Jesus Henry Christ - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jesus Henry Christ Reviews

January 10, 2016
a funny black comedy that writer/director Dennis Lee gets right on the money.
September 16, 2015
Imagine watching a Wes Anderson movie, except that every five minutes, someone screams in your ear, and switches to another movie before you can say "WTF?!?"
September 10, 2015
Funny, but not hilarious. Sweet, but not sickening. A bit and of a gem and worth your time.
March 29, 2015
A delightful, artful, and thoroughly entertaining expose on the power of genetics to influence man, humor, and good film making. Unlike most critics, I loved it and found it neither over wrought or improbable, but what the fuck would I know about the topic, I'm just a doctor of genetics.
March 19, 2015
Pretty good indie film about a child who remembers everything. Quite funny.
½ March 15, 2015
Me gustó, por momentos tiene algunas cosas pedorras pero en general esta buena y tiene su encanto
February 19, 2015
I do not understand why this movie is getting so much hate! It wasn't the best movie ever but it definitely isn't deserving of what people are saying about it.
February 3, 2015
Cute, funny, quirky movie. Plus I love Toni Collette. Definitely check it out if you have Netflix.
August 22, 2014
This movie is really WTF? It is an ok movie.
½ July 5, 2014
Watching Jesus Henry Christ sometimes feels like being trapped in a building with a faulty fire alarm. I say SKIP IT!!!
May 22, 2014
An enjoyable indie film
½ April 5, 2014
Too quirky for its own good, as though it's simply trying too hard to fit into a specific indie clique.
½ March 16, 2014
With the actors listed (Michael Sheen and Toni Collette) I thought this was going to be okay but it was shockingly awful and I would never recommend the pain I suffered from watching this dire attempt of a movie
½ March 14, 2014
Well look at that, I actually really enjoyed this movie ! I was however in good company at the time so perhaps that played into it.
½ January 22, 2014
Entertaining. Think there was a lot that got cut out that night have been vital to the story line.
January 6, 2014
We loved this. Critics didn't. But who cares what critics think.
January 5, 2014
Whilst the idea behind the film had great promise, watching the film feels like a weak Wes Anderson imitation. The strong cast is let down by the quirky for quirky's sake feel of the movie which is unfortunate as underneath all the Anderson homage is a sweet story and sympathetic characters.
½ December 23, 2013
It was rather quirky and I loved the unique storytelling, even though it may not have been that orginal, I still liked how ambitious the film intended to be. Certainly the acting wasn't at it's best, but I did had a few laughs from it.
½ November 12, 2013
Pretentious. You'd think for a movie about a "genius", there wouldn't be so many huge plotholes. The characters are tired and boring. The entire last 1/3 of the movie could be cut outright without losing anything.
November 5, 2013
If there was ever a film that was trying too hard, it would be "Jesus Henry Christ." It's this little indie darling that tries to examine the bonds of families and what makes up a family as well. It's pretty quirky which is its detriment. The beginning part of the film is probably the quirkiest with the most black comedy. It deals with his mother's (Colette) childhood, which is littered with members of her immediate family dying for different reasons, whether it be death by fire, accidental shooting, AIDS, or car wrecks, they're all in a long line. She's left with her father, who turns out to be a pretty unlikable and bland character. That's not an uncommon reaction to other characters as well. The film starts off thoughtful, looking into the psyche of Henry (Spevack), who turns out to be a child genius, and his mother, who is a left-wing working woman. Then it quickly devolves. There's a talking, one week old baby (completely implausible), the meeting of his biological father, Slavkin (Sheen), who meets his biological mother, and then Henry meets his sister, Audrey (Weinstein), who is beyond wicked. First she's a loner, what with her father writing a book about her, which is, by the way, a very cruel and unusual punishment. What the book actually contains is vague, and the impact of his work on his daughter really isn't evident, even in the telling last moments of the film. Weinstein has all the trappings of a sardonic teenaged muse, but she acts like an abused housewife a la Martha via George. The entire film gets very convoluted and vague half-way through, and instead of developing insight into familiar relations, it devolves into anarchy. Henry's intellect falls by the wayside, Slavkin comes off like an evil mastermind, and his mother loses all personality until she's basically forgotten. It started off so fresh and funny, and then it writes itself into a corner until we're left with nothing entertaining or insightful.