Joyeux NoŽl (Merry Christmas) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joyeux NoŽl (Merry Christmas) Reviews

July 19, 2016
A movie that is simultaneously heartwarming and heartbreaking.
February 1, 2016
Cuando se pierde la razon de pelear
January 16, 2016
A film about an extraordinary event, or more accurately events on the front of WWI, "the war to end all wars". Ethereal music, especially Stille Nacht & the new version of Ave Maria. In fact, Joyeux Noel is a hymn of peace on earth. The tendency is to compare it to other war films such as All Quiet on the Western Front, but it's not in the same genre - "Universal human goodwill transcends national dogmas"
Joyeux Noel has become one of our Christmas favourites.
January 8, 2016
When I saw a Nostalgia Critic video, he brought up Joyeux Noel which got me very curious to see it. The thing is however, I haven't got the chance to see it for years. Recently I actually found the film in the library and I got very excited to see it. I wished that I found it before Christmas because Joyeux Noel could've been a great end to Christmas of 2015, but I guess it's better late then never. The film is based on a historical event in WW1 where the soldiers actually make a truce to each other for Christmas Day. The story is really good and it makes me surprised that the stuff they did during the truce were still based on a true story. The acting is really good, and the writing is very well written. The movie shows the humanity in it which makes it feel very human, seeing that the soldiers from both sides are not that different from each other then they thought. The soundtrack is beautiful to listen to, and it gives in for some sentimental moments that are emotionally well done. It sets up the truce fairly well, and it makes you care about the soldiers from all the sides. There are some beautiful and memorable moments in it, and the movie did a great job of giving some screen-time with the soldiers. The movie made me felt very happy and I'm glad that I watched it as Joyeux Noel is one of the best war films that I've seen in years, and also one of the best Christmas movies that I've actually seen.
December 25, 2015
It is not a perfect film and it does feel too basic at time but What a beautiful and touching story To remember;a great story about hope.One day will man will all live at peace together,I believe it.
December 14, 2015
Excellent. Based on actual events, answers the question "What if they gave a war and nobody came?"
½ August 9, 2015
8/8/15 Cinema Now

This is a warm, beautiful and telling story of the horror and absurdity of war. The soldiers who fight it and die and suffer in it and the out of touch leaders who prosecute it but remain safe and far removed from the reality of it. This is a touching story made all the better because it is based on actual events on Christmas Eve, 1914.
April 5, 2015
This a film about WWII which tries to convice us that Europeans has no reason to fight againts each other, since they are the same nation.
February 14, 2015
The message that resonates here is that the power of love is much stronger than the power of hate.
½ January 13, 2015
Merry Christmas is fascinating and touching, but unfortunately too slow.

The fact that it's based on a true story really did manage to get my interest. This is not a classic war movie; it's much more than that. It's amazing to see people from different nations interact like we humans are all the same. It also gives a new and nuanced perspective on WW1. We see the war from 3 different angles, the French, Scottish and the Germans. The movie incapacitates our differences and show that we are all living on the same earth, and that we can get along. We only have to talk. I admit that there are some slow and less entertaining scenes in this movie, and I expected much more action. But I still enjoyed it!

Merry Christmas (Joyeux NoŽl in French) gets a 7/10.
January 11, 2015
6 stars!! Based on a true amazing, moving drama
January 9, 2015
This beautifully shot and touching film about the French, Scottish and German soldiers preparing to optn their presents on X-mas eve 1914 is not to be missed. It is superbly acted and written and can't help but touch the viewer emotionally. We loved this poignant and sentimental journey.
January 2, 2015
I was prepared for a more action war movie when i saw this but it ended up with to much drama. Decent story and overall okey movie tho.
December 28, 2014
This is the best Christmas/War film.
½ December 23, 2014
A unique war film, 'Joyeux Noel' is more about the human capacity for forgiveness and understanding even in the face of horror. It boasts a fine range of European talent, including the likes of a young Daniel Bruhl, a moving but sparse score, and rather convincing recreation of the tight, filthy trench life.
½ December 18, 2014
Good movie based on the true story of the German, French and Scots soldiers calling a temporary truce to celebrate Christmas during the first world war.
½ December 17, 2014
The all the history of one section is put into one story. A very touching Christmas story!
December 11, 2014