Jingi naki tatakai: Dairi senso (Battles Without Honor and Humanity: Proxy War) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jingi naki tatakai: Dairi senso (Battles Without Honor and Humanity: Proxy War) Reviews

½ November 20, 2016
The Battles without Honor & Humanity series becomes more convoluted and messy with Proxy War. The first half becomes increasingly difficult to follow, but the story starts to coalesce in the second half. This may be Fukasaku's attempt to artistically convey the complexity of underworld politics: Events escalate quickly and one person can't grasp it all or comprehend every element as it unfolds, and what you don't know can get you killed. The stakes feel real, and anyone can die at any moment in these movies. My favorite moment is the funeral at the end, in which a character's remains end up in the middle of the street and get run over--a very powerful image.
½ January 12, 2016
This third instalment in Kinji Fukasaku's Yakuza Papers series seems to take up where the first film (Battles without Honor & Humanity) left off, with barely an acknowledgement of the second film (Deadly Fight in Hiroshima). Maybe that's because many or most of the characters in the second film were dead by the end. Or perhaps the filmmakers wisely chose to place the cool Bunta Sugawara (playing Shozo Hirono again) at the center of the action - he's charismatic and his own man, despite declaring loyalty to his former boss the grovelling and untrustworthy Yamamori yet again. Indeed, no one really can be trusted in the yakuza world and there are plenty of double (and maybe triple) crosses here. In fact, as with the other two films that preceded it, most viewers of Proxy War will be hard pressed to keep the players straight. Suffice it to say that the Muraoka family merges with the Yamamori family but the Akashi family still dominates the Hiroshima scene - it looks like there isn't room for everybody and a battle begins. However, it must take place in the next film. So Proxy War is something of a transition piece, but it still has lots of style (and lots of blood) to keep viewers engaged.
GS
½ December 6, 2011
Liked the comparison of proxy wars between USA and USSR to that of Yakuza gangs by the narrator at the beginning. I thought the pointless violence might be turned down a notch in favor of a smart script focusing on inner politics of the Yakuza, which happened to some degree but not enough to make this a smart film. I loved the fact that Shozo and Yomomori played larger parts in this film than they did in "Deadly Fight in Hiroshima". Shozo's character by this film, the 3rd in the series, had grown considerably complex, which just added to the joy of watching the series and his life unfolding as a Yakuza. Uchida was a great character to add along with what his presence added to the story. Yomomori is one of the funniest and lamest crime bosses I have seen: he weeps when Matsunaga tries to defy him and says "Can't you see how I feel!"-just hilarious. Another nice touch was the camaraderie between Matsunaga and Hirono. The interaction between all the underbosses was great too. Nice ending as well here. The problem was that it was confusing at times and was more of a set up for Police Tactics.
October 28, 2011
The 3rd in the Battles Without Honor movie series find our protagonist Shozo Hirono in Hiroshima during 1960 (with the story having moved on from 1945 in the first movie) and he's done very well for himself - he is now head of his own little yakuza clan and friends with 3 more bosses of small clans. However it doesn't take long for suspicion and betrayal to rear it's ugly head when Hirono's previous boss Yamamori comes back on the scene after the head of Hiroshima's biggest yakuza family is bumped off and Yamamori takes over. Naturally his resentment of Hirono comes to the fore and he would be more than happy for somebody to take him out. Alliances are formed and broken as the streets of Hiroshima explode into all out wars with Hirono in the middle of it all.

Another very enjoyable entry and probably an improvement on the first movie (I will watch the 2nd movie in the series when I get a chance). The plot of this movie is very much like a chess game - bosses trying to make other bosses into making a mistake so they can take over Hiroshima's biggest clan. Trying to keep out of the situation at first but inevitably being forced to take sides is Hirono in the hope of deposing his hated enemy Yamamori. Bunta Sugawara is fantastic once more as the bad ass Hirono. You've got to feel sorry for his character. People he calls friends betrays him time after time. Director Kinji Fukasaku keeps us interested in the storyline with plenty of backstabbing, suspense and heavy violence. Fukasaku's vision of yakuza life is there's no such thing as loyalty - you can be friends with a rival clan one minute and the next you're plotting their downfall. The movie chugs along at a nice energetic pace so you're never bored watching it. The only problem with watching this movie is you want to know what happens next - nothing is resolved in the plot so I guess I'll have to watch the final 2 installments to find out the conclusion to the whole saga.
February 1, 2011
Honor, Violence, Loyalty and Betrayal. The world Yakuza is just too entertaining to ignore.
½ June 30, 2010
i enjoyed this but you really do need a program sometimes to figure out who's who and what's going on. alliances are formed and broken, deals are made and broken, etc. constant chaos in the relations between the yakuza members. it seems like all they do is squabble. and the fact that it has the air of a documentary it lacks the tension you feel in good drama.
December 20, 2009
Just as sweet and just as fun and just for everyone. Recommend for "The Godfather" fans.
½ November 18, 2009
Sets up a lot of things that I'm sure will go down in the next two films. Gotta love continuity.
June 9, 2009
Shit hits the fan again. Who will rule Hiroshima?
June 5, 2009
As a whole, this is slightly better than the confusing second part but because the ending is kind of a huge anticlimax, I was left really disappointed. Just when I thought I was going to see some grande finale - puff THE END came.
½ February 19, 2009
Yes, if you like the genre, you won't get disappointed!
½ August 25, 2008
Watch this all in one sitting. If you don't you'll be constantly rewinding trying to figure out the crazy tangled web these characters are enmeshed in.
½ June 19, 2008
The third film in director Fukasaku's epic Yakuza story is where the series really begins to pick up steam. (Not that the previous two pictures were weak in anyway).
February 3, 2008
Almost too complicated to follow at times, this is not the best entry in the series, but it sets up a lot of important plot.

The finale is pretty fucking intense though.

As always, Bunta Sugawara ranks among the greatest stone faced bad-asses ever. His tendency to beat people with the scabbard of a shirasaya... is awesome.
½ January 30, 2008
This end out were I was extremely interested in the films. Some big things happen during this film. I don't like the next two films as much.
½ December 3, 2007
The fun continues in part III! Now set in the 60s, larger and larger Yakuza families try to consolidate power. Alliances shift, mayhem ensues! Once again, Shozo Hirono tries to remain true to the Yakuza code. More mayhem ensues. And what mayhem! Also features everones favourite Sukeban girl, Reiko Ike.

Not for the squeamish or people who hate subtitles.
December 3, 2007
"3rd part of the serie brings some new content into the storyline but fails otherwise in the build up. Clearly a transition movie for upcoming climaxes."
November 29, 2007
Bunta Sugawara is back in the driver's seat as a far meaner protagonist than in the two previous films, readying himself for the proverbial shit to hit the proverbial fan. Fukasaku displays the blueprints for the epic gang war that is to follow in the fourth and fifth installments with clumsy, panicked violence that works to portray action packed kills sans the highly-stylized glory of mainstream cinema's interpretation of said kills.
½ November 1, 2007
This one's not quite as good as the first two, a few less shootouts, but it's still really cool. Sugawara has the whole intimidating badass swagger down giving him an air of quiet, plotting, intelligence. I have a feeling this one's jsut a build up as things get more and more complicated and loyalties continue to shift and break. As an added bonus, this one's got a bit part from the lovely Reiko Ike.