Joueuse (Queen to Play) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joueuse (Queen to Play) Reviews

January 2, 2016
An excellent film on many levels. Better to get the DVD so you can see "The making of . . . " which enriches the understanding of the film and adds some interesting facts about kids playing chess. I don't ever watch movies twice before returning, but this may prove to be the exception.
December 10, 2015
she did not say much in that movie!!
½ November 16, 2015
A delightful film about a hotel maid in Corsica who stumbles upon guests playing chess, falls in love with the scene, and later on deepens her friendship with one of her employers who happens to be a quite decent player of chess.

Later on she discovers that she has quite a talent for playing it, though this newfound passion of hers comes at a cost to her actual obligation to her family.

In American eyes, the film can be seen as quite monotonous and boring, but overall I find it a pleasant, relaxing French summer film to be enjoyed on a lazy weekend.
April 18, 2015
excelente! una historia movilizante, muy sutil y simple. Muy recomendada
April 15, 2015
Excellent movie if you like chess
January 2, 2014
Great movie to begin the new year. "Take a risk and you may lose, risk nothing and you will lose."
½ January 1, 2014
This movie doesn't offer anything compelling or original in storyline, but Sandrine Bonnaire is very good as Helene. That's about it. All the other characters are at best (and only occasionally) two-dimensional. But Bonnaire infuses Helene with a quiet dignity and determination.
½ December 31, 2013
An elegant and subtle movie with wonderful acting and a screenplay that retains crispness and relevance. Throughout the movie, you keep yearning for just a little more of each character but the director keeps you glued to the plot.
½ December 24, 2013
Cute movie to watch on a lazy day or holiday! Will power is in the queen on any chess game!
October 26, 2013
Interesting film...it's a "light" watch. Journey of a married woman with "taking a risk" with chess...and her life... The quote is..."if you take a risk you may lose...if you don't take any risks, you always lose..." While it doesn't have "excitement"...it does have the simple heart...and when you need to be grounded...watch this film.
March 21, 2013
Better if one understands French and perhaps life itself!
December 13, 2012
It was a so-so film; like, one of those simple plots around a charming setting. However, I liked the idea of a woman's empowerment playing through the entire film. Our heroine being a cleaning lady with a lackluster domestic life, chess was the only way she could forget about it once in a while. Perhaps this is better explained by the stark contrast of our heroine's life and the woman she sees playing chess at the start of the film - a goddess-like Jennifer Beals. It does empower without trying too hard; because, really, getting a point across is not always successfully done by gruesome and/or violent images. Empowering a woman, in this case, could be as easy as giving her a hobby - chess.
November 28, 2012
This film is more delightful the second time around simply because Sandrine Bonnaire is so captivating an actor.
November 14, 2012
A nice sweet film of a cleaning woman wanting to learn chess and then goes on to winning the tournament inspite of all odds. A typical French film making style. without big background as is common with Hollywood films. This is good film to watch.
½ September 27, 2012
I loved the subtle non verbal acting in this poignant inspiring movie. A perfect example of how one affects those around them, creating initial moments of cayuse and frustration, when they decide to improve themselves. I enjoyed a movie that could show how a man and a woman could have a relationship that was enriching without being lovers or sexual. What a concept! Pfft...
½ August 14, 2012
I had to think, do I want to watch a movie about chess? And then I thought, well it can't really all be about chess, there has to be some other storylines there, right? Yes, but it's all woven around chess. I really liked this movie a lot.
August 13, 2012
I thought that I would lose interest in this film fast, but found the characters interesting.
August 1, 2012
Wow, Corsica looks pretty amazing! A French movie about a maid living on Corsica and who stumbles across her muse one day (Jennifer Biels) and discovers her love for the game of Chess. She starts to play regularly with one of her reclusive bosses (Kline) and develops into a tournament level player. Check this one out if you like foreign movies, and know its not serious or too lighthearted either, very level.
June 25, 2012
Slow at times, but I'm glad I stuck with it, it's a feel good movie.
June 3, 2012
A nice, quiet afternoon movie. No thrills. No excitement. A little slow, but interesting at the same time...something French films are famous for.