Jesse Stone: Benefit of the Doubt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jesse Stone: Benefit of the Doubt Reviews

November 7, 2016
Love Love Jesse Stone Movies!
½ October 24, 2016
The one man force.

The eighth film in the Jesse Stone series based upon the characters created by Robert B. Parker. If you had read all my previous reviews of this series, you would know how much I'm looking forward for this. Not like I'm happy with the series to continue, but the last couple of films were below par than usual Jesse films. Like always, I went for it expecting the series could get better, and does it fulfill my desire? I won't say it did, but surely a decent one. It had the opportunity to become much better than that, but it was the story, like they wanted to start off again from the scratch. So it was kind of a refresher in the series, there's big changes you would find from the very first scene itself.

Jesse received his PPD cap, that mean he's back, but he's the only one left in the force. This time he brought in to investigate the death of his rival in the department. He also has a strong back from the town council, as well as from his Boston boss. So this is an important case for everyone, particularly for Jesse to get back like he always say this is his last stop. This is not a detached story, I mean not some new characters comes in, commits crime and got punished. This is really well improvised story within the available characters. So the viewers can be optimistic about guessing the events including the finale.

Kind of depressing to see one man doing all the job. I mean it was always been like that in the series, but this time feels it was a slow presentation. Jesse is no Rambo, yet feel he's isolated. I liked how the film developed with the existing characters. That means there's a serious change in characters, like many are from the previous films went missing and some of those who appeared in this were involved in termination. So the next film will be very interesting, whether there will be a bunch of new ones or the old ones return.

"Cop deserves the benefit of the doubt."

Regarding the case he's on, he deals it on his usual way. But nothing seems a masterful, the twist and turns are ordinary. So don't anticipate any masterstrokes. Jesse was just roaming around seeking information and then suddenly he gets a clue he was looking for. With that he uses a bait to catch the bad guys and they fall for it. But while dealing it, the event takes an unexpected turn, leaves the story might continue in the following sequel as well. That's the confusing, because the film ran for nearly 90 minutes and did nothing to end on high as it does always. So with this kind of drag, I don't know where the series is heading.

Like I always say, Tom Selleck is the reason I'm still hooked to this series. In this installment, it is all about him, because like I mentioned earlier, the next to his roles like Rose and Luther are off the hook. That means the Jesse's therapist like the third string characters automatically taken the leap forward, but nothing much expectable from them. Particularly Thelma, the Hasty's assistant seems interested in Jesse, but it does not tell us how serious it is. Because fighting crime takes over the this romance, or maybe we can call a flirtation like Jesse does to gain information. I think, again the follow-up is to answer that question.

After getting into the rock bottom with the last film, this one looked much better, but still not the best I was looking for. It's just trying to be a normal film, like a television film from the old days and it succeeded somehow. So definitely it is a decent comeback and there's only one film to go for me to end the Jesse Stone series. Oh, I almost forgot that the original director returned for this, that's really amazing news for the series fans. Like the old team coming together, somewhat the series back on the track. The next film that released in the 2015 was received well, that's what I've heard, so can't wait to watch it. The final review on its way, meet me there.

7/10
September 5, 2016
I enjoy this series and Selleck's portrayal of Robert Parker's character, Stone. This outing was rather slow in pace and detail. I just finished watching it and I'm not satisfied enough information was imparted to the audience to connect the dots in the murders. Though it was nice to see all the regulars, I would be able to handle not seeing them in trade for a more involving story. And with a quicker pace.
December 24, 2015
Outstanding 8 movie series that is classic Tom Selleck at his best.
August 6, 2014
Why can't anyone see this damn movie
½ April 2, 2014
Worst ending in movie ever!
March 29, 2014
This is a well made drama with a dynamite cast. For those who follow this series, it is the one we were waiting for. Most have been waiting for Chief Stone to return. We got got our wish. I hope this series continues for a long time.
January 26, 2014
Average. Not the best of the series.
January 26, 2014
I love mysteries and the Jesse Stone series is great.
January 2, 2014
I was slightly less impressed by this entry in the Jesse Stone series than I had been by the earlier episodes but it was entertaining and Tom Selleck continues to do a fine job in making the character believable and likable. I thought this episode had a very good grabber of a beginning. Fans of the series should find it enjoyable, but if you are new to the series this is not the film you should start with.
½ April 28, 2013
Jesse Stone: Benefit of Doubt, I've seen twice now; Jesse is no longer chief and is like a hermit. Two officers, including the replacement chief, are lured to a violent death and Jesse is brought back as chief to replace them and solve their murder.

Jesse finds the station locked up when he goes in for the first time since being re-instated, having to smash his way in and then disabling the alarm system when he realizes he has an outdated password.

Rose(?) is no longer working there, having left town to her mothers. Luther quit and has returned to fishing the oceans but at the very end, he returns to being an officer. 9/10
April 20, 2013
Really a great series, especially the dialogue. I look forward to traveling to picturesque Nova Scotia where this was filmed.
March 1, 2013
Over & Over About the Same Issues....
½ September 27, 2012
The beginning of the movie was really surprising in a good way, like braking into police station... but somewhere along the way the movie became deluded with too much non-conversation scenes or unnecessary conversation scenes...
½ September 4, 2012
finally Jesse Stone returns to the chief of police but its not without its downsides. this whole film is a complete change in pace from the last two additions which is interesting as the last two films were the weakest of the series so far. the film opens and closes with a bang but also allows the franchise to have new life ready for the next entry.
hopefully the series will return to the basics of what made the series so great but for the time being this addition recovers the franchise. Tom Selleck is still interesting as the lead character even if he's damaged side doesn't really show its side here. the character seems to be moving on so hopefully they can end this series shortly before the gas really does run out.
½ August 10, 2012
"I don't care about convictions, I care about Justice." Tom Selleck returns as the morally dubious and dismissive Paradise Police Chief, Jesse Stone. After his replacement explodes into a million billion bits, Selleck returns to an empty police station to kickstart his reign in the small town. 8 films into the franchise and there is no sign of slowing down, both the William Sadler mafioso plot & the Saul Rubinek friendly evil car dealer plots gain new heat but there's still plenty of room from fringe players like Stephen McHattie, William Devane, and Gloria Reuben. However, the standout performance has to go to Robert Carradine as the devious deer hunter tracking Selleck's moments. Their pullover encounter manages to be scary and pretty darn funny thanks to a few key eyebrow twitches from the younger Carradine. VF.
July 5, 2012
steady, dependable viewing...
June 2, 2012
The eighth movie is still pretty good. The method used to get Stone back as chief was a bit forced, but otherwise still satisfying.