Johns Reviews

• Mar 14, 2012

This movie is slow moving, and pretty bleak, but I did stay interested throughout and thought the acting was pretty good. I can't imagine I'll remember much about this years from now, nor will I be likely to watch it again, but it's a decent way to pass an hour and a half, which is more than can be said for some of the other movies I've watched lately.

• Jan 10, 2012

Interesting seeing David Arquette ... I think he acted very well in this

Interesting seeing David Arquette ... I think he acted very well in this

• Oct 08, 2011

"Johns" are pimps but this movie is really about men named John. There's David Arquette as the "christ-like" John born on Xmas and seeking to improve himself and his relationship with Luka Haas (in good form) as Donner. It's a movie about redemption but is filled with heavy religious symbolism which diffuses the impact of the drama. It recalls the excellent "Midnight Cowboy" but not as good. David Arquette is the main reason to watch this movie. The actor has never been better and you ache for the actor because you sense that things will go wrong. It's an emotionally wrenching role and Arquette carries it well. Terrence Howard, Arliss Howard, and Eliott Gould offer reliable support. I was touched by this movie and emotionally immersed with Arquette's role.

• Mar 29, 2011

I must agree with one of the critics that called this an edgy and powerful motion picture that hits a nerve because it is so sad to see young people in Santa Monica Blvd selling themselves to the first guy that offers them money. They are being used, exploited and such a promiscuous and fast paced life such as theirs has the potential to end very badly. Very good performances by David Arquette in the lead role as soon to be 21 year old John who wants to spend one night at Park Plaza Hotel but he lacks the money for the room. Also good performances by Terrence Howard as Jimmy the Warlock (his pimp), Wilson Cruz as Mikey, and Lukas Haas as Donner the only one in the movie with common sense and a willl to leave that empty and ugly place of sex and drugs. Will John listen to his friend Donner and leave Santa Monica CA for Camelot, a theme park in Branson MS where they can find decent employment as lifeguards or will he become another statistic, another victim of the male hustler scene? Its a thought provoking movie that will linger with you long after you watch it...Recommended!

• Jun 30, 2009

Didn't enjoy this movie much, but since I saw it years ago, I've had a crush on Lukas Haas that just gets better from film to film.

• Jun 24, 2009

I saw the ending coming before it happened, because they pretty much gave it away in the beginning. Funny how a straight girl can't really get into a movie about gay male prostitutes. And I kept wondering if Courtney Cox has seen it.

• May 22, 2009

David Arquette and Lukas Haas co-star in this indie flick, about an LA street hustler, who enlists the aid of a smitten comrade to help him replenish his stolen cash. pretty good little flick. ** review to be continued **

• Feb 21, 2009

A very sad film deep down, but also one of the more interesting low budget films out there. Starring Lucas Haas, and David Arquette, in an outstanding performance by both, play street hustlers, trying to make a living in Los Angeles under harsh circumstances. All they have is each other. And that is perfectly executed by all. A Must See!

• Aug 03, 2008

Surprisingly good tragedy. Painful and sad, but you weren't expecting a happy ending were you?

• Jul 31, 2008

Gritty,sexy and moving! VERY GOOD!

Gritty,sexy and moving! VERY GOOD!