Journey To The West Reviews

• Apr 03, 2020

Journey to the West has the same beats as Stephen Chow's earlier film, Kung Fu Hustle, but isn't quite as funny or heartfelt. However, it is still plenty entertaining, and like his earlier films, is sustained with visual and emotional variety. The movie holds no punches. It contains some truly disturbing images and not even cute children are safe from the demons, assuring the viewer the stakes are real, even if the action is over-the-top and cartoony.

• Feb 18, 2020

Awesome FUN! Great fantasy that keeps you laughing!

Awesome FUN! Great fantasy that keeps you laughing!

• Sep 18, 2019

Affectionately made and well-paced, Journey To The West: Conquering the Demons never fails to entertain, delight and humor the audience, balancing comedy, action and romance in this attempt at a prequel to a beloved classic.

• Feb 17, 2019

I was intrigued by this movie, as it has stephen chows name to it. It didnt disappoint but it did miss the mark for me. Still I didnt mind it and it just adds to his repertoire

• Sep 10, 2018

I liked [kinda] "Kung Foo Hustle." Wasn't aware of this one. Lokking forward to this on my wihlist

• Feb 08, 2018

Not bad, some of emotional scene

Not bad, some of emotional scene

• Sep 29, 2017

Granted, I'm not that familiar with the classic story this is based on. But I did have some laugh out loud moments and visual effects are pretty decent. At least Shu Qi has something to do in this movie, unlike her Mojin flick.

• Morris N Super Reviewer
    Apr 17, 2017

Well written, well directed, well acted. Exceptional.

Well written, well directed, well acted. Exceptional.

• Mar 20, 2017

At times horrific, funny, sad and fantastic, I quite enjoyed this movie! Also makes me want to visit China. Such pretty areas they filmed!

• Mar 10, 2017

I'm amazed just how much I am enjoying this film. It is stupid-funny (I find myself laughing well after the joke is over), visually stunning, ridiculous, crazy, goofy, and yet more imaginative and clever than anything I've seen from China. The situational humor is really well done and the left and right turns this movie makes keeps it fresh and unpredictable. No matter how many movies you have seen, you have never seen anything like this before. If you don't like silly humor and are too rooted in reality to let go now and then, this is not a story or style for you. But this hooked me before I was even aware I was totally enjoying it. I watch a wide variety of genres but this one may take the cake for eye-popping, goof-ball, escapism.