Joe Gould's Secret - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joe Gould's Secret Reviews

January 28, 2014
I enjoyed watching this movie that is based on a true story. Interesting, and sad.
September 22, 2012
A hidden gem this one.
August 9, 2012
One of those nice little films like Unstrung Heroes and (also by Tucci) Big Night, that appreciative fans remember and revere, but film criticism in general has shrugged off in favor of bigger, more successful indie hits. Get a copy and watch. You'll see that great films don't have to be Great with a capital G.
May 6, 2012
Literally waited 10 years to watch this movie because I don't believe it was ever released on VHS when I first wanted to watch it and although it has been saved for years in my Netflix queue as a DVD, it never ever was available in the "currently available" queue. I got tired of waiting so I upgraded my Netflix account to streaming and was able to watch it that way! The entire cast was fabulous, especially Ian Holm and Stanley Tucci (who also directed the film). Holm should have been nominated for acting awards in this role, but sadly he wasn't. Story and screenplay excellent. Guess it was worth the 10-year wait!
½ March 24, 2012
Kind of fascinating. But also kind of falls short.
½ March 2, 2012
Tucci has crafted a poignant remembrance of a bygone era, and a touching examination of the responsibilities of creativity. A vivid double portrait of the artistic sensibility in its many weathers -- expressed by two fine actors clearly engaged in a labor of love.
February 16, 2010
Good on you Stanley Tucci. You are as good a director as you are a performer. What a delightful tale.
November 17, 2009
An incredibly moving film about a complex character.
½ October 25, 2009
The phrase 'labor of love' gets bandied around a bit when describing movies, but watching this character study, directed and co-starring Stanley Tucci, based on a pair of essays by New Yorker writer Joe Mitchell. As social history, the film does an excellent job capturing the flavor of New York City of the 1940's, a city that probably no longer exists--and, in 2009, a publishing culture that must seem like a distant dream. The meat of the film is in the relationship between Tucci's Mitchell, who's looking for a story, and Ian Holm's Joe Gould, a ragged and erratic self-proclaimed writer who's putting together an 'Oral History of the World' and fascinates Mitchell---Holm has the more showy of the two roles, and it's a delight to watch him as a writer struggling to realize a dream that no-one else shares--Tucci has the quieter role, playing the straight man, but he does a good job of communicating the tides his Joe Mitchell feels caught between. A good supporting cast also includes Steve Martin, Susan Sarandon and Hope Davis.
½ January 2, 2009
Well, the only reason I watched this film was because Steve Martin was in it, but I was sorely disappointed by the size of his role. He is barely in this one at all.
The movie itself could not keep my attention. It had some interesting characters, but as a whole, the film was slow and I just didn't like it.
July 14, 2008
I love the works of Joe Mitchell and this is a faithful retelling of (if I'm not mistaken) Mitchell's last work (I think he quit writing after writing "Joe Gould's Secret").The period feel of the film is quite remarkable. I might need to bump this up in my Netflix que to rewatch.
½ February 20, 2008
Well-crafted period film with Stanley Tucci (as Joe Mitchell) and Ian Holm (as Joe Gould) that suffers from too much of one character and not enough of the other. A little Gould goes a long way. Both actors give fine performances and the film is rich in period detail, but Tucci (also directing) is a little too in love with his characters, making the film about 15 minutes longer than the material can support. A bit of a step back from Tucci's previous films.
December 11, 2007
Yeah this was pretty good. An awesome story told very well and the acting superb
½ October 6, 2007
sociological, thoughtful
August 3, 2007
such a lesser known film but one really worth a watch.
July 12, 2007
The story doesn't seem like it should be interesting--nevertheless, it is.
½ June 13, 2007
I wish this film wasn't such a secret
June 6, 2007
I'm a fan of Stanley Tucci and Ian Holm, so I had to see this... and was pleasantly impressed. I won't spoil it by telling you the secret. You'll have to watch it for yourself!
½ December 31, 2006
this is a true story! its one of the best dramas ever.