Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade Reviews

• Feb 19, 2019

Absolutely wonderful movie. I live the writing, the art, the mood . It was a thoroughly enjoyable watch, with my only complaint being a desire for a little action in the middle of the movie.

• Jan 09, 2019

Definitely worth watching, though it will leave you alone at the end. Which acts a double-edged sword for the movie itself.

• Jul 15, 2018

Beautifully animated and full of interesting imagery and symbolism (the subtle score is perfect too, really adding to the atmosphere), 'Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade' is a melancholic film that is, in many ways, quite poignant. It starts out revolving around PTSD and a soldier who begins to question everything that he believes when a young girl blows herself up right in front of him. Unfortunately, it tries to stretch its already incredibly thin premise across a long running time and then, just when you think it should be going somewhere, invalidates everything up until that point with a particular revelation. That's not to say the change in direction is bad, per se, but it belongs to another film, one that hadn't just spent over an hour saying something completely different. The characters aren't very well written, either, and have little depth or back story; it fails to explain their motivations and make them feel like people that we should care about. Basically, it looks great with the armoured-soldier design being particularly striking -- iconic, even -- and it's impressively poetic in places, but ultimately, it doesn't quite work.

• Jun 08, 2018

From what i've watched, this ain't your average anime with heavy drama, over exaggerated scenes and dialogues. I say that this movie is more of the serious, realistic and the intellectual type as comparing it to an average anime movie/serial. Even though a majority of the movie is dialogue, the action scenes in it are stunning and seemed to be as if it was depicting the real thing. I'm not a die hard anime fan, but his movie was brilliant. I doubt this would appeal to anyone who would prefer a typical anime, which this movie clearly wasn't.

• Dec 02, 2017

Felt flat and dry. From the trailer I was expecting more action. Opening was great but turned very bland and I checked out.

• Sep 29, 2017

Probably one of my top anime movies. It's slow and brooding pace is what makes me love it so much. It's more a political noir than an action movie. You have to pay attention to pick up all the little things. The main character isn't the one calling the shots (more like making the shots). We follow him as he deals with his feelings on who and what he is in the world. Little spurts of action and a small budding love interest keep things moving but never overshadow what is really happening. It's an amazing movie that is hard to describe in one review.

• Jul 20, 2017

IMO one of the better Anime movies of the 90s. Has a realism and surrealism that mesh well together, with each act being emotional and exciting. That said the story is solid and while technically the prequel to two (IMO inferior) live action films everything is unique and well thought out, very little needs to be filled in by the viewer. 9/11 -IGN

• Apr 06, 2017

Beautiful animation, great voice acting. Cons are that the main character is very muted and bland, side character can ramble from time to time.

• Feb 27, 2016

Perhaps the approach may be groundbreaking for an anime. But in live action, we've seen this many times before, and done much better. It may want to be a lot more than it is, but the forced symbolism is too much, and the historical backstory is too convoluted and presented dully.

• Mar 26, 2015

Haunting and depressing tale of wolves and the masks they wear.

Haunting and depressing tale of wolves and the masks they wear.