Jimmy P. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jimmy P. Reviews

½ June 15, 2016
Very flat and slow-moving, but another solid performance from Del Toro.
½ December 1, 2015
This film was a real adventure of discovery. No flashy romances, no bombings, just something really close to reality. Like a walk in unknown woods. A curve here reveals a rock, a crevasse, a brook, a bear... I found the whole very pleasant, touching at times, hurtful. I was interested at what could be revealed and the pace was very pleasant. The filming was very quick relatively and reminds us the method of Clint Eastwood. All the characters were well rendered. I loved that they were all doing the best they could, where prejudices were few and understanding was their goal. The dvd extras were delightful as well. A native story well rendered that is not about cruelty, bashing or anything too despicable to hate one group or another, just the contrary.
December 17, 2014
Nothing wrong with the acting ...just , to long , boring after an hour or so...
October 26, 2014
good. just not quite enough substance.
½ September 2, 2014
A fascinating cross-cultural experiment that eventually runs itself into the ground.
½ August 24, 2014
Biografico. Da una storia vera.
MANUGINO
July 8, 2014
Slightly mentally non-decolonized.

Good Film! A worthwhile film but a little odd insofar as it under emphasizes the ethnocultural forces in the characters in favor of a "special friendship" (in a universalized way) despite the fact that it is the decultured nature of American psychiatry which was at the root of doctors' inability to help Jimmy in the first place. Also couldn't stand the way a couple of actors who think that acting means being as anxious and/or intense as possible in every scene. Jimmy P is enlightening about the psychic damage that happens when cultural and ethnic peoples are punished for who they are and made to ape other cultures to become accepted.

A Native American Veteran suffering from a series of psychological issues develops a deeply powerful friendship with his progressive French psychoanalyst as they discover and attempt to understand the source of his illness.
March 2, 2014
It's a fascinating true-life story that would seem more than capable of making the direct translation to film, but unfortunately Arnauld Desplechin doesn't quite grab the bull by the horns. While the film certainly works as an authentic period piece, and Mathieu Amalric and Benicio Del Toro capably handle their respective roles as doctor and patient, it's just the film's narrative is meandering and messy, and ultimately doesn't add up too much. Those dying to see a half-way decent art house release amidst the current movie dry season could do a lot worse than this, but I figure most other people would be better off just saving their money.
February 15, 2014
Confusing, ponderous, a waste of time.
February 15, 2014
We enjoyed the ability of a director to have intimacy in a movie. And no noise...
January 19, 2014
A true life events that many War Veterans have to live with, not by choice but by honorable service to our Country; we Veterans sacrifice our well being in general to keep our way of live, to protect our family and our citizens from the twisted and oppressive nature of religious and plain crazy dogmas of radical groups. Duty, Honor, Country. Death before Dishonor!
October 11, 2013
The true story of a psychologically sick native American veteran analyzed by a Romanian-French psychologist. In other words, the invention of the "ethnopsychatry". I reckon it was interesting but too long and the absence of climax made the movie a bit boring.
September 13, 2013
This is a good film but very slow & formal. Both lead actors are talented & demonstrate some serious acting shops here but the film feels a little too straight forward & stretched. Deserves a look for sure but maybe only on TV.