Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (Doppelganger) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (Doppelganger) Reviews

½ May 13, 2009
Interesting plot. A quite slow start of the show. Except that the ending is quite disappointing.
½ May 5, 2009
An underdeveloped premise, perhaps better suited to an episode of a Sci-Fi television programme (as are the cast), but its does have curiousity value - due to the great model-work from Gerry Anderson.
½ April 24, 2009
Decent 60s scifi, shows exactly where Gerry Anderson's later attempts at live action (UFO and Space 1999) came from. Fortunately this is better than a lot of that and the feature budget makes for some excellent model-work special effects.
February 16, 2009
Being the sci-fi fan that I am, I've always been curious about this film. So I was excited to see Journey to the Far Side of the Sun finally get a new release on DVD (the previous print had been fetching $100 on eBay - I'm sure those people wish they had their money back - but more about that in a second).

Anyway, the premise of this film (just like the Twilight Zone episode "The Parallel") is that there is an undiscovered planet resembling Earth on the "other side of the sun". This planet is of course exactly like ours except that it's inverted. This basically just means all their letters and signs are reversed and people drive on the wrong side of the road.

Sound intriguing? Well, that's pretty much it for the plot. The first hour or so is dedicated to the preparations for the journey to this other planet. It's just tedious scenes of switches being pressed, exterior shots of the launching pad, banal dialog, etc. There's no point to it whatsoever. To help matters, Gerry Anderson somehow managed to find the most boring actors in the history of cinema to play these roles.

Anyway, once the crew FINALLY lands on the planet (after an interminable sequence of the astronauts sitting and literally sleeping in their spaceship), Roy Thinnes astutely notices the copy is all backwards on a bottle of cologne and hops back on another ship to tell people about what he has discovered. Oops he never gets to do it as he crash lands and dies. The end!

Oh wait, there's a bonus scene of one of the space executives hurling himself into a mirror in his wheelchair at the end. I guess he wanted out of this film too.

I'm really surprised a under-developed premise like this could get made even back in the 60s. It actually made me feel like I had to "make up" for wasting the 2 hours I spent watching it by doing something, anything more rewarding.
December 19, 2008
This was a precursor to Space 1999 (the TV show) Special effect were failry good but it was still used British Sci-fi mentality which I find less sofisticated than american. This was an interesting movie although the theory behind the story is impossiblle.
½ December 7, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I like the detail of Gerry Anderson special effects using models. But his script is very poor, and seems like a couple episodes of the original Twilight Zone--without improving upon it. It also reminds me of the 70's British sci fi tv cult classic called UFO.
December 4, 2008
Good for the most part, but painfully slow at times.
November 27, 2008
One of the finer example on how to make a science fiction movie. This simple and entertaining entry has good story, respectable acting and decent special effects (love those models and miniatures). The last scene is a big let-down and confusing. What exactly is the purpose of Wymark's character in crashing against the mirror?
½ October 4, 2008
just ok a little slow but lame special effects
September 14, 2008
Happily, this classic offering has just become available on DVD once more, so is easier to find in the high street.

For fans of Gerry Anderson it's a must.
The story line is intelligent and the special effects and model work are superb.
Gerry commissioned a range of road-worthy full size vehicles to be made for this movie which he later used in his UFO series. The music by Barry Gray is wonderful, the costume designs (although dated by today's standards) still look good and the cast is impressive.
Everything was set for the making of a blockbuster movie, but unfortunately it didn't do too well at the box office. (But by the same token, neither did Thunderbirds Are Go, but that doesn't stop it from being a much-loved movie)!
½ September 13, 2008
cool and surprisingly bleak sci-fi movie with a great idea behind it. but it is at times poorly executed in certain areas. but this film is pretty good and original.
½ September 3, 2008
Quite bleak and insane! Fascinating to see how Anderson treats human actors instead of puppets. A must for fans of Team America: World Police.
August 14, 2008
First rate model effects work by Derek Meddings, and a "Twilight Zone" type story. Roy Thinnes puts the paranoid intensity he displayed in "The Invaders" to good use here.
If you liked the "UFO" tv series (which came after this) and/or the Anderson's other works, you'll love this. Just re released (2008) on DVD.
August 12, 2008
Mildly interesting for fans of the UFO TV series, since it re-used a lot of the props, costumes and even actors! This film is OK but just a bit slow and unexciting.
August 4, 2008
I can't believe how much I miss seeing models in movies. Not, you know, fashion model-like models but miniature models of spaceships and cities and stuff. Also, you can't go wrong with a reverse-earth premise. Sometimes I feel like I'm on reverse-earth.
July 28, 2008
That's great stuff... thanks for looping me in... How's business? Do any side work?
July 28, 2008
I am not big into Sci Fi, but this one looks promising - I love old films.
July 26, 2008
The movie is certainly one of the most underrated Sci-fi films. The ending alone makes it worth adding to your collection.
July 17, 2008
An interesting science fiction film with an intriguing, if far fetched premise. The movie is sometimes hard to follow and the pace is far too slow at times.
July 13, 2008
Made during the time when mankind was starting to explore more, going to the moon and such, and people having grand visions of us living on the moon by this time, this movie was actually extremely well made. Dismiss the science that we know (now) is obviously impossible and just enjoy the story. And astounding special effects, which prove that you can get realistic looking from models!