John and Mary Reviews

• May 25, 2015

Time has not been kind to Peter Yates' John And Mary, but it still holds merit thanks to Hoffman and Farrow.

• Mar 25, 2013

Meh. Dustin Hoffman and Mia Farrow, on the heels of "Midnight Cowboy" and "Rosemary's Baby," are wasted in a dull, pretentious story about Farrow and Hoffman after a one-night-stand. Desperately trying to emulate French new wave, with the characters actually discussing Godard's "Weekend" at one point, director Peter Yates (on the heels of his own latest success "Bullitt") tells the morning after story through flashbacks, voice overs and unneeded jump cuts. The idea behind the film isn't bad, but it's the execution where the film falls apart. The main reason I wanted to watch this film was to see Mia Farrow in something else from her early career beside "Rosemary's Baby." I think her Daisy Buchanan in "The Great Gatsby" was the only other early role of her's I'd seen that wasn't a Woody Allen film. I suppose it's somewhat interesting to watch the film as a period piece, but it's not all that interesting and nowhere as smart as those involved believe it to be.

• Apr 24, 2011

On the heels of Mia Farrow's "Rosemary's Baby" & Dustin Hoffman's "Midnight Cowboy" (with Jon Voight) this story about two people who end up realizing they don't really know much about each other, is an awesome perspective. The point of view is so close to home it's actually scary. It's safe for the guys like me who like guy movies because there are no real 'chick flick' themes, plus i'm a big fan of both actors so that makes the 'medicine' go down even better. This is an interesting and entertaining film for those who have experienced similar situations as well as those who haven't. (4 out of 5 stars 9/2/2010 6:32 pm Eastern)

• Feb 27, 2011

Kind of like and un-funny Annie Hall that takes place (mostly) over a 24-hour period.

• Michael G Super Reviewer
    Nov 11, 2010

Still under the spell of a pixiesque Mia Farrow (Sinatra, you were a moron for letting her go...!) its damn near impossible for me to give anything resembling a subjective opinion of John and Mary, but I liked it. I can see why its not the movie brought up with you think of Dustin Hoffman or even Farrow's best work but director Peter Yates wonderfully (and somewhat confusingly) intercuts might haves and flashbacks with the present story. The voiceover thoughts were kind of dumb though. Hoffman's great in a quirky way and Farrow was an absolute doll. The story's nice and simple even if there are a few dopey and dated parts to it. John and Mary is a nice little jem that's definitely worth an hour and a half.

• Oct 11, 2010

A good rainy day flick...not too thoughtful, but genuine.

A good rainy day flick...not too thoughtful, but genuine.

• Sep 20, 2010

Basically an American Hollywood attempt at New Wave... and strangely, hey, it's OK. There's nothing amazing here, but both Hoffman and Farrow are real enough, even if they're both not particularly special. The ending is kind of bland fluff though.

• Conner R Super Reviewer
    Aug 25, 2010

I will say that Mia Farrow in this is amazing, easily one of her best performances and one of the most adorable characters. It's as if she channels the spirit of Audrey Hepburn with her. I really like the overall concept as well, it's a very interesting way about telling a love story. What really kept me from loving the movie was Dustin Hoffman's John. Not so much the acting but the character himself, he's just such a scumbag and poor excuse for a "good guy". Maybe that's what was trying to be accomplished, but it just seemed like he was the voice of the story. I'd still say this a great movie, it just doesn't have you rooting for the two to end up together.

• Aug 19, 2010

This was an interestingly put together film. I liked the twisted way that John and Mary's characters analyzed every move that the other made in their minds. One of my favorite scenes was the one where Mary came back to John's apartment after leaving something accidentally on purpose and John was thinking to himself that she came back so that he would invite her back in. I found it funny that John couldn't comprehend the idea that Mary, like himself, was completely satisfied w/casual and somewhat meaningless encounters w/strangers because she was a female. When he asked her why she did what she did she told him that she did it for the same reasons as him and he replied"It's different". I was pleased that these two wandering and wounded souls found solace in each others company in the end.

• Aug 10, 2010

I like Mia Farrow in this movie!!

I like Mia Farrow in this movie!!