Johnny Dangerously - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Johnny Dangerously Reviews

June 14, 2016
A man goes to work for a notorious gangster to pay off his mom's medical bills in this amusing black comedy. It's not for all tastes, but it does entertain.
½ February 27, 2016
Like the "Airplane" of Gangster movies, maybe a little less over the top, and definitely underrated. Michael Keaton is pretty much the perfect guy as the lead in this, not only is he a great comic actor, but he has that look that reminded me of a Paul Muni type. If you've seen those classic gangster flicks of the 30s, Amy Heckerling made this pretty good send up of them. It has a great cast in Keaton, Piscopo, Henner, even Boyle and DeVito are in there for good measure. The movie is pretty funny, in particular the "testicle educational film" is a pretty great bit. In my opinion, an underseen and underrated parody flick from the 80s.
November 10, 2015
"You farking sneaky bastidge!"
November 2, 2015
A funny, but perhaps too straightforward spoof of 20's-30's era gangsters, with a few inspired gags an a few standout performances, hampered by what seems like a messy script that is not quite sure how it wants to treat its characters.

It could have, I think, benefited from going full absurdist a la "Airplane!"
August 19, 2015
This is one of my favorite movies
½ July 31, 2015
Who cares what the critics though this was a GREAT movie. It's also INFINITELY QUOTABLE! I LOVED IT!
July 23, 2015
comedic wise, it hits the target a few time but mostly a big misfire
June 26, 2015
Another Michael Keaton classic!
June 6, 2015
It's a little uneven and comically flat.
May 29, 2015
Decent cornball comedy
May 29, 2015
Decent Cornball flick
May 13, 2015
79% on my Tomatometer.
½ April 13, 2015
There are some laugh out loud moments just not enough of the to off set all the poising.
March 21, 2015
a quickly forgettable crime satire
½ March 14, 2015
not terrible, but the pacing of the entire movie leaves the majority of the jokes falling flat.
March 6, 2015
Near-equal parts clever and stupid that I enjoy; the comedy itself is pretty uneven, but 'Johnny Dangerously' has enough moments -- certain lines of dialog, some memorable fargin characters, etc. -- that it merits a watch. Fans of Cagney and old gangster pictures (like me) probably will get a bit more fun out of it, too.
February 27, 2015
For those who don't know, Michael Keaton is imitating James Cagney and he does it too well! This great piece set in the 1930s had me rolling on the floor!
January 16, 2015
All I can think is : Michael Keaton is a genie! The rest of the movie is kind of a blur...
½ December 28, 2014
it's a goofy type movie but I liked it.
December 8, 2014
One of my favorite movies of all time.