Jingi naki tatakai: Hiroshima shito hen(Battles Without Honor and Humanity: Deathmatch in Hiroshima) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jingi naki tatakai: Hiroshima shito hen(Battles Without Honor and Humanity: Deathmatch in Hiroshima) Reviews

September 3, 2015
The second film in Kinji Fukasaku's yakuza series is just as good as the first (Battles without Honor and Humanity), although it takes place on a smaller scale and with fewer central characters. Bunta Sugawara is back from the first film but he stays on the sidelines here, present apparently only to lend some continuity to the proceedings. In prison, Shozo Hirono (Bunta) meets small time hood Shoji Yamanaka (Kin'ya Kitaoji) who then takes center stage when he becomes a gun man for the Muraoka family and falls in love with the boss's niece. All seems to be going well until a rival gang led by insane Katsutoshi Otomo (played intensely by Sonny Chiba in one of his last films before international stardom as The Streetfighter) declares war on Muraoka. Yamanaka is a pawn in the proceedings and willingly goes to jail for the family...but then the betrayals begin. Bloody, chaotic, and with a hyperventilating lead performance from Kitaoji, the film keeps the tension cranked (but it is consequently less Shakespearean than its predecessor). Not for the squeamish.
December 21, 2011
Gran adicion a la saga. Menos caotica y sangrienta y se concentra en menos personajes. A pesar de que Bunta Sugawara vuelve a interpretar a Shozo Hirono, su rol es mas pequeño que en la original. Sonny Chiba y Meiko Kaji (Lady Snowblood) son una gran adicion al reparto.
GS
December 6, 2011
The second film in the Yakuza Papers series is not as good as the first because the violence and general shoot-em-up plot got a little tiresome at times. However, the style of the film , the soundtrack, the excellent editing, and Bunta Sugawara's presence as Shozo Hirono kept me engaged. I simply love Fukasaku's exciting pacing and continued experimentation with the camera. What keeps me wanting to watch more is the connections that freeze frames containing dates and names make between fiction and reality. A memorable scene is the killing of Tokimori with the envelope slipped halfway between the door, when he reaches for it, Shozo's man is signalled by the envelopes movement and he shoots Tokimori. I was not drawn into or interested in following Kinya Kitaoji as Shoji Yamanaka or Sonny Chiba as Katsutoshi Otomo compared to the first film where I was really glued to the screen watching Hirono, Sakai, and the pathetic Yomomouri. The love story between Yamanaka and Yasuko added a different feel to the film rather than it just being about sheer violence and murder, but after a while it turned contrived and formulaic. The highlights of this film were: Matsunaga and the increased involvement of the police.
½ June 28, 2011
My favorite gangster movies ever? Easy to feel that way after watching this second installment. Visual, bloody in the extreme, and refreshingly amoral, although the value of honor is explored throughout. Amoral in sense that narrative seems to map cause and effect without too much taking sides, or it feels that way. Nicely detached, let's say. The effect, a Genogram of post-war Yakuza retaliations; violent, reactive, vivid. Hugely entertaining if you like this sort of thing, not for the queasy, nice ratty early-70s look, way beyond Tarantino for blood and style, and even humor, who copped plenty from Fukasaku. This is a bit like Leone on speed. Has one of my favorite Sonny Chiba performances, way over-the-top and hilarious.
August 13, 2010
not intrested in horror movies at all.
½ May 17, 2010
part 2 of the yakuza saga was a bit better than the first in my opinion - mainly because we have a character, yamanaka (played by seizo fukumoto), to empathize with. but again, the same weaknesses the first movie had are here to: camerawork that is shaky and constantly moving and a plot fractured by really fast introductions of random yakuza members and a narrator who helps fast forward the story. sonny chiba and seizo fukumoto own this movie with their performances.
December 18, 2009
I don't know what to say, badass maybe. That's a good idea.
½ November 24, 2009
Expecting Shozo to settle his score with Boss Yamamori, we're instead introduced to... a tragic love story? With the chick from Lady Snowblood? And Sonny Chiba as a fucking crazy underboss that beats people with a bamboo stick?!

FUCK. YES. AGAIN.
½ June 9, 2009
Possibly the weakest entry in The Yakuza Papers. It's sets up Episode 3 nicely, but really has no ending of its own.
April 8, 2009
Slightly disappointing after the energic first part.
½ February 14, 2009
Not quite as good as the first one in the series, but it sure is well worth a look! When you get treated with Chiba and Bunta Sugawara, well - not much to complain about is there?!
October 5, 2008
Bunta Sugawara's personage staat in dit tweede deel aan de zijlijn, want we volgen hier het tragische verhaal van ene Yamanaka, een yakuza die als schutter gebruikt en misbruikt wordt tijdens de strijd om de controle over Hiroshima tussen de Yakuzaclans. Bijrollen voor Meiko Kaji en vooral Sonny Chiba als een uit 100% pure testosteron opgetrokken yakuza. Volop opwindende actie en snauwende gangsters, en alles leidt naar een fantastisch sfeervol laatste kwartier.
½ August 25, 2008
I wasn't wild about the change in direction at first with the addition of Yamanaka and the Muraoka family,but I was pulled in. The ending is a lot like that of Barry Lyndon and just as good.
June 19, 2008
The second film in director Fukasaku's epic Yakuza series.
Just as exciting, violent, confusing yet compulsively watchable as it's predecessor.
DrBenway
April 27, 2008
More double crossing as the series continues with a number of different families trying to stake their claim. Sonny Chiba was enjoyable as an angry underboss out to get what's his along the way. This one throws Meiko Kaji (Lady Snowblood) into a love story which fits right in and helps with character development.

Even though a lot of characters come and go, they're all strong and memorable. Any fan of the gangster genre should give Yakuza Papers a view.
½ April 14, 2008
Not as good as the first one but still good.
January 31, 2008
This is my favorite of the Yakuza Papers films.
½ January 30, 2008
This was probably my favorite movie out of the series after the first. Another must see. Just as yummy as the first
½ December 14, 2007
Less complicated... starring the great Sonny Chiba... other than that, it doesn't really stand up to the first film, in terms of writing, pacing, and even visuals.

That said, there are some genuinely well directed sequences, featuring excellent suspense... and insane action.

The Godfather? What's that. It's all about The Yakuza Papers!
½ December 3, 2007
Part II of the Yakuza Papers series--and it's even better!!! Now that all the main players are established, the series settles down and focuses on the character of Shozo Hirono, who tries to keep his integrity amid all the violence. Great cast, too--Sonny Chiba and the lovely Lady Snowblood/Prisoner Scorpion herself Meiko Kaji! EXTREMELY well made--apart from the occasional zoom, it looks like a film made 20 years later (even though it is set in the 1950s). The climax--filmed with grainy, high-speed film on the nighttime streets--is wonderful.