in narrative for more free reign in a perma-dusk character experience.
½ April 7, 2012
An uber-indie nostalgia-laden deeply allegorical Southern Gothic fairytale with a lyrical melancholy attaching to a mosaic of both memory and sexual awakening .
April 2, 2012
Beautiful imagery, scenery, lovely. It transported me back to my coming-of-age and the dreaminess of memories. Very vivid.
March 11, 2012
Saw this movie at 2011 Sundance Film Festival. The movie will make you question every memory you think you can recall. Using different grades of film stock(no high def digital here), the recall of memory is shown in its many gradiations from crystal clear to dark and muddied. You will begin to see that memories are not always clear or constant. No matter where you had your childhood, you are going to say "wow, that is what I remember about the summer of ...." No car chases, shoot'em ups or outlandish sexcapades. This is not a summer teen flick. It is a movie that will leave you wondering about what you think you remember.
½ July 28, 2011
Extra half mark for the best collection of high-waisted shorts I have yet seen on screen.
½ July 15, 2011
The story of two kids in rural KY during a lazy summer. "Story" is kind of stretching it. It's really two kids Talking a doing kid shit in various abandoned houses / barns / cars.

"Kids" is also stretching it. He's certainly pre-teen. And while she could never over-mature him; it's clear that she's fully teen + . Why their together and alone becomes clearer as we move through.

But beyond the story, which is admittedly slow, is some of the most visually satisfying direction/cinematography I've ever seen in an independent film. Someone really saturated the color in post-production and it is worth the watch.
½ June 11, 2011
It's My Girl meets Wizard of Oz meets 500 Days of Summer. Brilliantly gorgeous and pristine to the core. Any indie-goer is bound to adulate this organic piece of art that resonates memory, loss, wonder, and love. Hagan and Vickers are perfectly cast as unlikely, different-aged kids who both obsess and fantasize of their unknown, inchoate, or unfortunate past. Through this similitude, they gambol, muse, and communicate in a refreshingly humble and truthful manner. The painstakingly slow pace picks up speed towards the end when both realize it's best to move forward in a healthy direction than to settle in the mysterious past. I would've liked to witness some more substantial breakthroughs and developments with the leads, as the bike rides and arbitrary debauchery grew old quickly. A terrific debut effort by Jeter.