Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten Reviews

January 26, 2012
announcer: joe we gonna have your name on the screen would you like anyhting under your name
Joe Strummer: I like you to write punk rock warlord. warlord being one word

fave part when joe pissed off with the interviewer. a very protective mate :)
½ January 20, 2012
Excellent documentary on Joe Strummer of The Clash. It's sort of like a portrait of a talented musician, can't help but to be enthralled once you start watching it.
January 12, 2012
I think you would have to be a huge fan to enjoy this documentary film.
½ December 31, 2011
An honest story of my hero.
December 25, 2011
vrlo dobar doks o sjajnom ?ovjeku, ?ak mi ni bono ne smeta previe.
December 10, 2011
Recommended by Jimmy.
September 7, 2011
This was a wonderful and quite moving film of an amazing person taken from us far too soon. The only negative thing i would say is why did they have to interview that wanker Bono!
½ July 3, 2011
Joe Strummer is hands down my personal hero.
May 29, 2011
INCREDIBLE documentary, absolutely amazing. Enjoyed every second of this film.
April 21, 2011
I loved this doc because it did a good job of showing how Strummer differs from your average rock star (especially from that time period). A poet, activist, and tortured genius- Joe's lyrics and especially his delivery of said lyrics is enough to change ones' outlook on life itself.

This doc also did a great job of showing Joe's flaws (adolescent beginning, idealist towards the end) but especially over all else was his intelligence throughout these developments which seemed to always find a way to prevail.

Throughout the debauchery of all the stardom, Joe always seems to (at least try to) keep a good head on his shoulders, and the thing that sets him apart, his heart. This is what made the Clash so great; diverse in style, but with Joe-- punk rock with heart.

Great film. I love how they edited in parts of his old radio show; a very creative use of VO, allowing Joe to be our DJ throughout the doc.
April 10, 2011
I watched this Documentary the other day and I was interested by the whole story of Joe Strummer and I also thought his name sounded cool. but the story of this film is about the road of Joe Strummer and his career but it focuses more on his privacy and awkwardness which made him cool self . If you don't know ho is Joe Strummer his is the singer from the band The Clash. very deep thought and capturing moments in the biopic and it's sadly lovely with hope of a better future. At the end you sit there thinking about how life could be different if one thing is changed.
½ April 6, 2011
Awesome. Great footage and insights. Wish the Clash were still around.
½ April 5, 2011
Loved this film. Great portrait of the man and his vision.
March 7, 2011
A great tribute to a great artist. This is what music should be about. His is a voice that is sorely missed; I'm just glad it was heard.
½ March 5, 2011
Of course a documentary about Joe Strummer wouldn't be typical or boring - and while it verges on being almost too polished for its subject, its inventiveness seems on target. Manages to reveal Joe Strummer while keeping him at arm's length- much the way he preferred to be perceived, at a distance.
½ February 19, 2011
This doco by Julien Temple covers Joe Strummer's life from birth to death. I guess due to a lack of early footage to accompany the narative, there is a lot of generic clips and some cartoon work thrown in which is a little distracting. Some of the interviews were unnecessary (Anthony Kiedis, John Cusack, Johnny Depp) but overall I found this to be an insightful look at the life of Strummer and his legacy.
January 7, 2011
For as much as I love Joe Strummer, for as much as I love The Clash and for as informative as I found Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten, this documentary was a pretentious pile of shit about a seemingly unpretentious man. The archive and interviews with Strummer and people who worked with and I don't know, actually KNEW Strummer (like Mick Jones, Topper Headon, Jim Jarmusch, Steve Buscemi, etc) were cool, BUT... who's idea was the hobo camp-style interviews? There's a city behind them so I'm guessing they're not camping. And while we're on the subject of the interviews, why should I give a fuck what Johnny Depp has to say about The Clash? Or The Red Hot Chili Peppers or Bono? Oh, you saw The Clash once? Great, fuck off. And how about Matt Dillon and John Cusack? You hung out with Strummer once? AWESOME, now fuck off! At the same time its essential viewing for even the most fair-weather of Clash fans. There's just a lot of bullshit to wade through...
½ January 4, 2011
Como documento periodistico es invaluable, gran cantidad de material sobre el britanico nacido en Turquia Joe Graham, mas conocido como Joe Strummer, fundador, cantante y guitarrista de la gran banda "The Clash". Pero como documental es un fracaso, son dos horas continuas de entrevistas con algun material de conciertos pero la mayoria son solo monologos de amigos y admiradores.
Solo para entusiastas de la banda, de resto es para dormir seguro.
December 28, 2010
Excellent documentary on the life of Joe Strummer, frontman of The Clash. Doesn't just cover the Clash period, but growing up, lead-up to The Clash, and subsequent bands and life.

Interesting interviews with a rather varied bunch of celebrities, indicating Strummer and The Clash's influence. Some the interviews are a bit unnecessary, and are just padding, eg Johnny Depp and John Cusack. Most of the rest are insightful though - even Bono has something unpretentious and useful to say.

Great music, especially rare live footage of The Clash, and Strummer's other bands.

I guess you have to be a fan of The Clash, as I am, to appreciate this. If you are, well worth the watch.
½ December 26, 2010
For a definitive look at the Clash, the documentary Westway to the World is the one to see. But this oral history of Joe Strummer certainly has its heart in the right place, with a nice (perhaps overly sentimental) framing device. There are new interviews with nearly all of the key players in Strummer's story as well as many celebrity friends and fans. The movie gives a bit too much weight to his underwhelming Mescaleros-era music. But the fact that Strummer found renewed happiness late in his life is comforting to consider, and also provides a satisfying arc to the story.