Reviews

• Sep 01, 2019

humorous story in the continuation of the Monkey king journey as they battle demons and each other

• Jan 24, 2019

Journey to the west 3 ..... Please......

Journey to the west 3 ..... Please......

• Sep 01, 2018

None of the actors were back as the main 4, Shu Qi appeared but just for Tang Sanzang, the three demons were boiled down to one characteristic except for Wukong, and never touched on their pasts so their characters were incredibly one dimensional. Costume design reverted the three back to more of a demon-like look while it looks cool, doesn't have anything to do with their redemption. The storyline felt more forced if anything while it was an adventure on their way to India, the atmosphere broke the feeling. Tang Sanzang completely changed his character, he didn't hold any of the virtues that he had in the first movie and was cruel to the three which was completely out of character. Aesthetically I enjoyed it but plot wise it was awful, the characters weren't written well as the first one even if KL Hog and Sandy had no speaking lines in the past. At least they had some depth in the first movie with the teacher talking about them.

• Jul 20, 2017

It's rubbish, and only managed to draw people to watch because of the director and producer, and because it's Chinese New Year then. It's horrible and I feel cheated.

• Jun 02, 2017

It's not that good compare to other movies of Stephen Chow, but it's okay to watch

• Feb 20, 2017

An interesting and dramatic journey to the west. This should be how the monkey king and his junior fellow apprentices look like. They should be the same terrifying as other monsters.

• Feb 11, 2017

Good 3D, good special effect. However, the script is weak and dull dialogue(though I watched original Mandarin version). Also, Kris Wu and Lin Gengxin did very bad, and definitely miscast. I believe that it can be a good movie if Stephen Chow directs by himself, not Tsui Hark. They both are different styles and don't match with each other. I did enjoy the first one, which was surprisingly good. But now this sequel is quite disappointed. (2.5 out of 5)

• Feb 11, 2017

Was this movie made by a 10 year old? Or was this movie made for 10 year olds? Easily one of the worst movies I have seen in my life. P.S. They have GOT to stop using the "Kung Fu Hustle" sound track for the nth time.

• Feb 10, 2017

Well done again Chinese Production for bringing color, creativity, and imagination alive! Nice story line too...

• Feb 08, 2017

One of Hong Kong's legendary Directors Hark Tsui teams up with nonsense comedic Stephen Chow. Tsui having filmed the finest in the Martial Art world, such as Van Damme, Jackie Chan and possibly most famous for directing most of the Once Upon A Time In China saga with Jet Li. Stephen Chow is best know for starring in those silly yet entertaining comedies, Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer. It's a sequel to a film I haven't seen, which Chow himself directed, Journey To The West: Conquering The Demons, but is still based on the great 16th century titular novel by Ming dynasty author and poet, Wu Cheng'en, a piece of Chinese literature that has inspired so much, especially with the Monkey King Character being a central character. Yup, it's the famed trickster hero The Monkey King that's appeared countless times in televised entertainment, most notable the successful 80's TV series Monkey, the Forbidden Kingdom played by Jet Li and more recently played by Donnie Yen in the Monkey King films. He's the mischievous God-like hero with the ability to see through anyone's disguise, has superhuman strength, immortality and armed with his enchanted staff and golden dragon armour. This time played brilliantly by Kenny Lin. Though the story is balanced with the Monk, Tang Sanzang played by Kris Wu, who is Master and on a pilgrimage to India to hopefully receive ancient Buddha scriptures to bring back to China. The Monkey King is one of three disciplines, exiles from the celestial heavens for misbehaving, who have agreed to aid and protect the Monk on his journey to the west in return for forgiveness and enlightenment. The other two disciplines being Zhu Ba Jie or Pig, and Sha Wüjing or Sandy. Pig being a lustful flirt obsessed with all things beautiful and Sandy, a fish deity, a loyal and smart follower in the party. The four of them travel westward and banish any demons they come across on the way, one key demon being similar to Theoden's possession in the Two Towers. The film keeps quite true to the myth, bearing the characteristics of each character incredibly well, and whilst many would see them as silly or pointless heroes. They're exactly as the literature states. Reluctant, disobedient, argumentative yet loyal and courageous. It's a shame the film doesn't explain their initial meeting, or have more insight into each character, but I can only assume that's all been done in the first film, which I am now intrigued to watch. None of the original cast return, apart from Chinese super model Qi Shu, better known for her roles in The Transporter, Three Times and Jackie Chan's Gorgeous. However it appears to be an uncredited role, or the actress that plays her is a doppelgänger. The film is totally crazy, with slapstick comedy elements and incredibly vibrant action sequences that made me feel like I was standing in a classic gaming arcade. All those flashing neons and loud echoing chants and pings. It does, unfortunately become a massive mess making little sense by the end of the film, it quickly goes from one scene to the next without giving the audience anytime to digest what they've just seen. Running Time: 6 The Cast: 6 Performance: 6 Direction: 6 Story: 5 Script: 5 Creativity: 7 Soundtrack: 7 Job Description: 5 The Extra Bonus Points: 0 53% 5/10 www.spoileralertreviews.co.uk