Jonah - A VeggieTales Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jonah - A VeggieTales Movie Reviews

October 15, 2016
As a VeggieTales fan, this feels very good to put in the theaters and home video.

ANIMATION
The animation is far from amazing. It's just as fluid as fluid can be. Oh, and it feels like amazing CGI combined with stuff made in Blender.

VOICES
The voices are very well done! I love how Archibald (as Jonah), being British, sounds like how he should in the main series itself.

MUSIC
Big Idea actually came up with very good music for this classic! Being more than 10 years old, hearing this film's soundtrack will be considered great!

ANYTHING ELSE?
...no. It's so amazing that I can't say anything else.

OVERALL CAMF-O-METER SCORE
The CAMF-O-Meter tells us that Jonah is considered in the Perfect range! Wow! I can't believe it!

We're out of time for today, readers! Remember, God made you special, and he loves you very much! Bye! (You can go back to your free time.)
October 7, 2016
A childhood favorite that might not hold up that well, but can be enjoyable.
½ August 1, 2016
- [ ] Hey this is QR at you with another review of one of my favourite animation movies. Jonah a veggie tales movie. If you don't know the story of Jonah. I do suggest reading it before watching this version of the story. And also note spoilers for the film. Now this was big ideas firsts movie. They do christain lesion to kids. I remember watching Jonah in theatre when I was two years old and I learned to give people a second chance and even more chances if needed. This film has awesome animation that still holds up in 2016. But if you compare to ice age this movie has way better animation for sure. I probably won't talk the story to much due to most people know the story. But in the beginning bob and some other veggies are on a road trip to see this star called twippo. And Laura (which is the carrot) losses her ticket. And now everyone in the car are all now in a restaurant called see food. Where we meet the pirates who don't do anything (which they get there own film later in 2008) and the pirates who don't do anything tell the story of Jonah. There is a new character in the veggie world and that is calile the caterpillar. And the person who did the voice. They did a great job portraying a Indian accent. People don't like veggie tales movies because well there not major movie flicks. The thing about veggie tales movies. The company doesn't want to be a major company. As long as they have enough people to make either a great movie or great episodes. And they should make a squeal like after Jonah in the bible. I give Jonah a veggie tales movie 4.5/5 stars great animation that still holds up to today's sandereds, great message for kids, great writing from the veggies. Great cometic work from TPWDDA. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to have some laughs. See ya next time. Bye
½ June 18, 2016
Jonah - A VeggieTales Movie is brilliant. VeggieTales tells one of the greatest stories from the Bible in its true form and it is perfect and fun. I would very much suggest this movie.
½ March 4, 2016
Jonah is funny, wise, and colorful.
September 12, 2015
There are good VeggieTales movies, and there are not-so-good ones. Jonah falls more towards "good."
½ August 18, 2015
fun family film one that everyone can sit down to and enjoy
June 10, 2015
Awesome fun funny veggie tales movie. When I was younger I loved the tv show and can't wait for the new tv show about Larry and the tomato, I always forget his name. This movie tells kids about church if you don't go. Great animation and love the story.
May 25, 2015
Confusing and very boring
½ April 27, 2015
You know what's funny? I think a movie centered around talking vegetables is the best religious movie I've ever seen. And you know what? I'm okay with that.
January 3, 2015
Everyone deserve a second chance!
November 11, 2014
This film is the most nostalgic movie, save for Shrek, for me personally, being born in the year of 1998. But for a Christian movie to still be dear to the heart of an agnostic 16 year old, you know the message got lost in there somewhere...
October 9, 2014
Just because I am not a Christian doesn't mean that I can't recognize the good moral lessons that religions, like Christianity, teach. In fact, I have been a huge fan of the Veggie Tales cartoons since their inception. My kids are too! So when the long, long, long-awaited Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie was finally released, needless to say, we were first in line. The humor, music and downright magical way Big Idea Productions pulls off such fables while remaining entertaining to both adults (even non-religious ones, like me) and children, asstounds me. It always has. Veggie Tales has become a marketing phenomenon with a myriad of toys, games, videos, CDs, etc. Can Big Idea succeed in the movie industry as well with a Christian-based cartoon? As much as I love these guys, I'm afraid not.

I was really excited about seeing this movie, believe it or not. I looked forward to reviewing it as well. I seriously point to the Veggie Tales series as an example that I, a non-religious person, can appreciate a well-told story and entertaining cast, even if they are religion-based. To top it off, my kids have always loved them and learned a lot through them. It was only fitting that we patronize the theater in support of this feature film.

With popcorn and soda in-hand, we sat down for the relatively short 1:23 production. Animation-wise, it's just as clever as ever. the 3-D computer animated food characters are superb. The comedy is rich, the characters are cute and the meaning is memorable. However, stretching out the story of Jonah and the whale into a feature-length film was entirely too much for this Veggie Tales fan to handle.

I knew something was wrong when my 2 year-old, notorious for staring at the television and reciting the dialogue in several cartoons word-for-word (you think we let him watch too much TV?), started getting bored. Yes sir, Big Idea's big idea to move to the big screen was a mistake. Nothing about Jonah was spectacular enough to warrant big screen treatment. In fact, I wonder if Jonah's constant release postponement was due to the fact that executives struggled with whether or not to release it in the theaters, an untested market, versus home video, an already proven market for Big Idea, for such a mild, lackluster feature.

If you know the story of Jonah and the whale and are Veggie Tales fans, I still urge you to wait until home video. Save your popcorn and soda budget for something less expensive, like college tuition. I predict Jonah will make its paltry $14 budget back, and then some, considering how full the theater was this weekend. But I predict massive drop-off next week, resulting in most of its money coming from the home video market, where it should have been in the first place. Nice try Big Idea, but Jonah wasn't much of a GOOD idea.
½ August 5, 2014
a religious ad of utmost dumbness.
June 20, 2014
Brought out the inner child in me
½ June 1, 2014
Aside from Monsters Inc, this was one of the first movies I ever saw in theaters, and to be honest, watching it after several years later, is funner, smarter, and more mature than I remembered as a kid, and I don't care if I'm an Agnostic, I love this movie, and its still has a place in my favorite films of all time. :)
May 18, 2014
Jonah is honestly a childhood favorite of mine, a film that sticks true to the fun and source but also gives some great lessons. VeggieTales just knows how to bring out the kid in me.
½ February 22, 2014
my favorite veggie tales' movie...or at least one of them...
January 30, 2014
I not ashamed to admit it, when I was little, I used to watch Veggie Tales ALOT! When I first I heard that there's was going to be a movie of Veggie Tales, I was feeling happy of joy. I haven't watched this in awhile. but from what I got form this, It was better then I remember it. The thing I love about this is that the fact they didn't need to use Pop cultural references or modern jokes to make it work like most kid films these days. All they need is a simple well telling of a well known Bible story, great animation, some nice songs, and good roles form characters who are well known to many who grew up with the show. If you love Veggie Tales and have little kids, then you should have no problem with this film.
½ September 30, 2013
One of the last great kids movies! After that it has all gone downhill (with a few exceptions).