Ju-on: The Grudge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ju-on: The Grudge Reviews

September 20, 2016
Japanese people really know how to scare. A masterpiece of Takashi Shimizu. Don't watch this alone. This is the reason why I close all open doors in my house.
½ September 30, 2015
Not without its scary and iconic moments, but the original version of "The Grudge," the third film in a series of four, is essentially just a creepypasta - and not even the best creepypasta out there, falling victim to cliches, major gaps in narrative clarity, lukewarm acting and uninteresting directing.
July 31, 2015
There's no doubt that Ju-on: The Grudge delivers some chills to its audience, but its unnecessary jump scares, lack of storyline, and boring characters make this Japanese horror attempt not worth your time
July 6, 2015
Part 3 of the series and some money has come in from the first two which they can spend on better production. This is scary because it has freaky kids in it, and scary kids are always a lot scarier than scary grown-ups. I don't know how they got Toshio to stay looking the same age throughout the 3 years since the first film was made, that's freaky in itself. Yes it is quite scary at times but it certainly isn't deserving of the hype. There are scarier films out there.
½ July 5, 2015
I'm not ashamed to say this film truly was terrifying & genuinely scary. Simply the story of a woman & son who where murdered by their husband/dad & anyone who enters the home will be cursed & killed.

Filled with so much fear, terror & tension this film made me jump regularly. A few scenes in particular makes the viewer very uncomfortable.

This technique behind the film was to be commended also, the shots added to the terror & the director really did so much especially the final scenes of the vacant city of Tokyo.
May 16, 2015
The story was good, but Is this really a horror/mystery/suspance movie? I couldn't stop laughing... Every time the kid would say "Nyahhhhh" i would crack myself in laughter... I haven't watch the american version but i hope its not like this one
April 12, 2015
Creepiness in a beautiful form.
March 30, 2015
The original "Grudge". Sure, it delivered a couple of scares and surprises, but sadly, it's overwhelmed by a confusing storyline and several horror clichés. The antagonists might be memorable, but the plot not so much. Definitely worth a watch if you're curious about Japanese horror flicks.
March 12, 2015
classic japanese horror movie
February 8, 2015
One of the scariest movies ever. American horror directors need to watch and take note to this film. This is how it's done.
½ October 19, 2014
Excels at creating a creepy atmosphere of impending doom!
September 15, 2014
Rewatching this after almost 12 years since it first came out, Juon remains one of the scariest movie ever made. It's a perfect horror.
½ August 20, 2014
So this is the first of the Japanese horror movies that I've seen, having heard of them numerous times through their American remakes. What took me by surprise was how un-scary and surprisingly boring it is. This movie is about a house where a gruesome murder of a mother and son took place. As a result< the house is cursed and anyone who enters the house will be killed by the spirits of the mother and son. Ju-on the Grudge has an interesting premise and a few moments of inspired creepiness, but the problem is is that it's incredibly repetitive, has no characters we can care about, and the execution leaves something to be desired. The entire movie is just a series of episodes of the same thing happening to numerous characters. There's also no consistency behind the two spirits actions, sometimes killing their victims immediately and sometimes waiting years for no apparent reason. I acknowledge that this a sequel to two other made-for-tv-movies that I have not seen, so I may have missed something. Regardless, this is a very poor introduction to me for J-horror.
August 17, 2014
Despite its fragmented, diffuse structure and obvious lack of a narrative center, this competent Japanese horror movie manages to create an oppressive atmosphere with an intriguing mystery that can be pretty disturbing sometimes, even if some of it also falls flat.
½ August 7, 2014
½ August 2, 2014
The movie was well crafted with how each story was played out. However because of how the movie was laid out it got to be confusing and it felt a little sloppy on that part. It didn't totally drag me in but the acting was totally believable. The movie wasn't really as scary as it was weird. Weird is the main word that comes to mind when I think of this movie. But it was weird in a good way.
July 11, 2014
Decent play on the original grudge! Nothing special
June 15, 2014
Great directing and order of events.
½ May 28, 2014
I was dissapointed because I was looking forward to this movie after watching the remake. As an admirer of Japanese's work I can say that in this one it was difficult to follow the course of action and it got really messed up.
½ May 26, 2014
Though a little confusing and not revealing enough to fully satisfy, "Ju-On"'s unconventional structure reels in the interest of the audience to further enjoy its horrifically mythical plot and truly frightening images.