Jesus' Son - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jesus' Son Reviews

½ May 17, 2015
Somehow this quirky and magical little film has been forgotten. A great movie.
½ March 11, 2015
What a trip inside of a trip wrapped in a riddle and filled with bunnies ;) SAW IT.
½ November 12, 2014
½ October 22, 2014
Very surprised I'd never seen this before. If I'd even heard of it, I didn't remember. Super impressive cast featuring Billy Crudup, Samantha Morton, Michael Shannon, Denis Leary, Jack Black, Dennis Hopper, and Holly Hunter. RIYL: Arizona Dream, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Chappaqua.
June 22, 2013
This movie an 81%? Why? In fact that is my question as to why this movie was even made. The subject of a loser drifting through his life without much rhyme or reason and having not much real difference in his reason for living or focus when he gives up drugs as before doesn't make much sense to me. And why should we care? He doesn't . A poor excuse for a movie.
½ February 1, 2013
I've read Jesus' Son and usually I really enjoy seeing adaptations but this movie didn't really do it for me. It's just one of those books that I would rather leave in my imagination.
½ January 28, 2013
A terrific--if extremely outlandish--story, backed up with an impeccably loveable performance from Billy Crudup, Jesus' Son is nothing short of an indie classic.
January 22, 2013
Oh, FH... Funny but depressing... and uplifting film.
December 18, 2012
One of those "phenomenal books with little to no hope of translating to film" scenarios...just like Cat in the Hat.
October 16, 2012
one of my personal favourites, highly underrated quirky comedy/drama with great performances from everyone
½ June 7, 2012
Funny, tragic, weird, and awesome. Not much else to say.
May 16, 2012
A wonderfully acted look at 1970's subculture. Being somewhat familiar with the source material I was surprised how faithfully this adaptation kept the spirit of the short stories.
May 13, 2012
one of my favorite Jack Black roles. great movie.
½ May 1, 2012
This film is just terrific. Billy Crudup is amazing, Samantha Morton transcendent, Denis Leary wonderful and what can you say about Jack Black. Simply the best thing JB has ever done!
April 26, 2012
This is so blissfully funny in the face of depressing drug abuse of an adorably daft character. I loved this! Billy Crudup and Jack Black were spot on!
April 10, 2012
wonderful film adaptation of denis johnson's novel
April 1, 2012
There is a price to be paid for dreaming.

The Story: A drug addled man wanders through life, meeting a slew of interesting people along the way. It doesn't really go too far too fast, and it slows down towards the end of the film, but it's got a strong script that makes up for any flaws that the film might have. It's doesn't have the greatest cinematography, but it's got a good gritty style that really pulls you in and makes you feel like you're a part of this mans life. Take all that, and throw in some genuinely funny moments, and some genuinely heartbreaking moments and you're guaranteed to be entertained.

The Cast: Billy Crudup, Samantha Morton... Billy Crudup is FH, he's the drug addled young man mentioned above. He's a loveable character in that he's got a great child like quality that really makes you feel for him. He gives a great performance here, you'll be hanging on his every word from the second you hear his voice. He's like a good version of Ashton Kutcher, seriously watch this film and tell me you don't see Ashton Kutcher if he was a slightly better actor. Samantha Morton is Michelle, she's the love of FH's life, and the girl who leads him into his addiction to drugs. Her story is tragic enough to break anyone's heart, and her performance strong, but she's still not quite as memorable FH.

One to Five Scale: 5

The last 45 minutes or so moves kind of slowly, but the strong script and amazing performances make this one a true gem. If you pass on this one than you're making a big mistake.

Tyler
March 6, 2012
Billy Crudup makes Jesus' Son an incredible journey. He really takes the form of the main character FH. Maclean doesn't have to take much time in introducing his character because we get a feel for him really quickly. The guy is pretty stupid. Everyone calls him fuckhead. It doesn't matter, because Crudup's performance makes the entire film compelling. From the beginning we know he can't be too bright because he has botched the telling of his story. He went way too far in the story, thinking we would understand, then takes us back a ton so we get the picture. He first has to introduce us to Michelle. For some reason along the way, he thinks it's important to explain his two friends that were with him and the deaf guy in the car. I guess it's semi-important, considering without them he would have never met Michelle, and he would have never become a drug addict. When he wakes up in the morning with her for the first time, she asks if he has seen anyone shoot up before as she's preparing her drugs. He says no and continues making a bowl of cereal. It's all downhill from there. Following the life of FH without much structure was definitely a good choice. We basically see him jump from place to place. Every time he leaves somewhere it's because he screwed up. The man is having an existential crisis, but instead of discovering what his life needs, he keeps filling it up with pointless drugs. There are so many great supporting actors in the film as well. We have Michael Shannon as the guy who kills Michelle's boyfriend (and doesn't seem too bright). He just shoots him and is completely calm, like nothing really happened. Man, I would have loved to follow him a bit longer. But I guess what we saw would have been it for his character; the rest would have been repetitive. Denis Leary plays a guy who steals copper from his salvaged house so that he can buy drugs and alcohol (and the drugs end up killing him and almost killing FH if it wasn't for Michelle). Jack Black plays an orderly that is on so many drugs he screws up by taking the blade out of a guy's eye. The best part of this was when FH accidentally smooshes the rabbits. And then we have Dennis Hopper in rehab who talks about getting shot by his wives. Lastly (and least importantly) is Holly Hunter, who can't pin down a love that wont die. Upon meeting all these people, you would think that FH would discover himself and what he needs. But he just seems to get more lost. His brain doesn't function like ours; he doesn't always learn from his mistakes. Instead, he tries to form his life in a way that he can keep living the way he does without harming anyone else. He's got a good heart. He wants to do good. We hope he will find out the secret he doesn't know he's searching for.