Jingi naki tatakai: Kanketsu-hen (Battles Without Honor and Humanity 5: Final Episode) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jingi naki tatakai: Kanketsu-hen (Battles Without Honor and Humanity 5: Final Episode) Reviews

½ March 17, 2016
Yes, the final episode in the five-film Yakuza Papers series (aka Jingi Naki Tatakai) is called Final Episode. However, it is far from final, leaving things wide open for further yakuza actions in Hiroshima and Kure even as the older generation finally retires and lets the young upstarts have their way. As with the previous sequels (also all directed by Fukasaku), this one adds new characters to the plot (particularly Jo Shishido as a hot-head who doesn't want to follow the new corporate business methods of the family), who then interact with the characters that have been followed from earlier films. Only Bunta Sugiwara and Nobuo Kaneko seem to have made it through all five films alive. The typical pattern is for central characters to get offed, violently. All told, this was a complex, sometimes confusing (some say Shakesperean), always tense and very exciting set of films that I recommend for those willing to withstand the brutality.
½ December 6, 2011
By the end of the series, I still don't understand why they don't shoot once in the head instead of 10 shots to the body. Weird. On a better note, it is hilarious to see Hiroki Matsukata as yet another different character in the series. He's very watchable though and ends up delivering a solid performance. But Kinya Kitaoji, who was in the second film as Shoji Yamanaka, returns as a part of the Tensei coalition who tries to change the image of the yakuza in the public's eye. It doesn't work for me though because I associate him still as Yamanaka (who I wasn't drawn into either). The now famous Joe Shishido appears as Otomo, a yakuza leader who constantly snaps at everyone. Matsukata and Shishido do enough between themselves to create excitement until Ichioka (Matsukata's character) dies. By then things have build up to a point, that I care about what happens during the second half of the film. It is great that we have to wait to Shozo Hirono to come out of prison and into the action. And things get even more tense when he does. I was expecting a huge fight at the end, but was pleasantly surprised when one didn't happen. Instead we get a mature ending to a series that could have gotten really out of hand, and it did at times, but this final film brought everything together.
March 3, 2011
20 years of bloodshed ends. Hiroki Matsukata at his best.
August 10, 2010
it is a good film to wrap the series up. we see the main protagonist hirono shozo come full circle in the yakuza world.

it is a much tighter story and better tension in this final installment - unlike the 2nd, 3rd and 4th which seem to meander about through random events.
December 22, 2009
Imagine the last godfather film but with a much more tougher tone and depressing and bitter-sweet moment, subtle and yet never delicate.
November 18, 2009
In the last film of the five part epic, Final Episode deals less with the chaos and violence (it hasn't gone anywhere, though) and more about the changing yakuza world and the politics behind it.
½ June 9, 2009
One generation of Yakuza gang up their guns, only to realize that the younger generation have already begun new feuds and killing in masses.
September 3, 2008
A perfect ending to the series. The final scene with Hirono and Takeda (and the narrator) is a devastating summation.
June 19, 2008
The fifth and final film in Fukasaku's brilliant Yakuza film cycle, does end quietly or hopefully. If it had then it would have been an incredible disservice to the previous four pictures
February 3, 2008
Fantastic end to a series.
January 30, 2008
Not the end I had been hoping for (WHY DIDN'T YAMAMORI DIE!?!?!) but it has the most uncanny realistic feeling that I really don't care. This stellar use of what I feel to be an anti-climax for the series serves well. While this was my least favorite movies of the series, it is still great, and you must watch it.
December 4, 2007
As Battles Without Honor and Humanity's two leads retire from the Yakuza in the wake of mass bloodshed, Fukasaku demonstrates that violence will prevail (through the use of a murder involving young Yakuza) in spite of the retirement involving both the protagonists and the franchise. This endurance can also be said not only of Fukasaku's cinema to follow, but of cinema itself.
September 25, 2007
I would have loved for this film to be a big, bloody finale of revenge and action to bring some catharsis to the series, but Fukasaku realizes that anti-climax is much more appropriate for a series so concerned with anarchy and frustration. A fitting end, but still not the most satisfying.
½ August 17, 2007
Series comes full circle. Not only are certain actors re-used, certain themes and motifs continue to recur in this masterwork of anti-resolution. Since the Yakuza represent the pre-war mindset of Japan, the ultimate fates of these characters are quite fitting.
August 10, 2007
A nice wrap up to what is probably my new favorite crime series. The Yakuza struggle with maintaining their place in modern Japan.
July 16, 2007
The yakuza start going legit and the old guys retire. Unsatisfying ending to the series Hirono never gets revenge or comes to an understanding with Yamamori, we don't see his retirement, or find out how he lost his eye. All they had to do is have him missing his eye when his buddy visited him in jail and say "WTF happened to your eye, dude?" then he could explain.
½ June 3, 2007
This entire series is brilliant.