Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert Reviews

• Apr 21, 2019

Music was good, but second song was omitted and some song-lyrics were changed. To me, that's just like defacing a work of art - if it ain't broke, don't try fixing it. Overall, not bad, but not as good as the 1973 production.

• Feb 26, 2019

I don't often say this, but this time ... LISTEN TO THE CRITICS RATING. The audience score ... my guess a bunch of bigots from the south got on here and gave this productions a low mark because "Jesus" and many of the other members of the cast were played by, shall we say, a diverse assembly of actors. Lordy, lordy ... it must drive these types CRAZY to hear the powerhouse voices of John Legend, Norm Lewis, and most importantly -- Brandon Victor Dixon as Judas. THIS MAN IS GLORIOUS. Easily the best voice I have heard ... maybe EVER. Also, the production was gorgeous ... lighting, sets, pacing ... everything was spectacular. If you are at all inclined towards enjoying all levels of musicals, orchestras, choirs, or opera ... you will love this. If you like country music ... go elsewhere.

• Oct 23, 2018

One of the most talented casts to ever perform this production that I have seen. The costumes and choreography were amazing. The integration of musicians into the performing ensemble was very cool. Negatives include prompted audience reactions that felt forced and unnatural. The stage set looks like Rent and Stomp had an ugly baby.

• Aug 18, 2018

Excellent vocals, exhilarating production.

Excellent vocals, exhilarating production.

• Aug 02, 2018

A great and diverse cast brings up life to the revival of a classical with powerful musical numbers.

• Jul 19, 2018

Why the audience it's screaming all THE TIME? iT'S SO STUPID and annoying...

Why the audience it's screaming all THE TIME? iT'S SO STUPID and annoying...

• Jul 13, 2018

I was really looking forward to it, being a huge fan of the original. (Enjoyed that I could still remember most of the words - they followed the original closely there).I loved the idea of John Legend playing Christ as well as his voice driving the production. I loved the start of it with spray painting. The setting was super and transformed easily. The use of the audience was brilliant. But I did not find near the passion or raw intensity I remember from the original. I felt that both Legend's acting and singing fell short. Not much acting as much as posing. No intensity or passion on high or low notes. Christ seemed like a narcissist (which was part of the point we unquestioned celebrity) .. soaking up adoration but ..sulking.. at the lack of it. The mob on the stage marching chaotically back and forth across the stage got old. Mary was good but I couldn't shake the feeling it was the actress who played the wife (Peg?) on Married with Children and the performance of I Don't Know How to Love Him was a B+. It was fun to see it again with some updating but I personally felt it missed some opportunities again in intensity in the singing. For me, the guy (Dixon?) who played Judas was a high point.. But Ben Vereen's was insane and crazy memorable. I give it a B / B- .

• Jun 25, 2018

I'm an atheist and I really enjoyed the movie, I loved the art and the talent that went into it, it seems so genuine, not unrealistic and staged as Christian productions tend to be.

• Jun 05, 2018

The music was fabulous as usual. My one complaint is its difficult to do a modern version of something of which the words are mostly locked in time 2,000 years ago. But very enjoyable.

• Apr 15, 2018

Exceptional performance of one of my favorite musicals!

Exceptional performance of one of my favorite musicals!