John McEnroe: In the Realm of Perfection (L'empire de la perfection) Reviews

• Sep 26, 2019

JOHN MCENROE: IN THE REALM OF PERFECTION is dull which is a shame because it chronicles one of the most fascinating athletes of his time in one of his peak bad moods. Sadly, the material cobbled together might be more interesting to people who aren't fans of the sport for the way its shot. You learn nothing about the man or what leads up to the grand finale: the 1984 French Open Final. Far from perfect more aptly titled A film In the Realm of a Snoozefest. Final Score: 1.8/10

• Jun 10, 2019

gets a bit much with some of the commentary, I get it but jesus talk about pretentious. McEnroe is hilarious.

• Feb 03, 2019

A perfect example of a "documentary" without a solid story to tell. Snoozing voice over and far away from eloquent. A constant repetition of nonsense that takes us to a journey full of clay.

• Nov 28, 2018

Talk about over rated. As a rabid tennis fan and avid player in the 80's, I was glued to McEnroe's every move. This film does not well represent him. It is over the top and pretentious. If you are into gratifying this filmmakers ego watch away. If you want to learn about the man and tennis genius John McEnroe, go elsewhere.

• Sep 15, 2018

The film is not a film, it is a collection of games and teaching films with overlays of tedious commentary that does not move the story along In fact, there is no story.. John McEnroe is endlessly fascinating. This is not.

• Sep 04, 2018

The movie is a real mind bender. It isn't really about McEnroe, it's more about sport itself and how people cope and motivate. For me, it was a film about forgiving myself (being selfish about it) because I too rant and rave once in awhile on the tennis court, on the 4-wall handball court, hovering over the ping pong table ... just about any sport... because I'm a mini-McEnroe - I push myself physically and verbally but it's really not anger! It's just how I work. Nobody understands it and I didn't before I saw this film, but now I do. Thanks, Mr. Faraut, for your enlightening portrait of driven athletes. Actually, I saw it 3 days ago and I'm going again tonight with tennis-playing friends.