John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars Reviews

• Jan 28, 2021

When I read on its Wiki that this movie had a cult following, I opened my mind and tried my best to join it. I appreciated the flashback-style storytelling structure and the heavy metal soundtrack was fantastic, but the acting felt uninspired, the dialogue corny, the action scenes contrived and the editing seemed sparse and lackadaisical. Most egregious was the pacing as it varied drastically from scene to scene - they started off giving expositional voiceover while simultaneously giving expositional superimposed text, all of it important information but only one could be focused upon at a time, but then slowed to a crawl with the extreme quantity of dialogue scenes. The movie felt like a series of scenes where each character explains a previous event to another with brief pauses for well-scored action sequences. A full-on disappointment.

• Nov 29, 2020

Dans la carrière de John Carpenter, il y a eu nombre de comédies, de divertissements purs. Mais aucun n'est au niveau d'hilarité de Ghosts of Mars, peut-être son film le plus désopilant assumé, le plus punk et le plus stupide. Créé comme une troisième aventure de Snake Plissken, Ghosts of Mars se retrouve être un remake d'Assaut situé sur Mars avec des têtes et des membres qui sautent, des gros riffs de guitare d'Anthrax à chaque scène d'action, Ice Cube, Natasha Henstridge et Jason Statham supplantés par Clea DuVall dans le rôle de la badass de service, des maquillages dignes du Hellfest, des décors à la Disneyland et surtout un ton qui est clair dès le départ. John Carpenter semble avoir fait ce film les deux majeurs en avant, encore plus qu'avant. Pour un soixantenaire, ça devrait être pathétique. Mais pour John Carpenter, ça donne un très bon moment.

• Oct 14, 2020

What can I say. It's mindbogglingly awful. The characters are bland. The CGI looks bad. The story isn't even half-baked. The editing is downright scattered. The bad guy is laughable. I saw this at the theater with a friend and we were both shocked at it. It's been almost twenty years and I caught it to give it one more shot and it's still awful. This one should've went to the dumpster fire and shouldn't have left. Quite awful.

• Aug 18, 2020

it's doom. like the game, but better than the Rock movie of doom. still not great.

• Jul 02, 2020

Unintentionally funny, thinly scripted and terribly acted.

Unintentionally funny, thinly scripted and terribly acted.

• Jun 04, 2020

I enjoy John carpenters work but this is not 1 of his best ones,This one is really enjoyable it has a lot of action mixed with a little bit of horror & comedy elements,a Definite watch

• Jan 12, 2020

I don't get why people hated this film so much- I've been watching this film since i was a little kid and i love it everytime. Yeah its kinda cheesy but fuck it- still a dope ass film that deserves a sequel

• Jan 05, 2020

The moral of the story is, when you're in the store looking for the 'Mars movie DVD' because you can't quite remember the title of the movie you actually want - and twenty years ago there were no smartphones to help get you out of trouble - make sure you actually get it right. I wanted 'Mission To Mars', but ended up with this. Ugh.

• Dec 30, 2019

A great movie! Watched it when I was younger and then again recently and still enjoyed it

• Dec 28, 2019

Ghosts of Mars is an awesome classic.

Ghosts of Mars is an awesome classic.