Johnny Be Good Reviews

• Apr 23, 2019

Amazing cast wasted on a horrifically bad movie.

Amazing cast wasted on a horrifically bad movie.

• Feb 28, 2019

I remember loving this movie as a kid. Being a fan of Anthony Micheal Hall, it was great to see him break out of the Nerd roles. I remember being surprised at how much he had changed physically since the last movie he was in before this Weird Science. Probably doesn't hold up now but I won't watch it again to keep my fond memories of it.

• Nov 01, 2018

80's humor, but there are a lot of classic lines. Not the greatest acting, but it's still entertaining. I can understand people hating the movie but I enjoyed it.

• Apr 18, 2018

Johnny Be Good is offensive in the way it’s constructed. For starters it’s almost like someone took all the scenes and shuffled them in a random order, because there’s no flow at all to the story. They had a way to write it with a logical arc for the main character, but instead they bounce around from one stupid set piece to another with no sensible progression. There isn’t a single beat of the movie that results from established character motivations. Not even one line is funny. The characters are obnoxious across the board. Characters change randomly with no justification. I hated everything about Johnny Be Good, and was even more offended because I could see the elements that could have led to a good movie. Instead they made this piece of crap. Avoid it at all costs.

• Mar 17, 2018

Stupid movie, yet still somehow feelgood, entertaining, and re-warchable

Stupid movie, yet still somehow feelgood, entertaining, and re-warchable

• Mar 11, 2018

Just a great bad eighties movie.

Just a great bad eighties movie.

• Jul 21, 2015

Holy steaming pile of trash. Johnny Be Good is really bad. Anthony Michael Hall had two films in the 80's that come to mind when it came to his attempt to escape the typecast role of the nerd. One was Out Of Bounds, which kind of worked, and the other is this, where he plays the jock type. However, his casting in this role is a big problem. Watching AMH in this role is like a guy trying to be somebody they're not. I suppose he gives his best shot at being a snarky jock football star, but no matter how you look at it, it's ill-suited and awkward. This is film is a comedy without the comedy, just tasteless humor or humor that is questionable at what it was really trying to do. You watch scenes, and sit there wondering "Was I suppose to laugh at this?" Johnny is an unlikeable character who has everything go his way and who acts sort of asshole-ish and cocky, and even his morale moments can't save his character. Robert Downey Jr. plays his most awkward role yet as the oddball friend who literally does NOTHING but spurt out odd phrases and bizarre stories that come off mentally absurd. Not even Paul Gleason can do enough, minus him smashing a water tank with his own hand which made me laugh. I get that the film exposes the absurdity of how far colleges will go to throw materialism at students to join their schools on football scholarships, but it amounts to nothing realistic and has no merit. It aims for laughs with some distasteful antics that go nowhere. I love 80's comedies, and I like AMH and Robert Downey Jr. (watch him in Back To School, plays a more likeable weirdo in that film), but this film was a stinker and could've killed his career. Stay away.

• Apr 15, 2015

The studio had to know this horse $hit wasn't going to get very far.

The studio had to know this horse $hit wasn't going to get very far.

• Mar 30, 2015

Entertaining and fun movie

Entertaining and fun movie

• Dec 04, 2014

Awful. Note able only for the film debut of Uma Thurman.

Awful. Note able only for the film debut of Uma Thurman.