Journey to the End of the Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Journey to the End of the Night Reviews

August 18, 2009
wasn't my favorite Brendan Fraser movie.
½ April 4, 2009
A father-son team (Scott Glenn and Brendan Fraser) are pimps in Sao Paolo. They find some drugs and it's up to kitchen boy (Mos Def) to make deal with the Africans. Not suprisingly things don't go according to plan and the son starts to act a little crazy. Excellent cast with Brendan giving very memorable performance as a hysteric, coke snorting lunatic. Nice cinematography from the dark streets of Sao Paolo. Still it's Brendan who gets most of the points, although Scott Glenn was pretty good too.
aprilneo
February 20, 2009
Brendan was truly believably evil. I was amazed. A crazy, shocking, twisted, little movie. Mos Def is the most underrated actor today. He was awesome. Scott Glenn's portrayal of an older, sad, burnt out man who just wants to get out was just that...sad. Do you really want to know what the old, blind fortune telling man has to tell you?
½ February 4, 2009
I completely missed this one when it came out, but I was looking at Mos Def's filmography, and it popped up as one of the 2 or 3 movies of his that I haven't seen. Sounded halfway interesting, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Overall, a decent movie, and Mos does a really great job. Brendan Fraser is notable as well, but the movie itself doesn't bring a whole lot new to the table. The "drug deal gone bad" scenario has been done before, and it was pretty predictable ... but I wouldn't call it a waste of time. Maybe a tad depressing, but worth watching.
½ January 1, 2009
I thought this was very good. Brendan Fraser should do more roles like this, he shows his range from most of the other goofball stuff he does. Very believable and Mos Def is very good. I really like Scott Glenn in this movie as well (the guy that played the FBI head in Silence of the Lambs)

The movie kept my interest throughout and the Sao Paulo scenes were stunning.

I am very glad I DVRed this recently, I really didn't know anything about it and just took a chance. Please Brendan, expand your horizons and do these roles more often!

I recommend this!
December 25, 2008
Well this film was nowhere near how bad it looks. For one, Mos Def was awesome as the Nigerian dishwasher. Brendan Fraseier gives an explosive performance, like nothing you ever seen him before
½ December 24, 2008
great performance by all actors. i felt the characters needed a bit more story. also great to see mos def in this as well.
December 7, 2008
I really like this movie even though I caught it in the middle (second half perhaps) when the son and father are talking about Wemba and the money. I feel Brendan should do more roles like this and if at times his acting seems over the top it is because he is supposed to be a larger to life, full-of-himself character. However Mos Def stole the show...the cinematography too is very excellent.
November 24, 2008
the making of film on the dvd is better than the film. another one that needed a good editor. the pieces were all there but not compiled very well. the performances by mos def, scott glenn, and brendan fraser were all really great.
½ November 4, 2008
Brendan Fraser is gay...in a gay way.
October 13, 2008
Well acted, entertaining... not a feel good movie
½ September 15, 2008
Maybe it got better, but I didn't have time to finish it. It seemed like the only thing worth watching it for was Mos Def's performance.
½ September 13, 2008
this movie wasn't terrible, but it wasn't amazing either. i really liked the cinematography and the overall look and mood of the film, but the story and pacing just didn't do it for me. personally i don't think Brendan Fraser worked as this character. he seemed to maniacal. Mos Def did a fantastic job though and came close to saving the entire movie. probably worth watching once, but not the kind of movie that would be good for repeat viewings.
August 14, 2008
Fraser really comes through with a great performance and Mos Def never ceases to amaze me. He honestly has acting talent. Just a movie about a bad situation that keeps you edgy.
½ August 11, 2008
Pretty interesting movie. Wasn't used to seeing Brendan Fraser play this type of character. I liked Mos Def as an African immigrant as well as the dark, muggy backdrop of Brazil.
½ August 6, 2008
not totally bad but not so good either. Mos Def and Brendan Fraser but in standable performances but outside of that this movie fell flat and didnt succeed in what it attempted to be
July 26, 2008
I did not see this movie in 3d but it was excellant regardless! Good family fare and Brendan Fraser adds some good comic touches. Super cgi effects!
July 11, 2008
Hmmm has Mos Def in it, a interesting plot. I might check it out.
½ May 26, 2008
Great setting--kept me from being bogged down in a rather simplified story. The ending, as to be expected, was a let-down and the acting was rather wooden on several occasions.
May 24, 2008