Joy Baba Felunath Reviews

• Jan 12, 2019

A masterpiece in every aspect.

A masterpiece in every aspect.

• Feb 18, 2018

A film entirley comprised of men

A film entirley comprised of men

• Jul 15, 2012

Did you know that Satyajit Ray wrote a children's adventure book series called "Feluda"? He did, and his second to feature the detective character, "Joi Baba Feludath" is about the case of a stolen Elephant statue. You'll get mystery, intrigue, murder attempts, and a super-fit body builder. Definitely a lot of fun to watch, and makes you want to either watch more, or go out and get the books.

• Jan 21, 2010

Feluda's a typical storybook detective, with some shrewd instincts and a pair of helpful sidekicks. It's not a bad mystery, but it isn't terribly satisfying either. It also could have easily lost about 20 minutes. But it's interesting to see Ray break away from his usual melodrama, and he handles it fairly well. Also the film is shot better than a lot of his other color films, and he makes some nice use of architecture during a chase scene.

• Mar 22, 2009

Joi Baba Felunath released in 1978 based on one of the short stories of Ray himself which I happen to read a translation late last year by Gopa Majumdar. The one titled ?The Mystery of the elephant God? Not only will Ray be remembered for his contribution to Indian Cinema industry but also for creating a near equivalent of Sherlock Holmes in India,Pradosh Mitter a.k.a Feluda and his eager sidekick Topshe. I do not know how to begin to write a review of this movie, for one has to see Ray to know Ray and experience him and his characters. Once again Soumitra Chatterjee takes up the role of Bengali Detective Feluda who on a vacation to Varanasi gets involved in the case of a missing Ganesha statue. I can remember every scene in the movie though I couldn?t follow a few scenes without the subtitles, the story being very Indian to the core citing examples of the character of Lalmohan Ganguly the bumbling author who comes up with unimaginable solutions like a gem in the mouth of a crocodile, the swamiji on the banks of the Ganges who calls himself Machli Baba, the small boy in the house who thinks he is a character out of comic books and an old man who reads detective novels, the movie swirls around with required amounts of comedy and thriller. No doubt Soumitra Chatterjee is a treat to watch. Watch it someday with children they are sure to enjoy even if they do not know the language, my eight year old cousin did. All praises to Satyajit Ray