Jiro Dreams of Sushi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jiro Dreams of Sushi Reviews

January 2, 2016
An interesting doc. Was very upset to learn that an apprenticeship lasts 10 years... but the result looks worth it!
January 1, 2016
Yes, the documentary is about a chef making sushi, but it is so much more than that. It is about the concept of perfection and whether or not perfection is attainable. It is about teamwork, dedication, optimism, tradition, and family. The art of making sushi is tedious and unbelievably complex. This beautiful, mesmerizing documentary does the art justice. Even with that said, Jiro Ono is not just an artist; he is the master.
December 31, 2015
I've never had sushi before, but now I must.
December 13, 2015
A tired movie in a world tired of poor quality.
November 25, 2015
Loved this movie. It makes me inspired to get good at one thing that I can make progress at doing it better. Loved this movie.
November 3, 2015
Probably the single best food documentary of all time. It's usually difficult to convey concepts like flavor in a film format, but Jiro is more about the man then the food. Incredible and an absolute must watch!
October 20, 2015
Well I think Jiro is a megalomaniac like all great chefs. It was interesting though watching the documentary all about sushi, which I love. However overall it wasn't a very catchy documentary and it didn't even make me want to eat sushi.
Robert B.
½ October 3, 2015
Jiro Dreams of Sushi is, of course, about more than Jiro and sushi. It is about work, dedication, mastery, family, and (changing) Japan. There is much one can get out of this simple little film. However, as others have stated, the material feels stretched out (more appropriate for a one-hour special). Jiro tells of many things but does not really tell a story. That said, I would recommend it to the hard workers out there that could use a bit of inspiration and a sense that dedication does pay off.
September 30, 2015
Jiro is a sad sad man, who fails to give affirmation to his sons, BUT he is a master at what he does. The cinematography and the story make Jiro Dreams of Sushi an excellent documentary that is certainly worth a watch. It's almost as well made as Jiro's sushi!
August 31, 2015
Whoa! Sugoi! There's a unique vibe about this film that is remarkably likeable. I fell in love with the food, its history, and the people around it. A well prepared and served documentary. Kampai!
August 27, 2015
Dreams of perfection..
July 30, 2015
What a beautiful story of someone at the top of his craft. Excellent must see
July 29, 2015
I feel like this is gonna be another Tampopo. Which means, make sure you're fully fed and surrounded by good food before you pop the DVD in.
July 13, 2015
All I wanted to do after watching this movie was save up my money, get reservations, and blow 2000 on a trip to eat this sushi for 15 minutes.
June 16, 2015
Je suis tombà (C)e dessus par hasard et ça m'a intriguà (C). J'ai à (C)tà (C) complètement hypnotisà (C)e. Maintenant, j'ai faim!
June 15, 2015
Wonderful documentary about the world's greatest sushi chef. From his interesting life, to the making of the sushi itself, to the picking of fish in the market, Jiro's story is fascinating.

Sadly just watching this documentary makes you crave sushi
½ June 14, 2015
Fascinating look at food colliding with traditional Japanese culture.
June 12, 2015
Diving into the art of Jiro's perfect craft, you're left mesmerized with every flick of a fish. You walk away with a deeper respect for the cuisine, and a greater understanding of the Japanese culture. Be warned: you're left starving at the end of the film and it seems the only way you can be satiated is with a $350 sushi meal prepared by the 90 year old Japanese National Treasure.
June 4, 2015
What a perfect movie. Beautiful and inspiring.
½ June 1, 2015
An amazing and inspirational story behind true passion for your work. Now I'm hungry!