Johnny Got His Gun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Johnny Got His Gun Reviews

½ June 19, 2013
A film that speaks on many levels. An anti war message mixed with optimism and pessimism. they truly don't make em like they used to. I feel the humanity of this picture. And the pain of war.
June 12, 2013
Quite a challenging, confronting anti war film that was the major inspiration for the hit song One by Metallica.

Dalton Trumbo (writer & director) really stuck a knife into the government & their agenda's within war.

Basically the story of a young man in WW1 who loses his all of his arms, legs & face in battle & the government still keep him alive. Left with his full conscious brain he struggles in every way.

It's a powerful film clearly made on a budget, but the subject matter is powerful & stays with you, surprisingly this film just came & went theatrically but is a must see anti war film....
½ May 27, 2013
This strange, brilliant and contemplative film is excellent. A psychological thriller it poses more questions than it answers. Mentally disturbing and provocative. Worth watching.
April 29, 2013
A unique vision, directed by Trumbo, writer of the same 1930's novel on which it is based, and a former blacklisted screenwriter because he had refused to testify before the HUAC in the late forties. This film is an enigmatic voyage through the dreams, recollections, memories and conversations with Jesus of a soldiers wounded in battle and left without arms, legs, ears, mouth, simply remaining conscious and unable to distinguish real life with imagination. Haunting anti war work, somewhat demanding, but nevertheless gripping, troubling and deeply engaging
February 3, 2013
Feel-Good-Movie-Alert!

No, seriously, I finished the film some hours ago and still feel sick when I look back to the experience.
It's devastating, and thoroughly unenjoyable to see a young man without any limbs, eyes, teeth or ears (thankfully, you don't actually get to see him, but only under bandages and sheets) suffer. He can't interact with anyone around him and can merely sense what's going on around him, and retreats into a world of dreams and memories (although it's hard for him to distinguish if he's awake or sleeping).

He recalls his last days with his sweetheart back at home, his childhood and his war memories and discusses faith with some kind of Jesus Christ incarnation.

Johnny Got His Gun combines the depressive morality of All Quiet on the Western Front with the devastating personal drama of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. If you're able to suffer through this almost unbearable movie you'll be rewarded with a new cinematic shock experience you won't find in the near future.
But that's exactly my main point of criticism as well. I have the feeling, that the film is too harsh and too brutal at moments. I guess only few can watch this film sincerely without being distracted from disgust, thus the film takes away some of its impact by itself.

Anyways, this is one of the most cruel and most effective anti-war films I've ever seen (although it hardly features any fight scenes) and as long as you don't have a weak stomach, I can only recommend you watching it.
January 23, 2013
If I ever get the verge to watch this semi-boring flick again I will just stick with the Metallica video.
December 17, 2012
Johnny Got His Gun is a very dark, depressing, and relevant film. Though some of the performances are slightly awkward.
October 27, 2012
An injured and bed-ridden World War I soldier who cannot speak uses morse code to plead with medical staff to kill him. Interesting plot but more effective when seen as clips in Metallica's "One" video.
½ September 29, 2012
Really, really bad, on every level but mainly the acting.
September 18, 2012
this is one of three movies bottoms made in 1971-not bad 4 a newomer
½ September 3, 2012
Ultimate Human War Story--Shell Shocking!!
April 29, 2012
This film has disturbing content at times, deliberately so. Unfortunately, it does ramble in places, and there are parts where despite the darkness, it tips into corny rather than tragic.
½ April 9, 2012
This is the movie that Metallica used heavily in their video clip for "One". Unfortunately because of the video clip I'd seen all of this before...
April 5, 2012
have to read the book so yea
March 25, 2012
I've read the book at least 5 times and watched the movie too many times to count. It's in my top 5 of favorite books/films
½ March 23, 2012
The story is good, really good...the acting is shit, really shit. It starts out really horrible, with lousy acting and bad editing but slowly progresses and you get sucked into the stor, but boy is it bad acting. But the story is really good and it keeps the movie going and keeps your interest, and when it's all those bad parts, you can just take a moment and think about being blind, deaf, paralyzed and unable to communicate. I'm sure it was a good book, and the author should stick to books, because movies, he can - not.
March 19, 2012
March 8, 2012
Truly harrowing and deeply disturbing. Cuts directly to the core.
February 26, 2012
Best film ever, powerful touching and just amazing
February 20, 2012
Extremely moving, touching, eerie, bizarre, disconcerting and thought-provoking. This movie is on my top-10 of all-time. What great cinema is in my opinion.