Jiro Dreams of Sushi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jiro Dreams of Sushi Reviews

½ June 16, 2016
Al terminar de verla dan ganas de irte a vivir a Japón en el acto.
June 7, 2016
From the makers of the Netflix show Chef's table what a brilliant documentary!
May 12, 2016
Great Japanese documentary on 3 star Michelin Sushi Chef Jiro. Now I'm off to Kobe's...
May 7, 2016
A detailed and inspired look at one of Sushi's icons. It's amazing how many times we have referenced this movie after seeing it. In a long line of "food movies", this one thoroughly tells a story and leaves you with a sincere appreciation for Jiro's culinary art.
April 23, 2016
I don't really care about sushi. I don't think I've ever eaten it and I don't intend to anytime soon. You know who does care about sushi though? Jiro. The dude dreams about the stuff, ya know?

A very affectionate and sweet look at at a group of people who make sushi for a living. Their care and attention to the process is admirable and entirely deserving of this film. It certainly warms the heart and knowing that, in 2016, ole' Jiro is still going at the ripe age of 90, only adds to that.

It doesn't meander along too much thanks to its fair runtime and it offers more than enough of the human element to make it appealing to those who aren't solely interested in the specifics of sushi making.

I still don't really care about sushi but I care about this film.
½ April 12, 2016
"Jiro Dreams of Sushi" is a tribute to the art form of sushi. At the onset of this film, it is hard to imagine any meal that could be worth $240. But by the end, you will be ready to hop on a plane to Tokyo and pay your $240 to experience the artwork of this master sushi chef. This documentary is great because it is part biography and part food catalogue. In fact, this film was originally intended to highlight a diverse group of sushi chefs with different styles. However, when director David Gelb experienced visited Jiro's Michelin three-star restaurant, he realized that the sushi was beyond anything else that he had ever tried and that Jiro was a compelling character that deserved his own story. You will learn so much about sushi during this documentary and will be making plans with friends for a sushi date before the end of the film. I was particularly interested in the main character's routine to get the best ingredients from the fish market and the size of the enormous tuna. The sushi that this man crafts in his 10-seat restaurant is absolutely beautiful. In addition to Jiro's high standards for fish and rice, you will also see his high standards for his apprentices. As he mentions, his front of the house part of the process is only 5% of the final product and the true quality of the experience stems from his team behind the scenes. It is also interesting to see how his passion rubbed off on his two sons, one of which opened his own sushi restaurant and the other who will succeed his father in running the flagship restaurant someday (even though he is already 50-years-old). "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" is a unique documentary, the likes of which we have never seen, as it combines a historical look at the development of sushi with a cooking tutorial and an expose on the life and career of Jiro Ono.
½ April 10, 2016
A beautiful and interesting documentary, Jiro Dreams of Sushi is a great documentary that is able to make you like its subject even if you don't eat sushi or don't know who he is.
½ April 2, 2016
Will make you want to dig deep into what you are passionate about. Seriously passionate.
February 10, 2016
I'm a huge food doc fan, so this may have suffered from my breadth of viewing history. It had huge buzz when released. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the story of this family. I want to go and eat at both restaurants!!
½ January 31, 2016
An excellent character study of a man who has invested most of his life into a singular and very specific craft and how that passion affects those closest to him.

Jiro Ono the man, is frail and singularly focused on providing what could be described as a succulent gift in every single bite his restaurants serves to customers. As the legend, he is arguably the world's greatest sushi chef.

This documentary explorers both the legend and peaks at the man behind it, giving us a full treat of one of Japan's culinary greats.

Worth watching. Especially if you love cooking.
½ January 22, 2016
The documentary is as artistic as the sushi being made.
January 17, 2016
An incredible film about more than just sushi, but about a man and the dynasty and legacy that he built for himself through sheer hard work and dedication.
January 2, 2016
An interesting doc. Was very upset to learn that an apprenticeship lasts 10 years... but the result looks worth it!
January 1, 2016
Yes, the documentary is about a chef making sushi, but it is so much more than that. It is about the concept of perfection and whether or not perfection is attainable. It is about teamwork, dedication, optimism, tradition, and family. The art of making sushi is tedious and unbelievably complex. This beautiful, mesmerizing documentary does the art justice. Even with that said, Jiro Ono is not just an artist; he is the master.
December 31, 2015
I've never had sushi before, but now I must.
December 13, 2015
A tired movie in a world tired of poor quality.
November 25, 2015
Loved this movie. It makes me inspired to get good at one thing that I can make progress at doing it better. Loved this movie.
November 3, 2015
Probably the single best food documentary of all time. It's usually difficult to convey concepts like flavor in a film format, but Jiro is more about the man then the food. Incredible and an absolute must watch!
October 20, 2015
Well I think Jiro is a megalomaniac like all great chefs. It was interesting though watching the documentary all about sushi, which I love. However overall it wasn't a very catchy documentary and it didn't even make me want to eat sushi.