Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost Reviews

October 24, 2016
Who is this Cindy the Jesse is fond of?

The seventh film in the Jesse Stone series and not based on any book. Seems that's it, the adaptations are over. I thought it was a temporary diversion, but after the third straight film with no sign of going back, somewhat clear that it won't in the future as well. So only the characters from the book by Robert B. Parker was used to take the series forward with the original screenplays.

Jesse is preoccupied with new of him. He stopped talking to his ex- wife since the phone line he cut off. But it could be the reason a teen girl's death. I mean he's not responsible, but when she needed him the most he was unreachable. So he's kind of in guilt for her death and trying to find the real reason behind it. The police department closed the case with a simple statement, but Jesse knows there's something or someone to blame. Like usual, he goes after with the clues he got and also gets some help from his frenemy Mr Fish. Where it takes him and how he solves it comes in the last quarter.

In the opening credit, it was a different look, particularly the Jesse character was transformed into something new. When the rest of the film was in progress, there's nothing like that, just the old Jesse we all knew. He's trying to be close with Reggie, but it is not working. He's not in the force which is not looking good. Not just for him, but also for the film. Because he is a cop, a best one the paradise has ever seen, but his exit from the force was uninteresting the new development in the series. They are trying with the different things since it left the book, but not paying off with the success the series saw from the initial three films.

"What are you looking at?"

The director for this sequel has changed. This is the first time and I was not expecting that, because I thought that's the best thing about this series. I know the last couple of films were not up to the standards, but seems it's good that they wanted a fresh perspective, still, I don't think the new attempt worked out so well. I won't blame the director completely, first of all the story was pretty bad. This is surely the worst film in the series and it came in the time when the series needed a serious uplift. I don't know, from this position where it will head in the future.

It's not about the film is bad, but it does suit to be a part of the Jesse Stone franchise and that's the issue here. Because I felt it was out of the sync with the series. Those new characters, especially what they told us the dead girl Cindy was a close friend of Jesse is somewhat unacceptable. We have never seen her before and you can't just bring her in saying that's a very important person in Jesse's life. Because we know Jesse since he got to Paradise, so this girl is a mystery. Sorry, it did not work for me, maybe a prequel to that might do the fixing job all the damage done in this part. But I'm not confident about that would happen.

For the filmmakers, this installment is a bad dream. How could the writers did not think to include the flashbacks to cover up the flaws. I feel they should have sticked with the Robert B. Parker's book series. Other than the messed up story, as an individual film, it can be enjoyable. Many Jesse Stone fans upset with this one, though I hope the next one gets better. I'm saying that since last few films, but it is only going down and seems not recovering.

Like Selleck is the only reason this film still watchable. He was wonderful with a good supporting cast. So let's see what's going to happen to the film characters, looks some of the main ones useless here. With the wonderful characters, the makers are not developing the interesting story. I almost lost interest in this, but there are just a couple of films left, so I'm going to finish it off. I hope they can be what I'm expecting.

6/10
½ March 22, 2015
This series of TV movies is well done and fairly high quality. Selleck is perfect as (former) police Chief Jesse Stone. The rest of the acting is above average, and the actors make the characters come alive. That being said, this installment is the worst so far. It does nothing to move the story forward as Stone makes no attempt to return to his position. While bringing back the young lady from a previous installment was a nice touch, all she got to do was sit in a car, dead. A bit too maudlin. Still, this is better than many theatrical releases.
August 26, 2014
Tom Selleck reprises his role as Jesse Stone for the seventh time in this made-for-tv movie. While on-par with the installment I watched before (STONE COLD) in terms of production values and acting, the plot is as by-the-numbers as ever. Quite frankly, I found it boring and uninspired.
May 2, 2013
This might be my favorite of the series, and a perfect movie for a rainy evening. Dark, brooding, melancholy with the trademark Robert Parker dialogue, it's a treat for any viewer who's been diagnosed with clinical depression.
March 1, 2013
Over & Over About the Same Issues....
December 27, 2012
Graphic photography. Unvarnished truth. That is the history. That is why I highly recommend it.
October 10, 2012
I've seen this one too. 8/10
September 4, 2012
the film feels flat and just never rises to the heights from the films of the beginning. Tom Selleck even seems to be going through the motions on this one. The strength of the series was always in its character detail but this time its really treading water.
the story is poorly written but I feel the lack of direction is also a contributing factor. the real issue is in the lack of creativity and having Selleck sidelined from the police force. I really liked this series but the last two films have been really flat and not even close to the brilliance of the earlier work. Hopefully the series can be redeemed in the next addition
½ July 25, 2012
this made me sick to my stomach :(
½ May 28, 2012
Seventh in the series. The series does an excellent job in maintaining it's tone. The credit has to to the director who is able to get subtle performances out of some notoriously scene-chewing character actors. Filming in fall near Halifax also gives it a cool vibe, quite literally.
April 14, 2012
I loved it. Fits in very nicely with the previous movies of the series, and leaves me wanting more.