John Dies at the End - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

John Dies at the End Reviews

½ July 9, 2017
The charm of JDatE primarily comes from the way it's filmed. Almost every conversation is shot with the camera head-on with the speaking character (often lit from the bottom), who is looking a little past the camera. It creates a strange disconnect when a large portion of the time only one character is in frame. It helps develop the sense of awkwardness and uncertainty that the film strives to develop. The whole film feels surreal and keeps the viewer constantly asking themselves if what they're watching is even actually happening in the film itself.
This film is a riot from beginning to end, with joke after joke coming, constantly hitting the mark. It's immature humor (usually having to do with cursing or body parts) helps break the constant uncomfortable mood/feel being built on itself throughout the entire film. Main characters Dave and John are great, and share a very real-feeling camaraderie, though the same can't be said for many of the side characters who don't feel completely fleshed-out.
The fast-moving cinematography and overall feel of this film is reminiscent of what one might feel while watching The Matrix (1999), even down to both main characters [Dave/Neo] having the ability to know everything going on, but haven't fully realized how to use it, continuing their learning. The last 1/3rd of the film however is where the movie drops off. Everything is easy to play along with until the major sci-fi themes start to play into it. Though I wouldn't say the last third ruins it, by any means.
May 22, 2017
If you're familiar with the book, you'll know how bonkers this story was going to be. They did a good job of cutting out the unnecessary parts of the book to write the screenplay. I think if they would have had a bigger budget, certain things would have looked better. That was my main gripe.
½ April 6, 2017
A comedy horror that is neither comedic or horrible, I'll never know if john actually died at the end as it was binned after 13 mins
March 19, 2017
Smart, philosofical, psychological, fun, weird, crazy, bad effects on purpose. That is the perfect combo right there. Not for everyone and thats sad. If the most people were intelligent this would be one of the greatest films in history.
½ January 19, 2017
Whether or not you like zombie comedy horror gore, this movie will grip you from the beginning with it's fast pace and unexpected laughs. Inadvertently taking the 'soy sauce' lands John in time bending, parallel universe adventures. Great fun and an easy watch.
½ December 5, 2016
The complete mess of a plot tries at every cost to be a smart-ass comedy filled with an offbeat humor that, apart from a very few inspired moments, is simply embarrassing - as we can see, for instance, from an awful aracnicide joke in the movie's ridiculous last hour.
½ November 27, 2016
Those without an imagination need not apply.
November 14, 2016
Just the kind of quirky movie that I love
November 12, 2016
So weird. I the best way possible.
½ October 8, 2016
Hands down one of the worst films I've ever seen.
½ August 29, 2016
I read the book. the book was awesome. the movie kept most of the humor from the book, but of course, barley mirrored the story.
August 11, 2016
After watching this, I questioned everything, but mostly if what I watched made any sense. The best part was I didn't care. Must see for anyone who exists.
July 18, 2016
This movie is awesome!
July 17, 2016
The flippant nature of this sub-par movie detracts from any suspense or storytelling it could have had. It's also an unfortunate reminder of what happens when special effects go wrong.
½ July 14, 2016
John Dies at the End is too weird for some, but for those that love the direction the movie is taking, you will not be disappointed.
½ July 2, 2016
I know this movie was trying to be "different" but what it gave me was an idiotic story told as a jumbled way that just made this a mess overall.
June 24, 2016
Continues to go downhill for the entirety of the runtime.
May 29, 2016
A movie for the bro dog in all of us. A sufficient amount of blood and weirdness that I found thoroughly enjoyable. Sometimes you save another dimension and sometimes you don't. But dogs are always amazing.
May 20, 2016
Unexpectedly awesome. Considering it was made by Coscarelli I should not have been surprised.
½ May 9, 2016
Lots of ambition that ends up more mess than masterpiece.